* ANN: das blinkenlights 0.0.1 cygwin distro
@ 1999-11-24 16:29 varun sharma
From: varun sharma @ 1999-11-24 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Everyone,

I got tired waiting for it so put together `das
blinkenlights'' - a cygwin distro. The aim being a
fully functional cygwin install with the minimum of
fuss.

It includes full.exe from Cygnus, a customized
.bashrc & a cygnus.bat replacement. Some ports from
Andy Piper, vim 5.3, rgrep, the cygwin-b20.1 dll, and
an installer script called cygwin-bootstrap (read it
before running it ;-)

Attached are the cygwin-bootstrap script, .bashrc &
cygnus.bat files.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,
- varun

cygwin-bootstrap:
-----------------
#!/bin/bash

# ``das blinkenlights'' is a cygwin distro. The aim is
to have
# a fully functional cygwin install with the minimum
of fuss.
# It includes full.exe from Cygnus, customizable
.bashrc & a
# cygnus.bat replacement. Some ports from Andy Piper,
vim 5.3,
# rgrep, the cygwin-b20.1 dll, and an installer script
called
# cygwin-bootstrap (read it before running it ;-)

# Contact varshar@yahoo.com for any suggestions, bugs
etc.

# Preparation:
#
# 1. plan to keep / & ~ on the same drive, and do not
install full.exe
#    under a directory with spaces in its name e.g.
``Program Files''
# 2. assuming / & ~ are to be on the e: drive, set the
follg environment
#    variables from the Control Panel
#    2.1 CYGWIN_HOME_DRIVE = e:
#    2.2 CYGWIN = title strip_title binmode glob tty
# 3. delete all the cygwin-related ``Cygnus
Solutions'' Registry entries
# 4. with this version of das-blinkenlights, the
full.exe should be
#    installed directly below CYGWIN_HOME_DRIVE. this
limitation will go
#    away real soon now

# Base:
# 1. unzip das-blinkenlights.0.0.1.zip into e.g.
d:\temp
# 2. run d:\temp\full.exe
# 3. start the bash shell(ignore any warnings)
# 4. cd to d:\temp & run this script e.g. $ bash
./cygwin-bootstrap
rm -f /.bash_history
umount /
mount -f $CYGWIN_HOME_DRIVE /
cp ./cygnus.bat /cygnus/cygwin-b20/cygnus.bat
cp ./.bashrc /.bashrc
mkdir /.deleted
mkdir /tmp
mkdir /bin
mkdir /etc
mkdir /usr
cp /cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/bash.exe
/bin/bash.exe
cp /cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/sh.exe
/bin/sh.exe
cp /cygnus/cygwin-b20/etc/termcap /etc/termcap
cp ./rgrep
/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/rgrep
bunzip2 ./cygwin1-20.1.dll.bz2
bunzip2 ./cygwin-b20-local.tar.bz2
gunzip ./vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-without-gui-bin.tar.gz
tar -xvf ./cygwin-b20-local.tar --directory=/usr
tar -xvf ./vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-without-gui-bin.tar
--directory=/

# Additional Ports:
gunzip ./bc-1.05.tar.gz
tar -xvf ./bc-1.05.tar --directory=/

echo "All done.."
echo "Don't forget to replace cygwin1.dll with the one
in $PWD"

.bashrc:
--------
cd ~
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export PS1="[\u@\h] \W [\!] "
alias ls='ls --color'
alias less='less -m'

function rm()
{
  while test $# -gt 0 ; do
    mv ${1} /.deleted
    shift
  done
}

cygnus.bat:
-----------
@ECHO OFF
SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
SET
PATH=%CYGWIN_HOME_DRIVE%\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin;%PATH%
SET TERM=linux
SET HOME=%CYGWIN_HOME_DRIVE%
bash

END

* ANN: das blinkenlights 0.0.1 cygwin distro
@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` varun sharma
From: varun sharma @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

* Re: ANN: das blinkenlights 0.0.1 cygwin distro
@ 1999-12-31 13:28       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc van Woerkom; +Cc: cygwin

On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 07:30:02PM +0100, Marc van Woerkom wrote:
>Originally I had a bit of time left and just wanted to check the source tree
>if a certain patch that I have in mind for some time now had been realized
>by someone else in the meantime.
>
>Turned out that this is not as easy as I thought.

How is downloading the winsup/newlib sources difficult?

>> There are few reasons why this hasn't happened so far:
>> 1) We're lacking resources for this,
>
>Can't believe that one.
>
>Are you telling me you handle this project without some sort of
>configuration management on your disks? Just patch sets?

We're talking about external repositories, aren't we?  Of course we have
an internal repository.

cgf

* Re: ANN: das blinkenlights 0.0.1 cygwin distro
@ 1999-12-31 13:28             ` Marc van Woerkom
From: Marc van Woerkom @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf; +Cc: cygwin

> You realize that you are not talking about cygwin, right?  The objdump
> sources are not maintained by the cygwin group but they are a part of
> the binutils package which is available via sourceware and, guess what,
> there is web-based CVS access for them.

It was not clear to me (until your insightful explanation) how much binutils
was behind/ahead relatively to the Cygwin platform.

Regards,
Marc

* Re: ANN: das blinkenlights 0.0.1 cygwin distro
@ 1999-12-31 13:28 ` varun sharma
From: varun sharma @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: van.woerkom; +Cc: cygwin, dj, tolj

Hello Marc,

I can but ask the people over at cygnus (hi, dj!)
for cvs access to place the source into.

This would be pretty handy for me as well. At
present I have to track down relevant ports.
It would automate a lot of my grunt work.

Eventually, I'm looking at having a distribution
w/ 1. A base system (something like 0.0.1)
   2. Optional ports (emacs, x, et alia - not
      just as kept separately at ftp.franken.de,
      but combined, tested, and available as
      binary + source (but ofcourse))

I hope this is not at odds with the Cygwin CD 1.0
and the `net-release' dj & chris are planning.

Regards,
- varun

PS: Stipe also mentioned doing a distro once.

--- Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>

From: Marc van Woerkom @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf; +Cc: cygwin

> >Turned out that this is not as easy as I thought.
>
> How is downloading the winsup/newlib sources difficult?

The difficulity is getting sure that one has a rather recent
version before ones eyes.

In my case it is about one of the tools, objdump to be precise.
As far as I know, the public source archives are about a year old.
So the question is, where patches would go.
Quite likely people would mail them to the dev lists.

This leaves searching the archives, searching the site for
interim releases or asking the maintainers.

The easy way I thought of was locating the tree on the web site,
have a short look at the objdump sources and to bugger off.

Regards,
Marc

From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc van Woerkom; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 01:42:45AM +0100, Marc van Woerkom wrote:
>>>Turned out that this is not as easy as I thought.
>>
>>How is downloading the winsup/newlib sources difficult?
>
>The difficulity is getting sure that one has a rather recent version
>before ones eyes.

The most recent cygwin sources are available at the snapshots page.

>In my case it is about one of the tools, objdump to be precise.  As far
>as I know, the public source archives are about a year old.  So the
>question is, where patches would go.  Quite likely people would mail
>them to the dev lists.
>
>This leaves searching the archives, searching the site for interim
>releases or asking the maintainers.
>
>The easy way I thought of was locating the tree on the web site, have a
>short look at the objdump sources and to bugger off.

You realize that you are not talking about cygwin, right?  The objdump
sources are not maintained by the cygwin group but they are a part of
the binutils package which is available via sourceware and, guess what,
there is web-based CVS access for them.

If you are referring to the binutils package that comes with cygwin,
then, yes, that is out-of-date.  So, you should just grab the most
current version from sourceware.cygnus.com .

cgf

From: Marc van Woerkom @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: van.woerkom, cygwin

Originally I had a bit of time left and just wanted to check the source tree
if a certain patch that I have in mind for some time now had been realized
by someone else in the meantime.

Turned out that this is not as easy as I thought.

> There are few reasons why this hasn't happened so far:
> 1) We're lacking resources for this,

Can't believe that one.

Are you telling me you handle this project without some sort of
configuration management on your disks? Just patch sets?

> 2) I've seen very very very little evidence that anyone was willing
>    to contribute source to the project,

Amen, brother.

Seems typical for non super sexy projects. The free projects I work on
have teached me the lesson that there are many folks who donate opinions
and few who donate time and code.. :)

> Right now, we're in "wait and see" mode due to our Redhat merger.

We're too. :)

Regards,
Marc

From: Marc van Woerkom @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: varshar; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-12-31 13:28   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc van Woerkom; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 11:17:01PM +0100, Marc van Woerkom wrote:
>However it would be more useful for me to have a "nice" source
>distribution instead of a nice binary distribution.

Assuming that you're addressing this to "me" (i.e., Cygnus) I can offer
that we have talked about putting cygwin on the sourceware site under
CVS.

There are few reasons why this hasn't happened so far: 1) We're lacking
resources for this, 2) I've seen very very very little evidence that
anyone was willing to contribute source to the project, and 3) I don't
want to do this until we can get everything coordinate with my gcc and
gdb counterparts (the gdb part will be a easier since I manage a gdb
group).

Right now, we're in "wait and see" mode due to our Redhat merger.  I'm
hoping that when the dust clears we'll have a nicer cygwin site set which
will have convenient access to source for at least the core cygwin
distribution and for ported packages as well.

cgf

* Re: ANN: das blinkenlights 0.0.1 cygwin distro
@ 1999-12-04 17:44           ` Marc van Woerkom
From: Marc van Woerkom @ 1999-12-04 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-12-04 16:56         ` Chris Faylor