* Re: RCS 5.7 make to big *,v-Files
@ 1999-12-03 14:05 Earnie Boyd
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-12-03 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Your problem with RCS is most likely caused by DOS line endings \r\n in the
source while you have UNIX line endings \n in the *,v-Files.  Since ci thinks
all lines have been modified, it stores the whole source as the delta.

Auf Deutsch:

Ihr Problem mit RCS ist verursacht durch DOSZEILE Ende\r\n in der Quelle,
während
Sie UNIXZEILE Ende\n in haben *, v-Files wahrscheinlichstes. Da Ci denkt, sind
alle
Zeilen, es speichert die vollständige Quelle als das Dreieck geändert worden.

English converted by http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Earnie.
--- Georg Fusz <fusz@cadlab.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Since there is no RCS comming with CygWin 20.1 (full.exe) I downloaded
> the RCS-executabels from
> ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2/gnu/devtools/ .
> It is version 5.7
>
> All works fine, in the Cygwin bash-shell and in my Emacs.
>
> The problem is:
> In the *,v-Files there is NOT stored only the  the lines changing
> between the different revisions. "ci" stores complete copies of the
> files for each revision in the *,v-Files.
>
> The ci.exe comming with MinGw-Sup-1.0 has the same problem.
>
> Is there a never implementation of RCS running under CygWin or WinNT ?
>
> Greting form Berlin
> Georg Fusz
>
> --

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
Cygwin Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

* Re: RCS 5.7 make to big *,v-Files
@ 1999-12-03 16:10 ` Georg Fusz
From: Georg Fusz @ 1999-12-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for the hints!

The solution was:
The RCS package in ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2/gnu/devtools/
comes with with an enhancede version of "diff", which can compare files
in the DOS- and the UNIX-Style. The "diff" in CygWin can't do that.

After changing the sequence in my PATH enviroment variable all works
well.

I must confess, that there was a hint in the documentation of the
RCS-package, but I understood it only after reading your hints.

Thank you!

Greeting from Berlin

Georg Fusz

@ 1999-12-03 18:13 ` Michael Herstine
From: Michael Herstine @ 1999-12-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

So what can I do to resolve this?

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Your problem with RCS is most likely caused by DOS line endings \r\n in the
> source while you have UNIX line endings \n in the *,v-Files.  Since ci thinks
> all lines have been modified, it stores the whole source as the delta.
>
> Auf Deutsch:
>
> Ihr Problem mit RCS ist verursacht durch DOSZEILE Ende\r\n in der Quelle,
> während
> Sie UNIXZEILE Ende\n in haben *, v-Files wahrscheinlichstes. Da Ci denkt, sind
> alle
> Zeilen, es speichert die vollständige Quelle als das Dreieck geändert worden.
>
> English converted by http://babelfish.altavista.com/
>
> Earnie.
> --- Georg Fusz <fusz@cadlab.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > Since there is no RCS comming with CygWin 20.1 (full.exe) I downloaded
> > the RCS-executabels from
> > ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2/gnu/devtools/ .
> > It is version 5.7
> >
> > All works fine, in the Cygwin bash-shell and in my Emacs.
> >
> > The problem is:
> > In the *,v-Files there is NOT stored only the  the lines changing
> > between the different revisions. "ci" stores complete copies of the
> > files for each revision in the *,v-Files.
> >
> > The ci.exe comming with MinGw-Sup-1.0 has the same problem.
> >
> > Is there a never implementation of RCS running under CygWin or WinNT ?
> >
> > Greting form Berlin
> > Georg Fusz
> >
> > --
> >

> =====
> Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
> Cygwin Newbies, please visit
> < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

* RE: RCS 5.7 make to big *,v-Files
@ 1999-12-04 14:03   ` Josh Baudhuin
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Josh Baudhuin @ 1999-12-04 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

A further note: You can also build the RCS 5.7 sources as a native Win32 app
with what's in the package (there's an extra pre-config'd makefile that
supports various DOS/Win32 compilers). This build handles the CRLF stuff
without any hassle (converts \n to \r\n on checkout and back to \n on
checkin). It also has allows a pseudo soft-link RCS directory (create a file
called RCS which contains the pathname of the appropriate RCS directory
where the archive files are really stored). I don't know how well these
Win32 versions would work w/ the stdio of cygwin (shell, etc.), though...

@ 1999-12-04 14:33     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-12-04 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 02:01:19PM -0800, Josh Baudhuin wrote:

>A further note: You can also build the RCS 5.7 sources as a native Win32 app
>with what's in the package (there's an extra pre-config'd makefile that
>supports various DOS/Win32 compilers). This build handles the CRLF stuff
>without any hassle (converts \n to \r\n on checkout and back to \n on
>checkin). It also has allows a pseudo soft-link RCS directory (create a file
>called RCS which contains the pathname of the appropriate RCS directory
>where the archive files are really stored). I don't know how well these
>Win32 versions would work w/ the stdio of cygwin (shell, etc.), though...

It's likely that this will not work well with cygwin since it will not
incorporate cygwin's path handling.

cgf

* Re: RCS 5.7 make to big *,v-Files, solution
@ 1999-12-06 10:51     ` Georg Fusz
From: Georg Fusz @ 1999-12-06 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Josh, Michael and all the others !

The package available from ftp.leo. ... has binaries for a lot of
platforms and at least the WIN32 version works very well.

I am not a cygwin user, I use MinGw to compile and an Emacs running
under WinNt.

The only trick is:
==================
Set your path in a way that the >>diff.exe<<, which comes with RCS,  is
in front of the diff.exe in MinGW and in CygWin.
Or copy all files in RCS packages in gcc-2.95.2/bin; that overwrites the
>>diff.exe<< original in that directory.

Maybe, Mumit should considre to put this diff.exe in his wonderfull
MinGw.

I am not very sure, but I think I have used >>ci<< and >>co<< from the
bash shell from CygWin.

Josh Baudhuin wrote:

> A further note: You can also build the RCS 5.7 sources as a native Win32 app
> with what's in the package (there's an extra pre-config'd makefile that
> supports various DOS/Win32 compilers). This build handles the CRLF stuff
> without any hassle (converts \n to \r\n on checkout and back to \n on
> checkin). It also has allows a pseudo soft-link RCS directory (create a file
> called RCS which contains the pathname of the appropriate RCS directory
> where the archive files are really stored). I don't know how well these
> Win32 versions would work w/ the stdio of cygwin (shell, etc.), though...

--
Georg Fusz

home-page: http://cadence.fb12.tu-berlin.de/~fusz/

Fon:
Universitaet: +49 30 314 26 884
privat:     : +49 30 815 30 32
Handy:      : +49 173 20 10 696

* Re: RCS 5.7 make to big *,v-Files, solution
@ 1999-12-06 13:49       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-12-06 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 07:50:52PM +0100, Georg Fusz wrote:
>Hello Josh, Michael and all the others !
>
>The package available from ftp.leo. ... has binaries for a lot of
>platforms and at least the WIN32 version works very well.

Again, I must point out that it is unlikely that a native windows port
will work well with cygwin's path handling.

cgf

* Re: RCS 5.7 make to big *,v-Files
@ 1999-12-31 13:28 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

=====

@ 1999-12-31 13:28   ` Georg Fusz
From: Georg Fusz @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-12-31 13:28         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-12-31 13:28     ` Josh Baudhuin

@ 1999-12-31 13:28   ` Michael Herstine
From: Michael Herstine @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-12-31 13:28       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-12-31 13:28       ` Georg Fusz
From: Georg Fusz @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Baudhuin wrote:

> A further note: You can also build the RCS 5.7 sources as a native Win32 app
> with what's in the package (there's an extra pre-config'd makefile that
> supports various DOS/Win32 compilers). This build handles the CRLF stuff
> without any hassle (converts \n to \r\n on checkout and back to \n on
> checkin). It also has allows a pseudo soft-link RCS directory (create a file
> called RCS which contains the pathname of the appropriate RCS directory
> where the archive files are really stored). I don't know how well these
> Win32 versions would work w/ the stdio of cygwin (shell, etc.), though...

--
Georg Fusz

home-page: http://cadence.fb12.tu-berlin.de/~fusz/

Fon: