* Re: Undefined reference to '_ctype_'?
@ 2000-02-25  5:19 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-02-25  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kendall Bennett, cygwin

--- Kendall Bennett <KendallB@scitechsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I just installed the an updated Cygwin snapshot as mentioned on the
> woodsoup page which is based on the 2000-01-05 snapshot. I installed
> this over a B20.1 installation that I had up and running with GCC
> 2.95.2 installed, make 3.78.1 and bash 2.03. After installing the
> snapshot files I then re-built make which worked fine. I then tried
> re-building bash but it kept bailing at the link stage with the
> following errors:
-8<-
> I read about this error needing the latest cygwin1.dll snapshot, so I
> downloaded and installed the 2000-02-24 snapshot dll (which for some
> reason when I unzip it with WinZip has a date of 2000-05-28?), but
> this made no difference.
>
> So how do I solve this problem? Do I need to use the latest snapshot
> and re-build all the libraries or something? Where are some readme
> instructions on how to download a snapshot, compile it and install it?

You need to download the latest cygwin-inst tarball and replace your existing
headers and libs.  If you have any libraries you've built of your own you'll
have to rebuild those.  The cygwin1.dll is backward compatible to the existing
executable only, and not the existing objects and libraries that make the
executable.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32 >
    Mingw Home: (Coming Soon)

* Re: Undefined reference to '_ctype_'?
@ 2000-02-25 16:11 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-02-25 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kendall Bennett, Cygwin

--- Kendall Bennett <KendallB@scitechsoft.com> wrote:
> Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > You need to download the latest cygwin-inst tarball and replace
> > your existing headers and libs.  If you have any libraries you've
> > built of your own you'll have to rebuild those.  The cygwin1.dll is
> > backward compatible to the existing executable only, and not the
> > existing objects and libraries that make the executable.
>
> Ok. Someone has mentioned that the latest Cygwin snapshots are not
> very stable, so perhaps I should simply stick with the B20.1 release
> for now? Or is there a stable, later snapshot that I can install and
> use effectively (the latest DroolView one has the _ctype_ problems)?

I believe the DroolView uses a snapshot from January, 2000.  This would then be
the case that you need to have objects and libraries built with the runtime
headers for this snapshot.  I don't know if DroolView included the updated
headers.

> I am mainly interested in building X11 sources under Cygwin at the
> moment (so I can figure out the SGI OpenGL DDK without building on
> Linux ;-).

You might want to check the Cygwin-Xfree site and list:
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/xfree/ .  I know that you need the newer
snapshots to work with the libraries from this page.

=====
---

@ 2000-02-24 23:20 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 2000-02-24 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KendallB, cygwin

In a message dated 2/24/2000 10:20:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
KendallB@scitechsoft.com writes:

> Do I need to use the latest snapshot
>  and re-build all the libraries or something? Where are some readme
>  instructions on how to download a snapshot, compile it and install it?

AFAIK the most evident solutions to adapting the compiler to the newer style
ctype scheme are to install the appropriate pre-built compiler from Mumit
Khan's collection ( http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan ) or to go through the
cross-build (--host=i586-cygwin32 --target=i586-pc-cygwin32) and bootstrap
procedure. My version of these instructions is at
http://members.aol.com/n8tm/cygwingccg77.htm , and Mumit has given some also.
But right now I need to find a way to rejoin the ranks of the employed.

Tim
tprince@computer.org

* Re: 100% CPU with recent snapshots
@ 2000-02-23 15:20 Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-02-23 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Rankin; +Cc: Cygwin

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 09:06:19AM -0800, Rick Rankin wrote:
>With the recent snapshots (i.e., those I've tried since about 01/08), I've
>noticed that when I start bash in a cmd.exe window, my CPU usage goes to 100%.
>With the *very* recent snapshots (02/11, 02/21), I don't even get a prompt. The
>window appears with the cursor flashing in the upper left corner, but no
>prompt.
>
>I'm running Windows 2000 on a 400MHz PII, 128MB RAM, 10G HD.
>
>I've seen at least one other similar post, but no replies. Is this a common
>problem, or should I be looking at my configuration?

You're not seeing any reply because merely posting an observation does not
provide enough information to solve a problem.

I've seen a lot of email from people saying "I tried the 7-15-99 version
and it works and I tried the 1-15-2000 and it fails!" but I haven't gotten
anything from anyone who has attempted to debug the problem.

If someone wants to debug this then I'd be interested in hearing the
analysis.

It's not likely to be fixed otherwise.

cgf