* STOP the RFC! Web poll for a.out vs a.exe vs foo.exe question
@ 2000-01-13 15:22 Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2000-01-13 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mingw32

Had no idea that that one question would flood the mailing list like this!
I also had no idea people cared ;-)

DJ has set up a web poll, so do express your opinion.

  http://www.delorie.com/cygwin/

Regards,
Mumit

* RE: STOP the RFC! Web poll for a.out vs a.exe vs foo.exe question
@ 2000-01-13 16:04 ` Ajit George
From: Ajit George @ 2000-01-13 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mingw32 discussion list@eGroups, cygwin

In the poll, does 'file.exe' literally mean 'file.exe', or does it mean, for
example, 'prog.exe' when running 'gcc prog.c'?

There's a standard unix command 'file', which would clash with the former.

Ajit

@ 2000-01-13 16:11   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-01-13 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gajit; +Cc: mingw32, cygwin

> In the poll, does 'file.exe' literally mean 'file.exe', or does it mean, for
> example, 'prog.exe' when running 'gcc prog.c'?

Of course it means the latter.  There wouldn't be any point in the
former.

* Re: STOP the RFC! Web poll for a.out vs a.exe vs foo.exe question
@ 2000-01-13 18:16   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-01-13 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajit George; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 06:04:01PM -0600, Ajit George wrote:
>In the poll, does 'file.exe' literally mean 'file.exe', or does it mean, for
>example, 'prog.exe' when running 'gcc prog.c'?

We're contemplating just having gcc output one specific file since it
will be much less confusing to the users who accidentally type -o
soemthing and find that their something.exe file has been completely
overwritten!

So the relevant makefile rule will now be:

myprog.exe:
	gcc foo.o bar.o; mv file.exe myprog.exe

Hmm.  No.  That can't be right because then every file would be named
myprog.exe.

I guess we'll have to work on this concept some more.

cgf

* Re: STOP the RFC! Web poll for a.out vs a.exe vs foo.exe question
@ 2000-01-13 16:10 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-01-13 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: mingw32, cygwin

> 1) there is no place to comment.

Yes there is.  Send comments to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com (or other
relevent mailing lists).

> 2) Without our comments the poll would not have been setup the way
>    that it is.

Without your comments, there wouldn't be a poll at all.

> 3) it can be adjusted to suit _my_ tastes.

I don't understand this point.

* Re: STOP the RFC! Web poll for a.out vs a.exe vs foo.exe question
@ 2000-01-13 15:48 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-01-13 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Mingw32

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 03:37:20PM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Mumit Khan <khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU> wrote:
>> Had no idea that that one question would flood the mailing list like this!
>> I also had no idea people cared ;-)
>>
>> DJ has set up a web poll, so do express your opinion.
>>
>>   http://www.delorie.com/cygwin/
>>

>The problem with the poll:
>
>1) there is no place to comment.
>2) Without our comments the poll would not have been setup the way that it is.
>3) it can be adjusted to suit _my_ tastes.

If you need to comment, comment here.  That's what a mailing list is
for.  We weren't trying to provide YA forum for people to provide random
comments.

As it stands, the poll represents what is possible using today's gcc.
It is not designed to be a wish list for a future gcc feature.  I don't
think that Mumit was volunteering to provide a new feature.  He was just
going to implement a feature for gcc which is already available in gcc.

cgf

* Re: STOP the RFC! Web poll for a.out vs a.exe vs foo.exe question
@ 2000-01-13 15:37 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-01-13 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mingw32

--- Mumit Khan <khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU> wrote:
> Had no idea that that one question would flood the mailing list like this!
> I also had no idea people cared ;-)
>
> DJ has set up a web poll, so do express your opinion.
>
>   http://www.delorie.com/cygwin/

The problem with the poll:

1) there is no place to comment.
2) Without our comments the poll would not have been setup the way that it is.
3) it can be adjusted to suit _my_ tastes.

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
Cygwin Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >