* Re: Where to install the source?
@ 2000-03-23  5:29 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-03-23  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiersba, 'cygwin'

--- John Wiersba <John.Wiersba@medstat.com> wrote:
> Where is a good place to install the cygwin source?  I've been running
> cygwin for about a year now, and I want to try compiling it and some of the
> ported programs which aren't included in full.exe, like vim.  By doing
> everything cleanly from the start, I'm trying to avoid the problems I had
> previously with _ctype_.

Caused by old runtime support files with a new runtime snapshot.

> So, is there a preferred location to unpack the source, something like
> /usr/local/src/cygwin-19990115?  I'm trying to make my life as easy as
> possible down the road, when I might have multiple versions of things lying
> around.

I'll suggest you use a local version of CVS to control multiple versions of
things lying around.  As for a preferred directory, your choice really, I
prefer /prj/Cygwin.

As for what source to start with.  Use the current version from CVS.

> Also, I notice in the readme file, it mentions that the tools have a
> built-in path of /cygnus/cygwin-b20.  Does that mean that I'll have to set
> environment variables like GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and BISONLIB if I install
> full.exe into a directory other than /cygnus?  Are those the only two
> environment variables that I'll have to set or are there others?  If I don't
> want to have to set up environment variables to let the tools find their
> library files, can I create a symlink from /cygnus to my installation dir?

BISONLIB, probably.  GCC_EXEC_PREFIX, probably not (it depends on your setup).

> Another couple questions:
>
> 1) I notice that libiberty.a exists in H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32/lib and
> also in H-i586-cygwin32/lib and that these two version have different sizes.
> Is that something to worry about?
>    77952 Dec  1  1998 ./H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32/lib/libiberty.a
>    73508 Dec  1  1998 ./H-i586-cygwin32/lib/libiberty.a

I don't know about this one.  Size difference could just be debug info.

> 2) I've installed the 19990115 cygwin1.dll.  There are three other files of
> interest in the snapshot-19990115 dir:
>    cygwin-inst-19990115.tar.gz
>    cygwin-src-19990115.tar.gz
>    winsup-src-19990115.tar.gz

I explain these on my webpage.  winsup-src is included in cygwin-src.
cygwin-inst contains the runtime support files and would be the low level
directories of `make install'

> I presume that the location for the two source tarballs will be obvious once
> I've installed the main sources from dev-src and user-src.  (And I assume
> they will overlay the original sources exactly).  But where does the
> cygwin-inst tarball go?  It unpacks into four directories:
>    bin
>    etc
>    i586-pc-cygwin32
>    lib
> There isn't any i586-pc-cygwin32 dir installed from full.exe.  Are these
> dirs supposed to mesh somehow with these directories from full.exe:

The i[3456789]86 is host architecture dependant.  So if the build happens a a
i786 that is what it will be, if it happens on a i386 that is what it will be.
The next release will be i686-pc-cygwin, note the 32 isn't there.

>    cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin
>    cygwin-b20/etc
>    cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32    <<  notice no "-pc-" in name
>    cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib
> Also, the cygwin1.dll in the bin directory dated 1/16/99 doesn't cmp with
> the uncompressed cygwin1-19990115.dll.gz which comes from the
> snapshot-19990115 directory.  What's up with that?

The time of day of the build, Midnight.

> Thanks in advance for all your help!  I've read lots of faqs and readme
> files and poked around on the related sites page, but if I've missed
> something, I'd appreciate it if you could point me to it.

You're welcome.  Feel free to contact me personally if you have more questions.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__