* Re: 'less' command messages.
@ 1997-07-29  7:02 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-07-29  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Panos Platon Tsapralis, 'Cygnus GNU Programming Environment'

At 11:11 PM 7/28/97 +-300, Panos Platon Tsapralis wrote:
>	Dear friends,
>
>	when I use the 'less' command, I see a message on-screen, that says :
>
>	WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
>
>	and it then proceeds O.K. Also, when it comes to an end, exiting to the
command line, it does not erase the bottom line of the screen to its right
end, allthough it should, but simply overwrites it with the command line
prompt, starting, of course, at the left side of the screen. So, what am I
missing ?

You're probably using a non-cygwin32 compiled version.  I get the same thing
with my native win32 version.  Try compiling less or grab some binary
version from somewhere.

Larry

-

* 'less' command messages.
@ 1997-07-30 13:12 Panos Platon Tsapralis
From: Panos Platon Tsapralis @ 1997-07-30 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Wei Ku ( GNU_Win32 )'
  Cc: 'Cygnus GNU Programming Environment'

	Dear Mr. Ku,

	you were absolutely right when suggesting to put the command 'export TERM=linux' in the /etc/profile ( or /.bashrc ) file. What I have found, though, is that this alone still does not solve the problem. What I have additionally done is that I created a directory '/etc' and, in that directory, a hard link to the file '/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/etc/termcap'. This solved the problem. Unfortunately, after the TERM variable took the value 'linux', the VIM editor has stopped working properly - it apparently needs TERM to be set to 'ansi'.

	Thank you very much for your advice.

| Panos Platon Tsapralis,Software Engineer,    |
| M.I.S.Applications Manager - TeleStet,       |
| E-mail Address   = pan@hol.gr,               |
| Home Address     = 3 Aishylou Str., 15234,   |
|                    Halandri, Athens,         |
|                    Attica, GREECE,           |
| Home Phone No.   = (00301)68.58.298,         |
| Bysiness Address = 60 Kifissias Ave., 15125, |
|                    Amaroussion, Athens,      |
|                    Attica, GREECE,           |
| Office Phone No. = (00301)61.86.013,         |
| Mobile Phone No. = (003093)23.90.13.         |

* Re: 'less' command messages.
@ 1997-07-29  2:26   ` Ian
From: Ian @ 1997-07-29  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

At 03:18 AM 7/29/97 +0100, Pete Jordan shaped the electrons thusly:
>Panos Platon Tsapralis <pan@hol.gr> complained:
>> 	when I use the 'less' command, I see a message on-screen, that
>> says :
>>
>> 	WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
>>
>> 	and it then proceeds O.K. Also, when it comes to an end, exiting
>> to the command line, it does not erase the bottom line of the screen to
>> its right end, allthough it should, but simply overwrites it with the
>> command line prompt, starting, of course, at the left side of the
>> screen. So, what am I missing ?
>
>Try:
>
>1. setting TERM=linux
>2. Installing Sergey's patches.

3. adding a terminfo entry for xterm-color (if you're having this
   problem in an rxvt)

--
Ian Reinhart
ian@parti.inforum.org

* Re: 'less' command messages.
@ 1997-07-28 19:19 ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-07-28 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1997-07-28 17:47 Wei Ku
From: Wei Ku @ 1997-07-28 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Panos Platon Tsapralis, 'Cygnus GNU Programming Environment'

 Did you set the environment variable in the .bashrc ( or .bash-profile ) as
following ?
export TERM=linux

Sincerely,
Wei Ku