* Re: Making Cygwin write DOS style text files
@ 1999-10-02 21:04 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-10-02 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Spell, cygwin

--- Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us> wrote:
> On 29 Sep 1999 around 8:08PM (+0200) Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
>
> > [...] but other users out there will think that my Cygwin-based
> > script does a poor job if it produces files that "look weird" in
> > the Microsoft environment.
> >
> > So, while I consider the CR LF convention to be among the stupidest
> > of this century, I still have to stick to it :-(.
>
> You have been assimilated. :-)
>
> Although not as elegant as awk, you may find Rahul Dhesi's
> 'flip' useful. There's a Cygwin port with man pages at
> < http://www.fay.nc.us/~glenn/cygwin/flip-1.00.tgz >.
>
> > It turns out that I was on a text!=binary mount, and that creating
> > a text=binary mount did not solve my problem (either way I get
> > files with a single LF as the end-of-line sequence).
>
> I don't understand why you're getting those type files with text
> mounts (text!=binary). I use text mounts and only text mounts on
> Win95 to achieve what I think you are after. Most files created with
> Cygwin tools on my setup have CR/LF pairs for line endings. I thought
> that was the purpose of text mounts!

There is a bug in the stock b20.1 cygwin that could cause this.  See my pages,
the cygwin documentation pages at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin and the
mail archives for more information on this.

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* Re: Making Cygwin write DOS style text files
@ 1999-10-03  2:45 ` Rabbe Fogelholm
From: Rabbe Fogelholm @ 1999-10-03  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--On Saturday, October 02, 1999, 9:04 PM -0700 Earnie Boyd
<earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us> wrote:
>> On 29 Sep 1999 around 8:08PM (+0200) Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
>>
>> > [...] but other users out there will think that my Cygwin-based
>> > script does a poor job if it produces files that "look weird" in
>> > the Microsoft environment.
>> >
>> > So, while I consider the CR LF convention to be among the stupidest
>> > of this century, I still have to stick to it :-(.
>>
>> You have been assimilated. :-)
>>
>> Although not as elegant as awk, you may find Rahul Dhesi's
>> 'flip' useful. There's a Cygwin port with man pages at
>> < http://www.fay.nc.us/~glenn/cygwin/flip-1.00.tgz >.
>>
>> > It turns out that I was on a text!=binary mount, and that creating
>> > a text=binary mount did not solve my problem (either way I get
>> > files with a single LF as the end-of-line sequence).
>>
>> I don't understand why you're getting those type files with text
>> mounts (text!=binary). I use text mounts and only text mounts on
>> Win95 to achieve what I think you are after. Most files created with
>> Cygwin tools on my setup have CR/LF pairs for line endings. I thought
>> that was the purpose of text mounts!
>
> There is a bug in the stock b20.1 cygwin that could cause this.  See
> my pages, the cygwin documentation pages at
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin and the mail archives for more
> information on this.
>
> =====
> Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Thanks Glenn and Earnie for taking your time with this. I am now in a
bit of a hurry so I will drop my investigations for the time being. I
am beginning to suspect that what I saw was some kind of flaky
behaviour in Cygwin, because yesterday I could not reproduce the
"missing CR" syndrome any more. I tried uninstalling Cygwin and
deleteing the installation directory, but still no "missing CR". BTW,
uninstall does not clear all traces of the installation, my "mount"
info was still present after reinstalling.

Also, it may well be that the more recent cygwin1-19990115.dll would
have cured this problem in the first place. Once again, thanks everyone.

--Rabbe Fogelholm, Ellemtel, Stockholm, Sweden

* Re: Making Cygwin write DOS style text files
@ 1999-10-03 17:38   ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-10-03 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3 Oct 1999 around 11:45AM (+0200) Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:

> I am beginning to suspect that what I saw was some kind of flaky
> behaviour in Cygwin, because yesterday I could not reproduce the
> "missing CR" syndrome any more.

The CYGWIN variable may have had an effect. (See winsup source and
< http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/faq/faq_5.html#SEC73 >.)

> BTW uninstall does not clear all traces of the installation ,

It's always a good idea to manually clear out the registry, system
*.ini files, and system directories after any uninstall (to whatever
extent possible or practical).

-glenn

* Re: Making Cygwin write DOS style text files
@ 1999-10-31 19:54   ` Rabbe Fogelholm
From: Rabbe Fogelholm @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-10-31 19:54 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Spell, cygwin

@ 1999-10-31 19:54     ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-10-31 19:54       ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 29 Sep 1999 around 8:08PM (+0200) Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:

> [...] but other users out there will think that my Cygwin-based
> script does a poor job if it produces files that "look weird" in
> the Microsoft environment.
>
> So, while I consider the CR LF convention to be among the stupidest
> of this century, I still have to stick to it :-(.

You have been assimilated. :-)

Although not as elegant as awk, you may find Rahul Dhesi's
'flip' useful. There's a Cygwin port with man pages at
< http://www.fay.nc.us/~glenn/cygwin/flip-1.00.tgz >.

> It turns out that I was on a text!=binary mount, and that creating
> a text=binary mount did not solve my problem (either way I get
> files with a single LF as the end-of-line sequence).

I don't understand why you're getting those type files with text
mounts (text!=binary). I use text mounts and only text mounts on
Win95 to achieve what I think you are after. Most files created with
Cygwin tools on my setup have CR/LF pairs for line endings. I thought
that was the purpose of text mounts!

I know the above paragraph doesn't help you but perhaps someone else
may have some idea as to why we get different results.

Can you give me a test case?

-glenn

* Re: Making Cygwin write DOS style text files
@ 1999-10-01 23:50     ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-10-01 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Rabbe Fogelholm
From: Rabbe Fogelholm @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I am new to the list; hope this is not a FAQ ( I have read the "How is
the DOS/Unix CR/LF thing handled?" FAQ entry).

My problem: I want to manipulate a text file under Win32, using Cygwin
Tools (grep, sed etc). The resulting file has Unix-style line ends
(single LF) and looks unreadable when opened with Notepad.

My best solution thus far: Filter the text through gawk
'{printf("%s\015\n",$0);}' .

This works, but is there a neater solution?

@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rabbe.Fogelholm, cygwin

In a message dated 9/29/99 12:31:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Rabbe.Fogelholm@ellemtel.se writes:

> file has Unix-style line ends
>  (single LF) and looks unreadable when opened with Notepad.
Use PFE, Word, WordPerfect, or any reasonable editor.

Tim

* Re: Making Cygwin write DOS style text files
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rabbe Fogelholm, cygwin

--- Rabbe Fogelholm <Rabbe.Fogelholm@ellemtel.se> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to the list; hope this is not a FAQ ( I have read the "How is
> the DOS/Unix CR/LF thing handled?" FAQ entry).
>
> My problem: I want to manipulate a text file under Win32, using Cygwin
> Tools (grep, sed etc). The resulting file has Unix-style line ends
> (single LF) and looks unreadable when opened with Notepad.
>
> My best solution thus far: Filter the text through gawk
> '{printf("%s\015\n",$0);}' .
>
> This works, but is there a neater solution?

Don't use Notepad use Wordpad or Write.  It handles the UNIX style line endings.

=====

@ 1999-09-30 23:42   ` Doug Wyatt
From: Doug Wyatt @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Rabbe Fogelholm

Date sent:      	Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:30:01 +0200
From:           	Rabbe Fogelholm <Rabbe.Fogelholm@ellemtel.se>
To:             	cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject:        	Making Cygwin write DOS style text files

Hi,
Are you running this in a "text=binary" mount?
Try it in a "text!=binary" mount.

Doug

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rabbe Fogelholm, cygwin

--- Rabbe Fogelholm <Rabbe.Fogelholm@ellemtel.se> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Doug Wyatt <dwyatt@sunflower.com> advised me to check if I was on a
> text=binary or a text!=binary mount. It turns out that I was on a
> text!=binary mount, and that creating a text=binary mount did not solve
> my problem (either way I get files with a single LF as the end-of-line
> sequence).

What version of the cygwin1.dll are you using?  Stock B20.1 or snapshot dated?

It sounds to me as if you're still using stock B20.1 and if you are you need to
read the verbage on my pages.

=====

From: Rabbe Fogelholm @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi again,

Doug Wyatt <dwyatt@sunflower.com> advised me to check if I was on a
text=binary or a text!=binary mount. It turns out that I was on a
text!=binary mount, and that creating a text=binary mount did not solve
my problem (either way I get files with a single LF as the end-of-line
sequence).

Several people (N8TM@aol.com, Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>,
"McCunney, Dennis" <DMcCunney@roper.com>) advised me to get a more
forgiving editor than Notepad. This is no problem on my part (I use
Emacs when possible), but other users out there will think that my
Cygwin-based script does a poor job if it produces files that "look
weird" in the Microsoft environment.

So, while I consider the CR LF convention to be among the stupidest of
this century, I still have to stick to it :-(.

--Rabbe Fogelholm, Ellemtel

* Re: Making Cygwin write DOS style text files
@ 1999-09-30  5:52 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rabbe Fogelholm, cygwin

@ 1999-09-30  0:56   ` Rabbe Fogelholm