* proper terminal type for tcsh under Cygwin?
@ 2000-03-21 12:14 Steve Kelem
From: Steve Kelem @ 2000-03-21 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin, Christos Zoulas

What's the proper terminal type for running tcsh under Cygwin 1.0?
term=linux doesn't support character insert (type something on the
command line, then move the cursor to the beginning of the line with
C-a, then start typing. The text doesn't move over for the new
characters.) or proper line wrapping (run "ls -l | less". Extra newlines
are displayed.).
term=ansi does better than linux, but doesn't handle move cursor to
beginning of line properly. I have prompt="%S%s%m:kelem:%! ".  If I type
"aC-a" (where C-a is control-a), the cursor properly moves to the
beginning of the line (the character "a"). Similarly, typing "a bC-a"
also works.  However, typing "a b cC-a" moves the cursor to the space
before the "a".

Thanks for your help,
Steve Kelem

* Re: proper terminal type for tcsh under Cygwin?
@ 2000-03-21 12:42 ` Christos Zoulas
From: Christos Zoulas @ 2000-03-21 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Kelem, Cygwin

On Mar 21, 12:14pm, kelem@adaptivesilicon.com (Steve Kelem) wrote:
-- Subject: proper terminal type for tcsh under Cygwin?

| This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
| --------------749D8510AAEEA47091297500
|
| What's the proper terminal type for running tcsh under Cygwin 1.0?
| term=linux doesn't support character insert (type something on the
| command line, then move the cursor to the beginning of the line with
| C-a, then start typing. The text doesn't move over for the new
| characters.) or proper line wrapping (run "ls -l | less". Extra newlines
| are displayed.).
| term=ansi does better than linux, but doesn't handle move cursor to
| beginning of line properly. I have prompt="%S%s%m:kelem:%! ".  If I type
| "aC-a" (where C-a is control-a), the cursor properly moves to the
| beginning of the line (the character "a"). Similarly, typing "a bC-a"
| also works.  However, typing "a b cC-a" moves the cursor to the space
| before the "a".

Maybe term=vt100 ?

christos

* Re: proper terminal type for tcsh under Cygwin?
@ 2000-03-21 13:34   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-21 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 03:42:20PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>On Mar 21, 12:14pm, kelem@adaptivesilicon.com (Steve Kelem) wrote:
>>What's the proper terminal type for running tcsh under Cygwin 1.0?
>
>Maybe term=vt100 ?

How about just using the default "TERM=cygwin"?

cgf

* Re: proper terminal type for tcsh under Cygwin?
@ 2000-03-21 13:53     ` Steve Kelem
From: Steve Kelem @ 2000-03-21 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Christos Zoulas

set term=vt100 yields:
tcsh: No entry for terminal type "vt100"
tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.
But I doubt it would work anyway, because the window can be resized, and
I don't think the vt100 entry is that smart.

set term=cygwin yields no insert mode when you move the cursor into the
middle of a word. The new characters overwrite the old characters, but a
C-r shows that the new characters really were inserted.

Steve

@ 2000-03-21 15:32       ` Christos Zoulas
From: Christos Zoulas @ 2000-03-21 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Kelem, cygwin

On Mar 21,  1:52pm, kelem@adaptivesilicon.com (Steve Kelem) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: proper terminal type for tcsh under Cygwin?

| This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
| --------------53E8863F01234FE5F2DED98C
|
| set term=vt100 yields:
| tcsh: No entry for terminal type "vt100"
| tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.
| But I doubt it would work anyway, because the window can be resized, and
| I don't think the vt100 entry is that smart.
|
| set term=cygwin yields no insert mode when you move the cursor into the
| middle of a word. The new characters overwrite the old characters, but a
| C-r shows that the new characters really were inserted.

I know this is suboptimal, but you can use telltc to figure out
what the bad entries, and settc to fix them. The editor in tcsh
will work properly with most termcap entries empty, but it will
be less efficient.

When you come up with a working version you can store it in a file
or put it in your TERMCAP environment variable.

christos

* Re: proper terminal type for tcsh under Cygwin?
@ 2000-03-21 15:58         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-21 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 06:32:35PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>On Mar 21,  1:52pm, kelem@adaptivesilicon.com (Steve Kelem) wrote:
>>set term=cygwin yields no insert mode when you move the cursor into the
>>middle of a word.  The new characters overwrite the old characters, but
>>a C-r shows that the new characters really were inserted.
>
>I know this is suboptimal, but you can use telltc to figure out what
>the bad entries, and settc to fix them.  The editor in tcsh will work
>properly with most termcap entries empty, but it will be less
>efficient.
>
>When you come up with a working version you can store it in a file or
>put it in your TERMCAP environment variable.

FWIW, I don't see this problem at all.  Inserting a character works
correctly for me.  You should not have to set the terminal type.  It
should be automatic.

cgf

* Re: proper terminal type for tcsh under Cygwin?
@ 2000-03-21 17:04           ` Steve Kelem
From: Steve Kelem @ 2000-03-21 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

What do you get in a tcsh shell when you type "echo $term"?

Steve

@ 2000-03-21 17:31             ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-21 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 05:04:09PM -0800, Steve Kelem wrote:
>What do you get in a tcsh shell when you type "echo $term"?

As I've mentioned, the value of the TERM environment variable
is "cygwin" by default.  That's what I see.