* newsetup does nothing
@ 2000-04-25 12:47 Jonathan Larmour
       [not found] ` <003501bfaef2$d1ac1e60$4a0f4dd1@default>
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-04-25 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dudes,

I just wiped my windows partition of all traces of its old cygwin
installation (including registry) so I could install 1.1.

With the setup.exe I just downloaded, nothing happens once it gets to the
install stage. After I tell it to use the default c:\cygwin root and
internet install, it just reports:

-=-=-=-=-
Connecting to ftp site...Done.
Creating the uninstall file...Done.

Installation took 24 seconds.
-=-=-=-=-

and setup.log contains just the uninstall line.

oldsetup.exe gets further, but not much:
-=-=-=-=-=-
[snip]
Connecting to ftp site...Done.
Connecting to ftp site...Done.
Connecting to ftp site...Done.
Connecting to ftp site...Done.
Connecting to ftp site...Done.
Unable to open "\s45.12" for output: No such file or directory

Downloading: users-guide.tar.gz...Error retrieving
" http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/Users-Guide/../users-guide.tar.gz ".

Unable to retrieve
http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/Users-Guide/../users-guide.tar.gz
Downloading: users-guide.tar.gz...Error retrieving
" http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/Users-Guide/../users-guide.tar.gz ".
[repeat ad nauseam]
-=-=-=-=-=-

and it just keeps failing to download.

Obviously I can download all the .tar.gz's by hand, but still...

Jifl

* Re: newsetup does nothing
       [not found] ` <003501bfaef2$d1ac1e60$4a0f4dd1@default>
@ 2000-04-25 13:21   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-04-25 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince; +Cc: cygwin

Tim Prince wrote:

> I saw this kind of behavior under W2K, and corrected it by cleaning out the
> temporary directory where setup is running.  Still can't figure out the W95C
> behavior; all sorts of failures to create directories, etc.

The directory was empty (other than setup.exe), and this is NT4 SP6.

Jifl

* Re: newsetup does nothing
       [not found] ` <003501bfaef2$d1ac1e60$4a0f4dd1@default>
@ 2000-04-25 13:27 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-25 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 08:47:35PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>I just wiped my windows partition of all traces of its old cygwin
>installation (including registry) so I could install 1.1.
>
>With the setup.exe I just downloaded, nothing happens once it gets to the
>install stage. After I tell it to use the default c:\cygwin root and
>internet install, it just reports:
>
>-=-=-=-=-
>Connecting to ftp site...Done.
>Creating the uninstall file...Done.
>
>Installation took 24 seconds.
>-=-=-=-=-
>
>and setup.log contains just the uninstall line.
>
>oldsetup.exe gets further, but not much:

This isn't getting any further.  It's just printing more messages.
Judging by the fact that this is printing something with the name
"Squid" in it, I assume that there is some problem there.  There isn't
any users-guide.tar.gz available for downloading.

The setup code is using generic Microsoft Internet API calls to download
stuff but apparently this isn't foolproof.

cgf

>-=-=-=-=-=-
>[snip]
>Connecting to ftp site...Done.
>Connecting to ftp site...Done.
>Connecting to ftp site...Done.
>Connecting to ftp site...Done.
>Connecting to ftp site...Done.
>Unable to open "\s45.12" for output: No such file or directory
>
>Downloading: users-guide.tar.gz...Error retrieving
>" http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/Users-Guide/../users-guide.tar.gz ".
>
>Unable to retrieve
> http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/Users-Guide/../users-guide.tar.gz
>Downloading: users-guide.tar.gz...Error retrieving
>" http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/Users-Guide/../users-guide.tar.gz ".
>[repeat ad nauseam]

* Re: newsetup does nothing
@ 2000-04-25 13:18 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-04-25 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> What happens if you choose a different mirror to download from?

It's the same on sunsite.org.uk and sourceware.cygnus.com for both old and
new installers.

Jifl

* Re: newsetup does nothing
@ 2000-04-25 13:08 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-04-25 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, cygwin

What happens if you choose a different mirror to download from?

Cheers,
Earnie