* CYGWIN: New version, B21, CD 1.0 ?
@ 2000-04-10  9:40 laurent.roche
From: laurent.roche @ 2000-04-10  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf; +Cc: cygwin

Hello,
(I am not sure if you are the right person to mail this, but I could not find a
reference to mail, except to the mailing list, and I wanted a CYGNUS anwer. Feel
free to forward)

I looked at the FAQ, the mailing list, the web site: I can not find any answers
! ! ;-(

I have been using CYGWIN for two year now, but having a few problems with B20.1,
I would like to know what the current situtation about versions is.

The last "official" version B20.1 is from end of 1998 (MORE THAN A YEAR AGO ! !
!).
The CD version (1.0) is supposed to be the same as B20.1 (from what I could
gather, but this is not really clear).

What about B21 ?

Is B20.1 the last "official" release on the net (by opposition to the snapshots)
?
Do we have to buy the CD (which I am fairly happy to consider as I am using
CYGWIN in a corporate environment) ? But in this case, I would like to have a
fairly clear (well, we know we are talking about software ;-) ) releases road
map. AND I would like to know what version is it (compared to the B ones).

My main concern is to know how CYGNUS considers the CYGWIN project at the
moment. Is this something CYGNUS wants to work on, or just leave to the net
community.

I think you should consider adding a few explanations about all of this on the
web site (at least in the FAQ if not in the presentation or the first page).

Thank you for your help,
Laurent ROCHE

This transmission has been issued by a member of the HSBC group ("HSBC")
for the information of the addressee only and should not be reproduced
and / or distributed to any other person. Each page attached hereto must
be read in conjunction with any disclaimer which forms part of it. Unless
otherwise stated, this transmission is neither an offer nor the solicitation
of an offer to sell or purchase any investment. Its contents are based on
information obtained from sources believed to be reliable but HSBC makes
no representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as to its
completeness or accuracy.

* Re: CYGWIN: New version, B21, CD 1.0 ?
@ 2000-04-10  9:53 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-04-10  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: laurent.roche; +Cc: cgf, cygwin

> I have been using CYGWIN for two year now, but having a few problems
> with B20.1, I would like to know what the current situtation about
> versions is.

We are working on a new net release, which will be packaged completely
differently than the previous distributions.  The new distribution
will be more like djgpp, where individual packages can be updated as
needed, so hopefully you won't have to wait months or years just to
get one component updated.  We also hope that the new scheme will
foster more net involvement in keeping the net release up to date.

> The CD version (1.0) is supposed to be the same as B20.1 (from what I could
> gather, but this is not really clear).

No, the CD version is much newer than B20.1.

> What about B21 ?

The next release will be "unversioned" as each component will become
independent, so a version number for the collection would be
meaningless.  However, the version number for the cygwin component
(i.e. the dll) will be 1.1.0.  Following Linux tradition, version
numbers with odd middle parts (1.1.x, 1.3.x, etc) will be "unstable"
releases (in our case, we'll use it for net releases) and even numbers
(1.0.x, 1.2.x, etc) will be for "stable" (or in our case, commercial)
releases.  The third number changes as updates are posted.

> Is B20.1 the last "official" release on the net (by opposition to
> the snapshots) ?

So far, yes.

> Do we have to buy the CD (which I am fairly happy to consider as I am using
> CYGWIN in a corporate environment) ?

No, but you don't *have* to buy lots of things that you may *want* to
buy.  For example, the CD has a different version of gcc, which you
can't get off the net, and which includes optimizations Cygnus did for
the Intel Pentiums that you can't get in egcs.

> AND I would like to know what version is it (compared to the B ones).

Hard to say.  It's newer and it's 1.0.

> My main concern is to know how CYGNUS considers the CYGWIN project at the
> moment. Is this something CYGNUS wants to work on, or just leave to the net
> community.

We want to work on it, yes, but keep in mind that our priorities may
be different than yours (or anyone's).  So, while we may have a staff
of dedicated cygwin engineers, that doesn't mean you'll see anything
interesting to you.

> I think you should consider adding a few explanations about all of this on the
> web site (at least in the FAQ if not in the presentation or the first page).

We do.  It says what the latest versions are.  What more needs to be
said?  Until we actually release something new, there isn't anything
really to say (outside the developers list, where this is all common
knowledge).

* Cygwin CD v1.0 on the net?
@ 2000-04-11  0:22   ` Philip (FireEgl)
From: Philip (FireEgl) @ 2000-04-11  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin

Where can I download the Cygwin CD v1.0?  Surely someone must have
it available on the net...

* Re: Cygwin CD v1.0 on the net?
@ 2000-04-11  4:54     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-11  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 02:22:23AM -0500, Philip (FireEgl) wrote:
>Where can I download the Cygwin CD v1.0?  Surely someone must have
>it available on the net...

FWIW, the installer that comes with the Cygwin CD is not open source,
so hopefully this is not available for download.

cgf

* Re: CYGWIN: New version, B21, CD 1.0 ?
@ 2000-04-11  4:55 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-11  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 09:06:23AM +0100, Joerg Troeger wrote:
>>>I think you should consider adding a few explanations about all of this
>>>on the web site (at least in the FAQ if not in the presentation or the
>>>first page).
>
>>We do.  It says what the latest versions are.  What more needs to be
>>said?  Until we actually release something new, there isn't anything
>>really to say (outside the developers list, where this is all common
>>knowledge).
>
>What more?  It would be nice and helpful and even worth the effort, to
>have some information about the state of a soon-to-be-coming release.
>
>"The eCos host tools and GNU development tools are dependent on the
>forthcoming full release of the Cygwin tools (scheduled 2000-04-07).
>It will not be possible to build eCos on Windows hosts prior to the
>release of the new Cygwin tools." (
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/install-windows.html )
>
>For two weeks I am looking for this forthcoming full release of the
>Cygwin tools, which has been delayed for several times.
>
>What's about this release?  The cygwin page doesn't mention it.
>
>It is interesting not only for developers, to get information about
>scheduled new releases.  Should I join to the developer mailing list,
>to get this information?

The developers list is for people who are contributing to the cygwin
project.

cgf

* Re: CYGWIN: New version, B21, CD 1.0 ?
@ 2000-04-11  0:10 Joerg Troeger
From: Joerg Troeger @ 2000-04-11  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin