On 12/22/2016 02:14 PM, Eric Blake wrote: >> ssize_t.c:115:22: error: expected expression before ‘)’ token >> if (sizeof ((ssize_t))) >> ^ > That's probably SUPPOSED to happen. > > Autoconf tests for type names by comparing: In fact, read the autoconf source code: http://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/tree/lib/autoconf/types.m4#n56 # _AC_CHECK_TYPE_NEW_BODY # ----------------------- # Shell function body for _AC_CHECK_TYPE_NEW. This macro implements the # former task of AC_CHECK_TYPE, with one big difference though: AC_CHECK_TYPE # used to grep in the headers, which, BTW, led to many problems until the # extended regular expression was correct and did not give false positives. # It turned out there are even portability issues with egrep... # # The most obvious way to check for a TYPE is just to compile a variable # definition: # # TYPE my_var; # # (TYPE being the second parameter to the shell function, hence $[]2 in m4). # Unfortunately this does not work for const qualified types in C++, where # you need an initializer. So you think of # # TYPE my_var = (TYPE) 0; # # Unfortunately, again, this is not valid for some C++ classes. # # Then you look for another scheme. For instance you think of declaring # a function which uses a parameter of type TYPE: # # int foo (TYPE param); # # but of course you soon realize this does not make it with K&R # compilers. And by no means do you want to use this: # # int foo (param) # TYPE param # { ; } # # since C++ would complain loudly. # # Don't even think of using a function return type, since K&R cries # there too. So you start thinking of declaring a *pointer* to this TYPE: # # TYPE *p; # # but you know fairly well that this is legal in C for aggregates which # are unknown (TYPE = struct does-not-exist). # # Then you think of using sizeof to make sure the TYPE is really # defined: # # sizeof (TYPE); # # That is great, but has one drawback: it succeeds when TYPE happens # to be a variable: you'd get the size of the variable's type. # Obviously, we must not accept a variable in place of a type name. # # So, to filter out the last possibility, we will require that this fail: # # sizeof ((TYPE)); # # This evokes a syntax error when TYPE is a type, but succeeds if TYPE # is actually a variable. # # Also note that we use # # if (sizeof (TYPE)) # # to `read' sizeof (to avoid warnings), while not depending on its type # (not necessarily size_t etc.). # # C++ disallows defining types inside `sizeof ()', but that's OK, # since we don't want to consider unnamed structs to be types for C++, # precisely because they don't work in cases like that. -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org