* two versions
@ 2003-09-03 19:10 Eduardo Osorio Armenta
From: Eduardo Osorio Armenta @ 2003-09-03 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

i want to test cygwin 1.5.X

but not break my set cygwin 1.3.22

so i wonder if installing cygwin 1.5.X in
another path e.g. c:\cygwin_1.5

and configuring all the PATH to my shell (cygwin.bat)
to only include c:\cygwin_1.5\bin (and all related)
would not interfere with my cygwin 1.3.22

it's that posible?

or the registry stuff will prevent this!

thankyou for your advise

* Re: two versions
@ 2003-09-03 19:23 ` Rolf Campbell
From: Rolf Campbell @ 2003-09-03 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eduardo Osorio Armenta wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i want to test cygwin 1.5.X
>
> but not break my set cygwin 1.3.22
>
> so i wonder if installing cygwin 1.5.X in
> another path e.g. c:\cygwin_1.5
>
> and configuring all the PATH to my shell (cygwin.bat)
> to only include c:\cygwin_1.5\bin (and all related)
> would not interfere with my cygwin 1.3.22
>
> it's that posible?
Not really.

> or the registry stuff will prevent this!
Bingo.

You can do it if you switch mount tables/paths when you switch between
versions.

* Re: two versions
@ 2003-09-03 19:35 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-03 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:10:03PM -0700, Eduardo Osorio Armenta wrote:
>i want to test cygwin 1.5.X

Why would you want to "test" 1.5.x?  Just load it.  It will undoubtedly
work.  If it doesn't work, we will fix it.

The time to test this was during the two months it was available as a
test release.  Then you could have just loaded 1.5.[012] and dropped
back if you found problems.

cgf

@ 2003-09-06 18:37   ` Peter Rehley
From: Peter Rehley @ 2003-09-06 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 12:22  PM, Rolf Campbell wrote:

> Eduardo Osorio Armenta wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> i want to test cygwin 1.5.X
>> but not break my set cygwin 1.3.22
>> so i wonder if installing cygwin 1.5.X in
>> another path e.g. c:\cygwin_1.5
>> and configuring all the PATH to my shell (cygwin.bat)
>> to only include c:\cygwin_1.5\bin (and all related)
>> would not interfere with my cygwin 1.3.22
>> it's that posible?
> Not really.
>
>> or the registry stuff will prevent this!
> Bingo.
>
> You can do it if you switch mount tables/paths when you switch between
> versions.

One thing that you can do ( I do this at work because I'm working with
multiple versions of cygwin for a project we are working) is to rename
your 1.3.22 to something like cygwin_1_3_22 and then install the latest
version.  You may want to back up your registry settings just in case
the installer changes them, but I don't think that it does.

Once you have everything installed, just rename the directory for the
version you want to use and launch your programs.  You will need to
make sure that no cygwin application is running before you switch or
windows will complain about renaming the directory.  I don't have the
change the registry because that will always be pointing to the cygwin
that I want to use.

It won't let you run multiple version of cygwin at the same time, but I
don't think you are trying to do that.

Peter
========
Infinity Softworks.  Making scientific, financial and realtor
calculators for Palm Pilots and other PDAs since 1997

Visit them today at http://www.infinitysw.com