* For the FAQ: NT PATH problems
@ 1999-10-01  2:27 Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-10-01  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Q: I'm on NT, and bash can't find any commands unless I give the
whole pathname. CYGWIN.BAT sets the PATH, but bash doesn't
see this - it magically disappears again.

A: Under Settings/Control Panel/System/Environment, there are
system and user variables. You need to have both a "Path" entry in
the upper window, and a "PATH" entry in the lower window. The
latter is probably missing.

Just type PATH into the Variable field, leave Value blank, and click
on Set.

(Don't ask me why Microsoft decided to do it this way.)

>>> Someone with an US NT should check that I guessed all the
translations right.

Regards - Kai Henningsen

--
http://www.cats.ms
Spuentrup CTI       Fon: +49 251 322311 0

* Re: For the FAQ: NT PATH problems
@ 1999-10-01  2:43 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-10-01  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: cygwin

Kai Henningsen wrote:

> Q: I'm on NT, and bash can't find any commands unless I give the
> whole pathname. CYGWIN.BAT sets the PATH, but bash doesn't
> see this - it magically disappears again.
>
> A: Under Settings/Control Panel/System/Environment, there are
> system and user variables. You need to have both a "Path" entry in
> the upper window, and a "PATH" entry in the lower window. The
> latter is probably missing.
>
> Just type PATH into the Variable field, leave Value blank, and click
> on Set.
>
> (Don't ask me why Microsoft decided to do it this way.)

I dont know, why you think so, but that is neither a general
problem, nor a solution. NT concat's both PATHs to generate the
path for the current user. They also doesn't disappear if
they are correct. One problem seems to be the existence of a
trailing semicolon but I don't remember the exact effect. Maybe,
another reader can explain it?

Regards,
Corinna

* Re: For the FAQ: NT PATH problems
@ 1999-10-01  4:38   ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-10-01  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: cygwin

On 1 Oct 99, at 11:43, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Kai Henningsen wrote:
> >
> > Q: I'm on NT, and bash can't find any commands unless I give the
> > whole pathname. CYGWIN.BAT sets the PATH, but bash doesn't
> > see this - it magically disappears again.
> >
> > A: Under Settings/Control Panel/System/Environment, there are
> > system and user variables. You need to have both a "Path" entry in
> > the upper window, and a "PATH" entry in the lower window. The
> > latter is probably missing.
> >
> > Just type PATH into the Variable field, leave Value blank, and click
> > on Set.
> >
> > (Don't ask me why Microsoft decided to do it this way.)
>
> I dont know, why you think so, but that is neither a general
> problem, nor a solution.

It is an exact description of what happened to me, and how I solved
it. Nothing else worked; this worked immediately.

Of course, now that I try to reproduce it, I can't.

(At one time, I had two or three versions of the cygwin directory in
the PATH in a DOS window, and after calling CYGWIN.BAT, bash
showed none of them in the PATH.)

>NT concat's both PATHs to generate the
> path for the current user. They also doesn't disappear if
> they are correct. One problem seems to be the existence of a
> trailing semicolon but I don't remember the exact effect. Maybe,
> another reader can explain it?

Maybe it's something that got broken installing SP5, and got
repaired once the Control Panel poked around. I certainly don't
know.

Regards - Kai Henningsen

--

@ 1999-10-01  5:07     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-10-01  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen, cygwin

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 01:26:40PM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>On 1 Oct 99, at 11:43, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> Kai Henningsen wrote:
>> >
>> > Q: I'm on NT, and bash can't find any commands unless I give the
>> > whole pathname. CYGWIN.BAT sets the PATH, but bash doesn't
>> > see this - it magically disappears again.
>> >
>> > A: Under Settings/Control Panel/System/Environment, there are
>> > system and user variables. You need to have both a "Path" entry in
>> > the upper window, and a "PATH" entry in the lower window. The
>> > latter is probably missing.
>> >
>> > Just type PATH into the Variable field, leave Value blank, and click
>> > on Set.
>> >
>> > (Don't ask me why Microsoft decided to do it this way.)
>>
>> I dont know, why you think so, but that is neither a general
>> problem, nor a solution.
>
>It is an exact description of what happened to me, and how I solved
>it. Nothing else worked; this worked immediately.
>
>Of course, now that I try to reproduce it, I can't.
>
>(At one time, I had two or three versions of the cygwin directory in
>the PATH in a DOS window, and after calling CYGWIN.BAT, bash
>showed none of them in the PATH.)
>
>>NT concat's both PATHs to generate the
>> path for the current user. They also doesn't disappear if
>> they are correct. One problem seems to be the existence of a
>> trailing semicolon but I don't remember the exact effect. Maybe,
>> another reader can explain it?
>
>Maybe it's something that got broken installing SP5, and got
>repaired once the Control Panel poked around. I certainly don't
>know.

In that case, this will not be going into the FAQ.  Sorry.

-chris

* Re: For the FAQ: NT PATH problems
@ 1999-10-11  3:53       ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-10-11  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen, cygwin

Well, I've had it happen again. Details below.

On 1 Oct 99, at 8:09, Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 01:26:40PM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> >> I dont know, why you think so, but that is neither a general
> >> problem, nor a solution.
> >
> >It is an exact description of what happened to me, and how I solved
> >it. Nothing else worked; this worked immediately.
> >
> >Of course, now that I try to reproduce it, I can't.
> >
> >(At one time, I had two or three versions of the cygwin directory in
> >the PATH in a DOS window, and after calling CYGWIN.BAT, bash
> >showed none of them in the PATH.)
> >
> >>NT concat's both PATHs to generate the
> >> path for the current user. They also doesn't disappear if
> >> they are correct. One problem seems to be the existence of a
> >> trailing semicolon but I don't remember the exact effect. Maybe,
> >> another reader can explain it?
> >
> >Maybe it's something that got broken installing SP5, and got
> >repaired once the Control Panel poked around. I certainly don't
> >know.
>
> In that case, this will not be going into the FAQ.  Sorry.
>
> -chris

This is my CYGNUS.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
SET PATH=E:\gcc-2.95.1-mingw32\bin;E:\gcc-2_95-mingw32\bin\;E:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin;%PATH%
SET CDPATH=
SET HOME=/home
SET CYGWIN=ntsec
bash --login

This is the 'Path' system environment var definition:

E:\Perl\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;F:\Programme\Personal Communications;f:\aintx;%SystemRoot%\system32\nls\ENGLISH;%SystemRoot%\system32\nls;E:\NTReskit

The first (and second) Cygwin window opened today had the
following PATH:

PATH='/Perl/bin:/WINNT/system32:/WINNT:/f/Programme/Personal Communications:/f/aintx:/WINNT/system32/nls/ENGLISH:/WINNT/system32/nls:/NTReskit:/cygdrive/w/:/cygdrive/z/:/cygdrive/y/:/cygdrive/x/'

Then I added an empty user environment var PATH, and lo and
behold, the next Cygwin window opened had:

PATH='/gcc-2.95.1-mingw32/bin:/gcc-2_95-mingw32/bin/:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin:/Perl/bin:/WINNT/system32:/WINNT:/f/Programme/Personal
Communications:/f/aintx:/WINNT/system32/nls/ENGLISH:/WINNT/system32/nls:/NTReskit:/cygdrive/w/:/cygdrive/z/:/cygdrive/y/:/cygdrive/x/:/cygdrive/c/WIN95.US:/cygdrive/c/WIN95.US/COMMAND:/cygdrive/c/WIN98.US/COMMAND:/cygdrive/c/WIN98:/cygdrive/c/WIN98/COMMAND:/f/READIBMW:/f/vim/vim55'

So: absence of this variable does not always produce the bug, but
*if* the bug shows up, creating said variable removes it.

Regards - Kai Henningsen

--

@ 1999-10-31 19:54         ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen, cygwin

@ 1999-10-31 19:54   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-10-31 19:54       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen, cygwin

From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: cygwin

From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Q: I'm on NT, and bash can't find any commands unless I give the
whole pathname. CYGWIN.BAT sets the PATH, but bash doesn't
see this - it magically disappears again.

A: Under Settings/Control Panel/System/Environment, there are

@ 1999-10-31 19:54 ` Andrew Dalgleish
From: Andrew Dalgleish @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kai Henningsen'; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Let me guess - you are using NT's boot loader to multiboot, correct?
(You say you are using NT, but your path contains references to
C:\WIN95.US and C:\WIN98.US)

When you use the NT boot loader to boot DOS/95/98 it copies autoexec.bat
and config.sys into c:\, and leaves them there the next time you boot
into NT.
NT does not execute autoexec.bat, but it does parse it for PATH
statements.
This means your NT environment may depend on what other OS you last
used.
Personally I have a one-line autoexec.bat call another batch file
(autodos.bat, auto95.bat, etc) which does the real work.
Because autoexec.bat doesn't contain any path statements NT doesn't get
confused.
(Now this could go in the FAQ :-)

If you add the following to the start of your cygwin.bat it might help
pin down what is going on.
echo %PATH%
pause

Do you also have a ~/.bashrc and/or ~/.bash_profile?

Regards,
Andrew Dalgleish

* Re: For the FAQ: NT PATH problems
@ 1999-10-31 19:54 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, cygwin

--- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
-8<-
> This is my CYGNUS.BAT:
>
> @ECHO OFF
> SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
> SET

PATH=E:\gcc-2.95.1-mingw32\bin;E:\gcc-2_95-mingw32\bin\;E:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin;%PATH%
> SET CDPATH=
> SET HOME=/home
> SET CYGWIN=ntsec
             ^^^^^
Don't overlook this setting with this problem.  Although I can't imagine why it
would cause it, this has issued numerous changes that could cause this.

> bash --login
>
> This is the 'Path' system environment var definition:
>
> E:\Perl\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;F:\Programme\Personal

Communications;f:\aintx;%SystemRoot%\system32\nls\ENGLISH;%SystemRoot%\system32\nls;E:\NTReskit

> The first (and second) Cygwin window opened today had the
> following PATH:
>
> PATH='/Perl/bin:/WINNT/system32:/WINNT:/f/Programme/Personal

Communications:/f/aintx:/WINNT/system32/nls/ENGLISH:/WINNT/system32/nls:/NTReskit:/cygdrive/w/:/cygdrive/z/:/cygdrive/y/:/cygdrive/x/'

> Then I added an empty user environment var PATH, and lo and
> behold, the next Cygwin window opened had:

PATH='/gcc-2.95.1-mingw32/bin:/gcc-2_95-mingw32/bin/:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin:/Perl/bin:/WINNT/system32:/WINNT:/f/Programme/Personal

Communications:/f/aintx:/WINNT/system32/nls/ENGLISH:/WINNT/system32/nls:/NTReskit:/cygdrive/w/:/cygdrive/z/:/cygdrive/y/:/cygdrive/x/:/cygdrive/c/WIN95.US:/cygdrive/c/WIN95.US/COMMAND:/cygdrive/c/WIN98.US/COMMAND:/cygdrive/c/WIN98:/cygdrive/c/WIN98/COMMAND:/f/READIBMW:/f/vim/vim55'

> So: absence of this variable does not always produce the bug, but
> *if* the bug shows up, creating said variable removes it.

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* Re: For the FAQ: NT PATH problems
@ 1999-10-31 19:54   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Kai Henningsen, cygwin

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 05:21:41AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
>-8<-
>> This is my CYGNUS.BAT:
>>
>> @ECHO OFF
>> SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
>> SET
>>
>PATH=E:\gcc-2.95.1-mingw32\bin;E:\gcc-2_95-mingw32\bin\;E:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin;%PATH%
>> SET CDPATH=
>> SET HOME=/home
>> SET CYGWIN=ntsec
>             ^^^^^
>Don't overlook this setting with this problem.  Although I can't imagine why it
>would cause it, this has issued numerous changes that could cause this.

I don't see any reason for NTSEC to cause this problem.

Blaming ntsec for every problem that crops up is not really very productive.

cgf

From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kai Henningsen', Andrew Dalgleish
  Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

On 12 Oct 99, at 10:06, Andrew Dalgleish wrote:

> Let me guess - you are using NT's boot loader to multiboot, correct?

Well, if booting something different less than 1% of the time counts
as multibooting ...

> When you use the NT boot loader to boot DOS/95/98 it copies autoexec.bat
> and config.sys into c:\, and leaves them there the next time you boot
> into NT.
> NT does not execute autoexec.bat, but it does parse it for PATH
> statements.
> This means your NT environment may depend on what other OS you last
> used.

There's only one other OS, and it's only changing when I need to
test software with another Win version, which hasn't happened in a
_long_ time. So I don't see why the environment should change.
Indeed, the modification date of the autoexec.bat is from 1999-09-
20, more than three weeks ago.

Plus, this doesn't explain why changing PATH does not work,
which is the real problem (not whatever is in PATH before trying to
change it).

> If you add the following to the start of your cygwin.bat it might help
> pin down what is going on.

I'll probably try that if it happens again. One of the peculiarities is
that I know how to remove the problem, but not how to provoke it -
once it's removed, it stays removed, at least for some days.

> Do you also have a ~/.bashrc and/or ~/.bash_profile?

The latter. This is it:

#! bash
echo "profile speaking"
umask 022

Regards - Kai Henningsen

From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, earnie_boyd

On 11 Oct 99, at 5:21, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
> -8<-
> > This is my CYGNUS.BAT:
> >
> > @ECHO OFF
> > SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
> > SET
> >
> PATH=E:\gcc-2.95.1-mingw32\bin;E:\gcc-2_95-mingw32\bin\;E:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin;%PATH%
> > SET CDPATH=
> > SET HOME=/home
> > SET CYGWIN=ntsec
>              ^^^^^
> Don't overlook this setting with this problem.  Although I can't imagine why it
> would cause it, this has issued numerous changes that could cause this.

Given that I didn't have anything like this the last time, it can't be
related.

Regards - Kai Henningsen

--

@ 1999-10-12  9:07 ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-10-12  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kai Henningsen', Andrew Dalgleish
  Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-10-12  8:25 ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-10-12  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, earnie_boyd

@ 1999-10-11 17:04 Andrew Dalgleish
From: Andrew Dalgleish @ 1999-10-11 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kai Henningsen'; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-10-11 11:48 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-10-11 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Kai Henningsen, cygwin

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 05:21:41AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
>-8<-
>> This is my CYGNUS.BAT:
>>
>> @ECHO OFF
>> SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
>> SET
>>
>PATH=E:\gcc-2.95.1-mingw32\bin;E:\gcc-2_95-mingw32\bin\;E:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin;%PATH%
>> SET CDPATH=
>> SET HOME=/home
>> SET CYGWIN=ntsec
>             ^^^^^
>Don't overlook this setting with this problem.  Although I can't imagine why it
>would cause it, this has issued numerous changes that could cause this.

I don't see any reason for NTSEC to cause this problem.

Blaming ntsec for every problem that crops up is not really very productive.

cgf

* Re: For the FAQ: NT PATH problems
@ 1999-10-11  5:20 Earnie Boyd
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-10-11  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, cygwin

--- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
-8<-
> This is my CYGNUS.BAT:
>
> @ECHO OFF
> SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
> SET

PATH=E:\gcc-2.95.1-mingw32\bin;E:\gcc-2_95-mingw32\bin\;E:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin;%PATH%
> SET CDPATH=
> SET HOME=/home
> SET CYGWIN=ntsec
             ^^^^^