* [net release] solution to -mno-cygwin problem
@ 2000-04-18 13:49 Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2000-04-18 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks to a lovely cold, and I'm home with time to install the new net
release, and of course the first thing I tried was to reproduce the
-mno-cygwin problem reported lately.

Here's the symptom: when you -mno-cygwin, gcc should be looking in mingw
include directory first, but it's not.

The problem: We somehoe mixed up the name mingw and mingw32, and things
have gotten confused. GCC is looking for a directory named:

  /usr/i686-pc-cygwin/include/mingw32

whereas the directory is named:

  /usr/i686-pc-cygwin/include/mingw

in the net release. Something that will fixed soon.

The solution is any one of the following three:

1. Symbolically link the following:

   $ cd /usr/i686-pc-cygwin/include
   $ ln -s mingw mingw32

This is what I've done locally.

2. Rename the directory:

   $ cd /usr/i686-pc-cygwin/include
   $ mv mingw mingw32

Just as easy.

3. Edit the gcc specs file (`gcc -print-file-name=specs'), taking care
   not to wrap any lines and so on, and change `mingw32' to `mingw' in
   the:
     -iwithprefix ../../../../include/mingw32
     -iwithprefix ../../../../include/mingw

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: [net release] solution to -mno-cygwin problem
@ 2000-04-19  6:45 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-04-19  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Robinow; +Cc: cygwin users

--- David Robinow <drobinow@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Mumit Khan <khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU> wrote:
> > >      -iwithprefix ../../../../include/mingw32
> >        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >        -iwithprefixbefore
> > >      -iwithprefix ../../../../include/mingw
> >        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >        -iwithprefixbefore
>  OK. Where is this documented? I once thought I
> needed to edit the specs file and didn't have a
> clue. (Yes, I know this can be dangerous.)

Where is _what_ documented?

You can get a list of options via `gcc -v --help > gcc.help 2>&1'.  You can
also look at the info file documentation.

As for the specs file itself, I've been told that the documentation resides in
the gcc source code.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: [net release] solution to -mno-cygwin problem
@ 2000-04-19  5:54 David Robinow
From: David Robinow @ 2000-04-19  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-04-19  5:32 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-04-19  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan, cygwin

--- Mumit Khan <khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU> wrote:
-8<-
> The solution is any one of the following three:

-8<-
> 3. Edit the gcc specs file (`gcc -print-file-name=specs'), taking care
>    not to wrap any lines and so on, and change `mingw32' to `mingw' in
>    the:
>      -iwithprefix ../../../../include/mingw32
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
       -iwithprefixbefore
>      -iwithprefix ../../../../include/mingw
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
       -iwithprefixbefore

FTR, the difference is -iwithprefix puts the directory _after_ the list of
already included directories and -iwithprefixbefore puts the directory _before_

@ 2000-04-18 14:47 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-04-18 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 02:08:03PM -0700, David Robinow wrote:
> >--- Mumit Khan <khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU> wrote:
> >>I'm having trouble typing this note, and looks like my body is fighting
> >>back for the all abuses of late.
> >I hope you aren't referring to the completely unwarranted recent
> >attacks on the mingw mailing list.  In any case, please get well soon.
>
> ???  I guess I have to start reading this mailing list.  I can't imagine
> how any sane person could criticize Mumit for his manifold and amazing
> contributions to free software.

It's just one person who claims to be a user not a programmer that thinks he
knows more than he does.  He's trying to get something for nothing by bad
mouthing and complaining.  The verbage gets rather long.  Best just left
ignored.

=====
---

@ 2000-04-18 14:42 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-18 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 02:08:03PM -0700, David Robinow wrote:
>--- Mumit Khan <khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU> wrote:
>>I'm having trouble typing this note, and looks like my body is fighting
>>back for the all abuses of late.
>I hope you aren't referring to the completely unwarranted recent
>attacks on the mingw mailing list.  In any case, please get well soon.

???  I guess I have to start reading this mailing list.  I can't imagine
how any sane person could criticize Mumit for his manifold and amazing
contributions to free software.

cgf

* Re: [net release] solution to -mno-cygwin problem
@ 2000-04-18 14:23   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-18 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 03:56:42PM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Chris Faylor wrote:
>
>> You can upload a fixed version of the tar file, right Mumit?
>> Otherwise, if this is a problem, I can probably do this pretty
>> quickly.
>
>I'm having trouble typing this note, and looks like my body is fighting
>back for the all abuses of late. I'd very much appreciate it if you could
>take care of it (any of the 3 solutions will work of course).
>
>I Should've paid more attention after the cygwin source re-arrangement.
>Oh well. The screwup can be fixed either:
>
>1. Change winsup/mingw/configure.in HEADER_SUBDIR to mingw32 instead
>   of mingw.
>
>2. Chagne the gcc specs file of course.

Which do you prefer?  It looks like "make install" in the mingw directory
defaults to "mingw".  I think we should probably stick with the mingw32,
though, if that's what we've always done.

That means renaming the directory in the tar file and changing configure.in
in winsup/mingw.

Agreed?

cgf

* Re: [net release] solution to -mno-cygwin problem
@ 2000-04-18 14:08 David Robinow
From: David Robinow @ 2000-04-18 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found] <20000418165145.A9843@cygnus.com>