* Re: The implementation of popen().
@ 2000-03-10  6:45 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-03-10  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Yllman, cygwin; +Cc: Chris Faylor

--- Jens Yllman <jens@uniweb.se> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  It is strange how many answers came to this thread as soon as someone
> found something amusing in the text. What I meant was that popen() is
> depending on for instance fork(). And fork() is depending on some other
> functions. So I did not see any easy way to just take that code and try
> to use it in my code. And I did not at once see if there were a simple
> solutions to my problem. So that is why I asked here to see if anybody
> know something about this.

Your question isn't related to using Cygwin, it is related to incorporating the
Cygwin source code into yours statically and that is off topic for this list.
As far as I know, no one has yet taken the time to build Cygwin statically so
you're on your own in getting using the pieces and parts of the code into
yours.

Regards,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: The implementation of popen().
@ 2000-03-10  8:51 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-10  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Jens Yllman, cygwin

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 06:45:18AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Jens Yllman <jens@uniweb.se> wrote:
>>  It is strange how many answers came to this thread as soon as someone
>> found something amusing in the text. What I meant was that popen() is
>> depending on for instance fork(). And fork() is depending on some other
>> functions. So I did not see any easy way to just take that code and try
>> to use it in my code. And I did not at once see if there were a simple
>> solutions to my problem. So that is why I asked here to see if anybody
>> know something about this.
>>

>Your question isn't related to using Cygwin, it is related to incorporating the
>Cygwin source code into yours statically and that is off topic for this list.
>As far as I know, no one has yet taken the time to build Cygwin statically so
>you're on your own in getting using the pieces and parts of the code into
>yours.

Thank you for clarifying this, Earnie.

Let me just reiterate that there are licensing issues if you attempt this
route, too.  If you link in cygwin pieces, your program will become
GPLed.

cgf

* Re: The implementation of popen().
@ 2000-03-13  0:33 jens
From: jens @ 2000-03-13  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: cgf

 Hi,

 I'm not looking to 'take' the code. What I was looking for was some information about how it was done in cygwin and if someone know if this was a simple solution. What I want is for stdin/stdout to work when I use popen() in multiple steps using the popen() in msvcrt.dll. And the reason for asking here was that it seem to work in cygwin. So I thought maybe the knowledge was here. But maybe I should ask at the cygwin-developer list instead. I just thought that I should not start by desturbing them.

 Jens Yllman

@ 2000-03-10 13:12     ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 2000-03-10 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNUWin32

On 9 Mar 2000 around 11:14AM (-0500) Chris Faylor wrote:

> I'm surprised that no one has yet stumbled into the complete quake
> emulation that we added to cygwin.

Yes, I saw that. Will you be providing a manpage in the net release?

-glenn

* Re: The implementation of popen().
@ 2000-03-10  9:27       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-10  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNUWin32

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 11:44:36PM +0100, Jens Yllman wrote:
> The problem with popen() under vc++ is that if I start a program with
>popen(). That program can not start another program with popen(). Or
>actually the program is started. It is just the the piping does not seem
>to work. But if I compile it with gcc it works. The thing I'm doing is
>running my program from a web server. And since it is a general program
>reading configs to know what it does. It could be that my program calls
>it self. And since this is a CGI program it 'pipes' data back with
>stdout. And if that does not work recursivly it gets limited. On UNIX
>this works great.

And, I'll bet you're not using VC++ on UNIX, either.

Just a hunch.

cgf

* Re: The implementation of popen().
@ 2000-03-10  0:20     ` Jens Yllman
From: Jens Yllman @ 2000-03-10  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Chris Faylor

       [not found]   ` <rhhgcsghmj8epvc6318afsa51i4994fbtl@4ax.com>
@ 2000-03-09 23:23     ` Jens Yllman
From: Jens Yllman @ 2000-03-09 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jrson, GNUWin32

@ 2000-03-09 14:40 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-03-09 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Heribert Dahms wrote:
> [...]
> > BTW: While running cygwin try plugging the power cord off.
> > This should start ntsec's high security mode (NSA approved).
> >
> > [Heribert]  Unless you are working on a laptop 8-)

Got me!

Corinna

* RE: The implementation of popen().
@ 2000-03-09 14:28 Heribert Dahms
From: Heribert Dahms @ 2000-03-09 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

see below!

Bye, Heribert (heribert_dahms@icon-gmbh.de)

@ 2000-03-09 14:21         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-03-09 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 10:31:41PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Chris Faylor wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> I'm surprised that no one has yet stumbled into the complete quake
> >> emulation that we added to cygwin.  You just have to type the correct
> >> hot keys and then begin playing...
> >
> >Ahh, I remember. It's Ctrl-Alt-Del isn't it?
>
> That's a good start.  You have to toggle the on/off switch really really
> fast too.

After trying this, smoke comes out of my pc case.
Does this mean, the quake emu is starting now?

Corinna

@ 2000-03-09 13:44       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-09 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-03-09 13:32     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-03-09 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:
> [...]
> I'm surprised that no one has yet stumbled into the complete quake
> emulation that we added to cygwin.  You just have to type the correct
> hot keys and then begin playing...

Ahh, I remember. It's Ctrl-Alt-Del isn't it?

Corinna

* Re: The implementation of popen().
@ 2000-03-09  8:14   ` Chris Faylor
                       ` (2 more replies)
       [not found]   ` <rhhgcsghmj8epvc6318afsa51i4994fbtl@4ax.com>
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-09  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNUWin32

       [not found] <200003061632.IAA06269@netcom.com>
@ 2000-03-08 23:29 ` Jens Yllman
       [not found]   ` <rhhgcsghmj8epvc6318afsa51i4994fbtl@4ax.com>
From: Jens Yllman @ 2000-03-08 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Whitten; +Cc: GNUWin32

@ 2000-03-06  8:17 Jens Yllman
From: Jens Yllman @ 2000-03-06  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNUWin32

 Hello,

 I've a UNIX program that uses popen(). But when I try to use that with
_popen() that is in Win32 I can not call a program that uses _popen().
But this works with popen() in Cygwin. I've looked at the code in
Cygwin. And it as quite alot of code. So I just wonder if there is
anybody here who know what is realy needed to get it to work. Why I
don't use Cygwin for this project is because I link with a static
library that does only work with MS-Visual C++.

 I guess this realy is a question for the developer list. But I only
have this question and don't have time to contribute to the project at
the moment. So I don't want to bother that list.

 Jens Yllman