* Re: pwd command output
@ 1999-09-30  9:30 Earnie Boyd
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cesare Giuliani, cygwin

--- Cesare Giuliani <giulianc@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using the 19990922 snapshot and I noticed that running the
> pwd command inside the bash I got the following outputs:
>
> /             if I am on the C: drive
> /cygdrive/d   if I am on the D: drive
> /cygdrive/e   if I am on the E: drive

That would be one of the changes.

> and so on....
>
> This behaviour is different from the one I got using the original
> Beta 20.1 version. Should it work this way or is something that
> need to be fixed?
> Is it configurable (e.g., can I get "d:/" as output instead
> of "/cygdrive/d")?

Not d:/ but you could get /d/ if you `mount d:\\ /d'.

BTW, I'm thinking that the cygdrive text is stored in the registry and could be
changed to what you want.  I can't verify that at this time but you could look
using RegEdit.  The /cygdrive/ was added to change the // due to problems with
Win32 thinking it was referencing a network drive.  It could have just as well
have been made an error if the drive isn't mounted rather than defaulting to
anything at all.

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* Re: pwd command output
@ 1999-09-30 11:50 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-09-30 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Cesare Giuliani

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 09:31:10AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> I am using the 19990922 snapshot and I noticed that running the
>> pwd command inside the bash I got the following outputs:
>>
>> /             if I am on the C: drive
>> /cygdrive/d   if I am on the D: drive
>> /cygdrive/e   if I am on the E: drive
>
>BTW, I'm thinking that the cygdrive text is stored in the registry and could be
>changed to what you want.  I can't verify that at this time but you could look
>using RegEdit.  The /cygdrive/ was added to change the // due to problems with
>Win32 thinking it was referencing a network drive.  It could have just as well
>have been made an error if the drive isn't mounted rather than defaulting to
>anything at all.

If you use the mount.exe that comes with the snapshot (read the instructions
at the top of the download web page) then you can change the /cygdrive to
something else using mount.

I always *strongly* discourage people from mucking with the registry when
there are standard programs available to provide this.

-Chris Faylor
-Cygwin Manager
-Cygnus Solutions

* Re: pwd command output
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cesare Giuliani, cygwin

@ 1999-09-30 23:42   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Cesare Giuliani

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 09:31:10AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> I am using the 19990922 snapshot and I noticed that running the
>> pwd command inside the bash I got the following outputs:
>>
>> /             if I am on the C: drive
>> /cygdrive/d   if I am on the D: drive
>> /cygdrive/e   if I am on the E: drive
>
>BTW, I'm thinking that the cygdrive text is stored in the registry and could be
>changed to what you want.  I can't verify that at this time but you could look
>using RegEdit.  The /cygdrive/ was added to change the // due to problems with
>Win32 thinking it was referencing a network drive.  It could have just as well
>have been made an error if the drive isn't mounted rather than defaulting to
>anything at all.

If you use the mount.exe that comes with the snapshot (read the instructions
at the top of the download web page) then you can change the /cygdrive to
something else using mount.

I always *strongly* discourage people from mucking with the registry when
there are standard programs available to provide this.

-Chris Faylor
-Cygwin Manager
-Cygnus Solutions

* Re: pwd command output
@ 1999-10-01  0:28 ` Keith Starsmeare
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Keith Starsmeare @ 1999-10-01  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> BTW, I'm thinking that the cygdrive text is stored in the registry and could be
> changed to what you want.  I can't verify that at this time but you could look
> using RegEdit.  The /cygdrive/ was added to change the // due to problems with
> Win32 thinking it was referencing a network drive.  It could have just as well
> have been made an error if the drive isn't mounted rather than defaulting to
> anything at all.

Why have the drives been mapped under "cygdrive" - that's quite a
confusing name as it's referring to the DOS or Window's drives! Why not
mount them on /dev (in the Unix style) instead?

Keith

* Re: pwd command output
@ 1999-10-01  2:34   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-10-01  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Starsmeare; +Cc: cygwin

Keith Starsmeare wrote:
> [...]
> Why have the drives been mapped under "cygdrive" - that's quite a
> confusing name as it's referring to the DOS or Window's drives! Why not
> mount them on /dev (in the Unix style) instead?

Think twice.
The /dev directory contains devices, not file systems.

Regards,
Corinna

* Re: pwd command output
@ 1999-10-01  5:01   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-10-01  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Starsmeare; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 08:28:31AM +0100, Keith Starsmeare wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>> BTW, I'm thinking that the cygdrive text is stored in the registry and could be
>> changed to what you want.  I can't verify that at this time but you could look
>> using RegEdit.  The /cygdrive/ was added to change the // due to problems with
>> Win32 thinking it was referencing a network drive.  It could have just as well
>> have been made an error if the drive isn't mounted rather than defaulting to
>> anything at all.
>
>Why have the drives been mapped under "cygdrive" - that's quite a
>confusing name as it's referring to the DOS or Window's drives! Why not
>mount them on /dev (in the Unix style) instead?

Because that is not what /dev is used for on UNIX.  For instance, you
don't do "ls /dev/a" to get a directory under UNIX.  You also don't do
something like "cd /dev/fd0" to change your directory there.

If you don't like the "/cygdrive" name you can change it.

-Chris Faylor
-Cygwin Manager
-Cygnus Solutions

* Re: pwd command output
@ 1999-10-31 19:54   ` Keith Starsmeare
From: Keith Starsmeare @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-10-31 19:54     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Starsmeare; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-10-31 19:54     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Starsmeare; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 08:28:31AM +0100, Keith Starsmeare wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>> BTW, I'm thinking that the cygdrive text is stored in the registry and could be
>> changed to what you want.  I can't verify that at this time but you could look
>> using RegEdit.  The /cygdrive/ was added to change the // due to problems with
>> Win32 thinking it was referencing a network drive.  It could have just as well
>> have been made an error if the drive isn't mounted rather than defaulting to
>> anything at all.
>
>Why have the drives been mapped under "cygdrive" - that's quite a
>confusing name as it's referring to the DOS or Window's drives! Why not
>mount them on /dev (in the Unix style) instead?

Because that is not what /dev is used for on UNIX.  For instance, you
don't do "ls /dev/a" to get a directory under UNIX.  You also don't do
something like "cd /dev/fd0" to change your directory there.

If you don't like the "/cygdrive" name you can change it.

-Chris Faylor
-Cygwin Manager
-Cygnus Solutions

* pwd command output
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Cesare Giuliani
From: Cesare Giuliani @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I am using the 19990922 snapshot and I noticed that running the
pwd command inside the bash I got the following outputs:

/             if I am on the C: drive
/cygdrive/d   if I am on the D: drive
/cygdrive/e   if I am on the E: drive

and so on....

This behaviour is different from the one I got using the original
Beta 20.1 version. Should it work this way or is something that
need to be fixed?
Is it configurable (e.g., can I get "d:/" as output instead
of "/cygdrive/d")?

Thanks,
Cesare

* Re: pwd command output
@ 1999-09-30 23:42   ` M. R. Brown
From: M. R. Brown @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cesare Giuliani; +Cc: cygwin

If you look in the registry under `HKCU\Software\Cygnus Solutions' you'll
notice that the snapshot cygwin1.dll has created a new mount scheme.  It's
obvious that this is something going into the next beta release of cygwin
and _not_ a bug.  My advice: stick with cygwin B20.1 unless you're an
active developer of cygwin.  As an answer to your second question, try
using mount to play wtih your mount points.  Please refer to the archives
or cygwin's main site for more info on snapshots :)

Marcus

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Cesare Giuliani wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using the 19990922 snapshot and I noticed that running the
> pwd command inside the bash I got the following outputs:
>
> /             if I am on the C: drive
> /cygdrive/d   if I am on the D: drive
> /cygdrive/e   if I am on the E: drive
>
> and so on....
>
> This behaviour is different from the one I got using the original
> Beta 20.1 version. Should it work this way or is something that
> need to be fixed?
> Is it configurable (e.g., can I get "d:/" as output instead
> of "/cygdrive/d")?
>
> Thanks,
> Cesare

* Re: pwd command output
@ 1999-09-30  9:15 ` M. R. Brown
From: M. R. Brown @ 1999-09-30  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cesare Giuliani; +Cc: cygwin

If you look in the registry under `HKCU\Software\Cygnus Solutions' you'll
notice that the snapshot cygwin1.dll has created a new mount scheme.  It's
obvious that this is something going into the next beta release of cygwin
and _not_ a bug.  My advice: stick with cygwin B20.1 unless you're an
active developer of cygwin.  As an answer to your second question, try
using mount to play wtih your mount points.  Please refer to the archives
or cygwin's main site for more info on snapshots :)

Marcus

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Cesare Giuliani wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using the 19990922 snapshot and I noticed that running the
> pwd command inside the bash I got the following outputs:
>
> /             if I am on the C: drive
> /cygdrive/d   if I am on the D: drive
> /cygdrive/e   if I am on the E: drive
>
> and so on....
>
> This behaviour is different from the one I got using the original
> Beta 20.1 version. Should it work this way or is something that
> need to be fixed?
> Is it configurable (e.g., can I get "d:/" as output instead
> of "/cygdrive/d")?
>
> Thanks,
> Cesare

* pwd command output