* Re: [ANN] mingw32-egcs native dev toolchain
@ 1997-11-11  9:09 Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc) @ 1997-11-11  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kees van Veen, Gunther Ebert; +Cc: gnu-win32

At 11:46 AM 11/11/97 +0100, Kees van Veen wrote:
>I'm not using mingw32, but b18 with Sergey's patches.
>
>I have another question though.
>
>A while ago I posted a message about getenv() not returning the values
>of
>my environment variables when called from a relocatable dll.
>
>I found out that if I call _getenv() instead of getenv() that problem
>does not
>occur. The same goes for execv(), execvp() and system(), to name a few.
>It seems only the underscore functions export the environment.
>
>Can anybody explain why this is?
>
>I now use '#define getenv _getenv' etc to get around this, but is there
>a way
>to force the compiler/linker to do this for me?
>
>Regards,
>Kees van Veen (cvn@interchain.nl)

I won't state this definitively but I suspect you are calling the Win32
function directly by using _getenv() as opposed to using the b18 wrapper.
I don't know why the cygwin32 implementation of this function doesn't work
right.  MS commonly puts an underscore in front of these function names, I
believe to differentiate the MBCS versions of these function from the
UNICODE (underscore functions being MBCS).  They then define the original
function name to the MBCS or UNICODE function appropriately.

I think what you're doing will work although you might miss the cygwin32
"flavoring" of the environment if what I think your getting with this holds
true.

Larry Hall                      lhall@rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.              (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                  (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA, 02181

-

[parent not found: <9711071743.AA18316@modi.xraylith.wisc.edu>]
* [ANN] mingw32-egcs native dev toolchain
@ 1997-11-07  0:16 Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1997-11-07  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Latest snapshot uploaded to my egcs-related ftp area:

   ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/egcs/mingw32

Play with it and see if it works for you. I'll have the source patches
next week.

Mumit
-