* Re: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-29  7:32 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-07-29  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, gnu-win32

At 01:03 AM 7/27/97 GMT, Chris Faylor wrote:
>In article < 2.2.32.19970726194505.0096be68@ma.ultranet.com >,
>Larry Hall  <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:
>>>..with Sergey's last coolview it isn't necessary to change
>>>anything. Scrolling even in console windows with scrollbars works
>>>perfectly !!!
>>
>>I'm confused by your statement that vim works fine with Sergey's latest
>>coolview and consoles with scrollbars.  I'm currently running this DLL
>>(circa 7/24/97) with vim on NT 4.0 + SP3 and I still have the scroll down
>>problem on consoles with scrollbars.  I have removed cs and the "7"s from
>>my linux termcap description however (I did this even before getting
>>Sergey's DLL).  Do you have any suggestions on how I can coax vim to
>>behave as you describe?  Did you need to recompile vim?  Since I'm
>>anxious to get this "next to last" problem with vim cleared up on my
>>system, I'd appreciate any suggestions you or others might have.
>
>I put cs= back in the linux termcap definition and vim works fine with
>scrollbars now.  Probably that's all you need to do.  No recompilation
>needed.
>--
> http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
>VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."

You are quite correct!  This works great now!  Thanks for your help.

Larry

-

* Re: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-26 18:03 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-07-26 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-07-26 12:48 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-07-26 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke, gnu-win32

At 12:41 PM 7/26/97 +0200, Michael Hirmke wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>[...]
>> >I don't use vim's termcap, but Cygnus' one - it also contained these
>> >entries. After removing them, vim worked perfectly !!
>>
>> ???  I was referring to Cygnus's termcap.  I'm not sure what else you
>> supposed that I was referring to.
>
>The source package of vim also brings a termcap with it !
>I thought you were referring to that one. I don't know, whether they are
>identical.
>
>[...]
>> ???  The statement is correct.  If you are using a version of vim that
>> was compiled to use termcap instead of ncurses, you need to remove the
>> cs= from the linux entry in the termcap distributed by Cygnus.  On my
>> system this is in c:/etc.
>
>Yes, you are right, but that wasn't, what I meant :)
>Anyway, with Sergey's last coolview it isn't necessary to change
>anything. Scrolling even in console windows with scrollbars works
>perfectly !!!
>
>Again: Thanks to Sergey.
>
>Bye.
>Michael.

Hi Michael,

I'm confused by your statement that vim works fine with Sergey's latest
coolview and consoles with scrollbars.  I'm currently running this DLL
(circa 7/24/97) with vim on NT 4.0 + SP3 and I still have the scroll down
problem on consoles with scrollbars.  I have removed cs and the "7"s from
my linux termcap description however (I did this even before getting
Sergey's DLL).  Do you have any suggestions on how I can coax vim to
behave as you describe?  Did you need to recompile vim?  Since I'm
anxious to get this "next to last" problem with vim cleared up on my
system, I'd appreciate any suggestions you or others might have.

TIA,

Larry

-

* Re: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-26 11:53             ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-07-26 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 6ab9BOqppfB@mike.franken.de >,
Michael Hirmke <mh@mike.franken.de> wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>[...]
>> >I don't use vim's termcap, but Cygnus' one - it also contained these
>> >entries. After removing them, vim worked perfectly !!
>>
>> ???  I was referring to Cygnus's termcap.  I'm not sure what else you
>> supposed that I was referring to.
>
>The source package of vim also brings a termcap with it !
>I thought you were referring to that one. I don't know, whether they are
>identical.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but no, they are not identical.  In fact,
the termcap file that comes with vim does not contain a 'linux' entry
at all.  That would make it very hard to modify the 'cs=' field in the
linux entry in the termcap file.

That coupled with the fact that the comment indicates that the termcap
file is intended for am Amiga might lead one to believe that the termcap
file which is distributed with vim is not the one to which I was
referring.

>Yes, you are right, but that wasn't, what I meant :) Anyway, with
>Sergey's last coolview it isn't necessary to change anything.
>Scrolling even in console windows with scrollbars works perfectly !!!

No argument there.  I'm a big fan of Sergey's work.  In fact, I just made
a few modifications to his latest source to get a gnuwin32 version
of zsh working.  So, now I have exactly the same environment on 12 UNIX
platforms and 1 NT box.  I'm pretty happy with that.
--

@ 1997-07-26  4:42           ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-07-26  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Chris,

[...]
> >I don't use vim's termcap, but Cygnus' one - it also contained these
> >entries. After removing them, vim worked perfectly !!
>
> ???  I was referring to Cygnus's termcap.  I'm not sure what else you
> supposed that I was referring to.

The source package of vim also brings a termcap with it !
I thought you were referring to that one. I don't know, whether they are
identical.

[...]
> ???  The statement is correct.  If you are using a version of vim that
> was compiled to use termcap instead of ncurses, you need to remove the
> cs= from the linux entry in the termcap distributed by Cygnus.  On my
> system this is in c:/etc.

Yes, you are right, but that wasn't, what I meant :)
Anyway, with Sergey's last coolview it isn't necessary to change
anything. Scrolling even in console windows with scrollbars works
perfectly !!!

Again: Thanks to Sergey.

Bye.
Michael.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-

* RE: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-23 11:32 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-07-23 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'cgf@bbc.com'

Chris Faylor wrote:
> ???  The statement is correct.  If you are using a version of vim that
> was compiled to use termcap instead of ncurses, you need to remove the
> cs= from the linux entry in the termcap distributed by Cygnus.  On my

You do not need to do it :-) I've already fixed the bug with "cs" termcap
capability, the patch will be available in a few days (the "cs" is not the
only thing fixed).

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-23  7:10         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-07-23  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 6aLo2v9$pfB@mike.franken.de >,

@ 1997-07-22 20:45 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-07-22 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke, gnu-win32

At 07:01 PM 7/22/97 +0200, Michael Hirmke wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>[...]
>> You only quoted the part of my message that wondered if Sergey's new
>> cygwin.dll would fix the problem.  Did you try the other things I
>> suggested????
>
>>> 1)  You have to set your TERM environment variable to "linux".
>
>I've alway set my TERM variable to linux.
>

>>> 2)  I have removed the following entries from the linux setting in
>>>     /etc/termcap:
>>>
>>>            &7, @7, and cs
>
>I don't use vim's termcap, but Cygnus' one - it also contained these
>entries. After removing them, vim worked perfectly !!
>
>> Vim is working for me here with no problems.  I think the only thing you
>> need to do is remove 'cs=' from the termcap setting for 'linux'.  This
>> is, of course, only if you are using a termcap version of vim.
>
>Not only as mentioned above !
>
>Thx a lot.
>Michael.

Are you claiming that these changes with Sergey's DLL fixes the vim scroll
down problem when a cmd.exe scrollbar exists too?  If so, I just tried it
and it doesn't work for me.  As for having a working vim (5.0k beta), I've
had that for a while with just eliminating cs.  I'm working with NT 4.0 +
SP3.

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (617) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (617) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181

-

* Re: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-22 10:56       ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-07-22 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Chris,

[...]

@ 1997-07-21 21:08     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-07-21 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 6aHiCPF$pfB@mike.franken.de >,

@ 1997-07-21 17:16     ` Ian
From: Ian @ 1997-07-21 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

At 07:27 PM 7/21/97 +0200, Michael Hirmke shaped the electrons thusly:
[snip]
>I use Sergey's newest .dll and have still scrolling problems with vim
>5.0k.
>They only occur, if I use the down cursor key and reach the lower end of
>the screen - the text doesn't scroll then any more, but each new line
>shows up on the last line of the screen. If I set lines=<real lines> + 1,
>scrolling works ok, but then I have problems with the : commands.
>This cursor down behaviour is the only scrolling bug - cursor up, page
>down and up, ... all work ok.
>Therefore I think, it must be a small bug in vim or ncurses.

I have this problem as well, but it is more likely to be a bug in
the windows console -- the problem doesn't occur when I use vim
in an rxvt.

>--
>Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999

--
Ian Reinhart
ian@parti.inforum.org

* Re: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-21 10:45   ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-07-21 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Chris,

[...]

@ 1997-07-20 20:26 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-07-20 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 2.2.32.19970718183444.0096f8a4@ma.ultranet.com >,
Larry Hall  <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:
>Michael,
>
>I'm running a self-compiled version of vim (vim 5.0k beta) but I was able to
>get it running with Chris's help.  I've noticed with my version that
>scrolling within vim is incorrect if I start it in a cmd.exe window with a
>scroll bar.  Scrolling is fine if the window does not contain a scroll bar
>prior to vim startup.  I haven't had a chance to look into this bug yet
>myself.  I have not noticed vim hanging in any situation, although it
>sometimes takes me more than 1 tap of the enter key to get the thing started
>or exited.  I'm running NT 4.0 + SP3.

I've noticed the same thing.  It is annoying because I *want* that scroll bar.

I have noticed two other things when using vim:

1)  You *have* to set your TERM environment variable to "linux".

2)  I have removed the following entries from the linux setting in
    /etc/termcap:

	&7, @7, and cs

    Probably only cs was necessary.

@ 1997-07-19  8:22     ` Gilligan
From: Gilligan @ 1997-07-19  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke, GNU Win 32

Michael Hirmke wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> [...]
> > This page also has gnuwin32 binaries of less and vim.
>
> The vi binary I got from your page does not work correctly on my
> Windows
> NT 4 system.
> When called from a bash prompt, it starts up correctly, but scrolling
> wih the cursor down key is messed up, when I reach the last line of
> the
> screen. If I set lines=26 instead of 25 this works ok, but then I get
> problem with the : commands.
> If I start that vi from a native Windows NT application it hangs
> completely 8-/
>
> Are there any suggestions what to do against this problem ?

I suspect it's some sort of problem with the term settings.  A
workaround is to pick up sergey's latest .dll package with rxvt.
Running it (and other programs with similar display problems) has worked
perfectly for me.

--
Due to the abundance of spamming, action has been taken.  Please remove
the underscore (_) from my address when replying to me.  Spammers,

* Re: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-18 11:38 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-07-18 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke, gnu-win32

Michael,

I'm running a self-compiled version of vim (vim 5.0k beta) but I was able to
get it running with Chris's help.  I've noticed with my version that
scrolling within vim is incorrect if I start it in a cmd.exe window with a
scroll bar.  Scrolling is fine if the window does not contain a scroll bar
prior to vim startup.  I haven't had a chance to look into this bug yet
myself.  I have not noticed vim hanging in any situation, although it
sometimes takes me more than 1 tap of the enter key to get the thing started
or exited.  I'm running NT 4.0 + SP3.

Hope this helps,

Larry

At 05:34 PM 7/18/97 +0200, Michael Hirmke wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>[...]
>> This page also has gnuwin32 binaries of less and vim.
>
>The vi binary I got from your page does not work correctly on my Windows
>NT 4 system.
>When called from a bash prompt, it starts up correctly, but scrolling
>wih the cursor down key is messed up, when I reach the last line of the
>screen. If I set lines=26 instead of 25 this works ok, but then I get a
>problem with the : commands.
>If I start that vi from a native Windows NT application it hangs
>completely 8-/
>
>Are there any suggestions what to do against this problem ?
>
>Thx.
>Bye.
>Michael.
>--
>Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
>Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
>90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mh@mike.franken.de
>                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
>-

-

* Re: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-18  8:35   ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-07-18  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Chris,

[...]

@ 1997-07-17 15:17   ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-07-17 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Allan,

> Where did you get the sources?  Activeware?  CPAN?   Actually, the
> binaries would suffice as well.

You can find the binaries of the Activeware port of perl 5.003 and the
binaries of the official port (5.004) on CPAN/ports/...; if you want to
compile the official port yourself, you can use the official source code
release, which can now be built on NT with MS VC++ or Borland C++.
You can also use Cygnus' gcc, but that one will fail to build the win32
modules.

> Thanks
[...]

Bye.
Michael.
--

@ 1997-07-17 12:33 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-07-17 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

At 11:35 AM 7/16/97 +0200, Max Muzi wrote:
>Has anyone managed to compile Perl5.004 under GNU-Win32 b18 ?

I have patches for perl5.004_01 on my web page:

		http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf

With these patches, perl passes 90+% of its test suite.  When you install
the patch make sure that it is to a completely clean source tree.  The
patches will not work if you install them over a previous build attempt.

These patches have been submitted to the maintainers of perl.  Hopefully,
they will show up in perl5.004_02.

@ 1997-07-17  8:27 Bryan T. Schmersal
From: Bryan T. Schmersal @ 1997-07-17  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan Peda, Bryan T. Schmersal; +Cc: Max Muzi, GNU-Win32

At 05:08 AM 7/17/97 -0400, Allan Peda wrote:
>Where did you get the sources?  Activeware?  CPAN?   Actually, the
>binaries would suffice as well.

I got the sources from http://www.perl.org

Bryan T. Schmersal                 Transarc Corporation
Senior Member of Technical Staff       707 Grant Street
bryans@transarc.com               Pittsburgh, PA  15219
http://www.transarc.com/~bryans           (412)338-4351

* Re: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-17  2:13 ` Allan Peda
From: Allan Peda @ 1997-07-17  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan T. Schmersal; +Cc: Max Muzi, GNU-Win32

Bryan T. Schmersal wrote:

> At 11:35 AM 7/16/97 +0200, Max Muzi wrote:
> >Has anyone managed to compile Perl5.004 under GNU-Win32 b18 ?
>
> I managed to get it installed without major problems.  Did you follow
> the hints in the README.cygwin32 file.  You may also want to look at
> the cygwin32 file under hints to make sure that the paths are correct
> for library and header files.  This may solve your build problem.
>
> I had to alter the installperl script in order for things to work.
> Also, when perl was installed via the install program that came
> with GNU-Win32 b18, all I could get out of perl was a "This program
> cannot be run in MSDOS mode" error.  I copied the executable straight
> from the build directory and it works fine...

-

* Re: Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-16 16:26 Bryan T. Schmersal
From: Bryan T. Schmersal @ 1997-07-16 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Muzi, GNU-Win32

At 11:35 AM 7/16/97 +0200, Max Muzi wrote:
>Has anyone managed to compile Perl5.004 under GNU-Win32 b18 ?

I managed to get it installed without major problems.  Did you follow
the hints in the README.cygwin32 file.  You may also want to look at
the cygwin32 file under hints to make sure that the paths are correct
for library and header files.  This may solve your build problem.

I had to alter the installperl script in order for things to work.
Also, when perl was installed via the install program that came
with GNU-Win32 b18, all I could get out of perl was a "This program
cannot be run in MSDOS mode" error.  I copied the executable straight
from the build directory and it works fine...

Bryan T. Schmersal                 Transarc Corporation
Senior Member of Technical Staff       707 Grant Street
bryans@transarc.com               Pittsburgh, PA  15219
http://www.transarc.com/~bryans           (412)338-4351

* Perl & GNU-Win32
@ 1997-07-16  2:34 Max Muzi
From: Max Muzi @ 1997-07-16  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU-Win32

Hi.

Has anyone managed to compile Perl5.004 under GNU-Win32 b18 ?

I tried, but I encountered some major problems, whose solution is beyond
my current very limited experience.

I did everything the README.gnuwin32 file tells one should do.
Initially, the configure script did non even pass the gcc functionality
test.
So I moved cpp into the path and added some enviroment variables (namely:
LIBRARY_PATH, C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH, OBJC_INCLUDE_PATH,
OBJCPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH).

Now the configure program seems to successfully complete its job.

But when makedepend is launched, I get a long sequence of error messages,
all like the following one:

Finding dependencies for malloc.o.
In file included from
/gnuwin32/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/syslimits.h:7,
 from /gnuwin32/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/limits.h:11,
 from /gnuwin32/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/sys/param.h:38,
                 from perl.h:223,
                 from malloc.c:6:
c:\gnuwin32\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\include/limits.h:116:
No include path in which to find limits.h

<<<<<<<

All *_INCLUDE_PATH variables point to a directory containing limits.h.
And, in fact, limits.h *is* read, as the message itself seems to testify.
If those variables are not set, different errors occur, which appear more
severe:

In file included from malloc.c:6:
perl.h:163: No include path in which to find sys/types.h
perl.h:174: No include path in which to find stdarg.h

<<<<

Could any one help me out ?

I am using use Windows 95 with GNU-Win32 b18.
Perl version is 5.004_01.

TIA,

Max

-