From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: git 2.8.3 spurious output
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 13:45:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 6/8/2016 5:35 AM, Cufi, Carles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When running git 2.8.3 with certain of its commands (submodule for example) I get spurious output on the terminal:
>
> cacu ~/src/nordic/gh/pc-ble-driver-py (master)
> $ git submodule deinit .
> ': not a valid identifiertext.sh: line 88: export: `displaypath
> Cleared directory ''
> ': not a valid identifiertext.sh: line 88: export: `name
> ': not a valid identifiertext.sh: line 88: export: `url
> ': not a valid identifiertext.sh: line 88: export: `displaypath
> Submodule '' () unregistered for path ''
>
> The variables referenced above (displaypath, name, url) seem to be part of the git-submodule script in /usr/libexec/git-core.

It looks like output lines are being overwritten, which suggests that
you have DOS line endings somewhere (maybe in git-submodule?).  For
example, there seems to be a reference to line 88 of gettext.sh,
partially overwritten by something else.  (Notice that git-submodule
calls eval_gettext many times; the latter is defined in
/usr/bin/gettext.sh.)

Ken