* RE: Cygwin 1.0: Error when launching MSDOS bat file from bash on  Windows 2000
@ 2000-04-26  6:15 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-04-26  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berche, Guillaume, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

--- "Berche, Guillaume" <Guillaume.Berche@mkms.xerox.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> > And, if cygwin invokes the MSDOS shell using this path:
> >
> > command.com /foo/bar/blaz/blat.bat
> >
> > what kind of behavior would you predict?
>
> Well when experimenting it seems that it does not work because it launches a
> new interactive MSDOS command shell instead of interpreting the bat file.
> However the command
> cmd.exe /C /foo/bar/blaz/blat.bat seems to work fine with both relative and
> absolute paths on NT and Windows 2000.

WOW!!  I just tried starting bash for MSDOS CMD.EXE using forward slashes in
the path and it worked!! :0  Too bad I can't cd to the directory using forward
slashes.

Chris, the problem isn't that foo.bat won't execute under Cygwin bash, it will.
 The problem is that it won't execute with relative paths.  Absolute paths work
great.  I was able to emulate Guillaume's problem with his example.

Example:

---foo.bat---
REM This will execute under the MSDOS shell.
PAUSE
REM End of foo.bat
---end foo.bat---

/path/to/foo.bat; #works
path/to/foo.bat; #doesn't work
./path/to/foo.bat; #works

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: Cygwin 1.0: Error when launching MSDOS bat file from bash on  Windows 2000
@ 2000-04-26  8:08 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-26  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 06:15:24AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- "Berche, Guillaume" <Guillaume.Berche@mkms.xerox.com> wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> > And, if cygwin invokes the MSDOS shell using this path:
>> >
>> > command.com /foo/bar/blaz/blat.bat
>> >
>> > what kind of behavior would you predict?
>>
>> Well when experimenting it seems that it does not work because it launches a
>> new interactive MSDOS command shell instead of interpreting the bat file.
>> However the command
>> cmd.exe /C /foo/bar/blaz/blat.bat seems to work fine with both relative and
>> absolute paths on NT and Windows 2000.
>>

>WOW!!  I just tried starting bash for MSDOS CMD.EXE using forward slashes in
>the path and it worked!! :0  Too bad I can't cd to the directory using forward
>slashes.
>
>Chris, the problem isn't that foo.bat won't execute under Cygwin bash, it will.
> The problem is that it won't execute with relative paths.  Absolute paths work
>great.  I was able to emulate Guillaume's problem with his example.

Great.  Now all that somebody has to do is debug this and figure out why.

Or we can keep reporting the same problem over and over and complaining about
how it doesn't work.  Either way is fine with me.

cgf

* RE: Cygwin 1.0: Error when launching MSDOS bat file from bash on  Windows 2000
@ 2000-04-26  8:36 Berche, Guillaume
From: Berche, Guillaume @ 2000-04-26  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com', 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Earnie,

Well, I've finally understood why it does not work on Windows 2000. On 2000, the cmd.exe is more restrictive that in NT: it does not accept path with forward slashes '/' as it does in NT 4.0

The workaround I use for interactive use it to define the following alias:
start_file () {
    cmd /c `cygpath -w $1`
}
alias start=start_file

Then I would type in my bash shell:

> start ./test1/test2/run.bat

Note that it also works for other type of files such as MS words files (it launches MS-Word), PDF, HTML, and all the files whose extension have been mapped to an application on the NT workstation.

For our bash scripts, we'll specifically invoke cmd /c `cygpath -w ./test1/test2/run.bat`

I hope this can help other cygwin users.

Regards,

Guillaume.

@ 2000-04-26  1:01 Berche, Guillaume
From: Berche, Guillaume @ 2000-04-26  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Chris,

> And, if cygwin invokes the MSDOS shell using this path:
>=20
> command.com /foo/bar/blaz/blat.bat
>=20
> what kind of behavior would you predict?

Well when experimenting it seems that it does not work because it =
launches a new interactive MSDOS command shell instead of interpreting =
the bat file. However the command
cmd.exe /C /foo/bar/blaz/blat.bat seems to work fine with both relative =
and absolute paths on NT and Windows 2000.=20

It also seems that the command=20
cmd.exe /C `cygpath -w /foo/bar/blaz/blat.bat`=20
also works fine.

If this can help I quote below the help file related to cmd.exe on NT =
4.0.=20
If I'm the only one to have troubles with this problem then it might =
not be worth fixing it ?! I'll adapt the bash scripts (that launch BAT =
files) we're using to use a workaround. It's just difficult for native =
NT users to understand that when using a bash shell they can execute =
bash scripts but not MSDOS scripts, it makes their adoption of cygwin =
harder but it's no big deal, I'll try to explain...

Guillaume.

Cmd

Starts a new instance of the Windows=A0NT command interpreter, CMD.EXE. =

A command interpreter is a program that displays the command prompt at =
which you type commands. Use the exit command to stop the new command =
interpreter and return control to the old one.=20
cmd [/x | /y] [/a | /u] [/q] [/t:fg] [ [/c | /k] string]

Parameters=20

/c=20
Carries out the command specified by string and then stops.=20
/k=20
Carries out the command specified by string and continues.
/q=20
Turns the echo off.
/a=20
Creates ANSI output.
/u=20
Creates Unicode output.
/t:fg
Sets the foreground and background colors. (For more information, see =
the color command.)
/x
Enables extensions to the Windows=A0NT version of CMD.EXE, to provide a =
richer shell programming environment. The following commands use the =
extensions: del (
erase), color, cd (chdir), md (mdir), prompt, pushd, popd, set, =
setlocal, endlocal, if, for, call, shift, goto, start, assoc, and =
ftype. For details, see the Help for each command.

/y
Disables extensions to the Windows=A0NT version of CMD.EXE, for =
backward compatibility reasons. The extensions are enabled by default.
string
Specifies the command you want to carry out.

* Re: Cygwin 1.0: Error when launching MSDOS bat file from bash on Windows 2000
@ 2000-04-25  6:03 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-25  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 2000-04-25  6:00 Berche, Guillaume
From: Berche, Guillaume @ 2000-04-25  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Chris,

@ 2000-04-21  6:00 Berche, Guillaume
From: Berche, Guillaume @ 2000-04-21  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com', 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Earnie,

> > Well, the mechanism is working fine with NT 4.0 but on
> Windows 2000 it fails
> > (or it might be related to some other configuration params
> I missed ?!) If
> > anybody have an idea of how to correct this I am very interested!
> >

> Actually, it fails on NT4 as well.

Well my description was incorrect actually (the steps I gave are broken because of a copy/paste error); the following steps work on NT4 as shown below ( I had forgotten the . at the beginning of the commands i.e test1/test2/run.bat does not work whereas ./test1/test2/run.bat would)

> cd /
> mkdir -p test1/test2
> cat > test1/test2/run.bat
REM start of MSDOS test
PAUSE
REM end of  MSDOS test
^C

> ./test1/test2/run.bat
C:\>REM start of MSDOS test

C:\>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .

C:\>REM end of  MSDOS test

> cd test1
> ./test2/run.bat
C:\test1>REM start of MSDOS test

C:\test1>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .

C:\test1>REM end of  MSDOS test

> cd test2
> ./run.bat

> Yep.  I just tried your test and your assumption would have
> to be correct.  I
> agree with your bug report.  Would you care to submit a patch?

I wish I could. However, I am afraid I'm missing skills to be able to find out the source of the problem and a solution to it. Anibody around that has a good grasp on the code and could spot out the problem?

Guillaume.

* RE: Cygwin 1.0: Error when launching MSDOS bat file from bash on Windows 2000
@ 2000-04-20  6:50 Berche, Guillaume
From: Berche, Guillaume @ 2000-04-20  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Sorry for the duplicate mail, I forgot to include the output of cygcheck -s -v -r to my bug report. Its content follows.

Guillaume.

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Thu Apr 20 13:29:50 2000

WinNT Ver 5.0 build 2195

Path:	/bin
	/opt/gnu/bin
	/cygdrive/g/Tools/cvs-1.10
	/cygdrive/g/Tools/emacs-20.3.1/bin
	/WINNT/MS/SMS/CORE/BIN
	/WINNT/MS/SMS/CORE/BIN
	/WINNT/system32
	/WINNT
	/WINNT/System32/Wbem
	/bin
	/opt/gnu/bin
	/Program Files/Rational/common

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

HOME = `/users/ferrenq'
PWD = `/test1/test2'

!:: = `::\'
ALLUSERSPROFILE = `C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT'
APPDATA = `C:\Documents and Settings\ferrenq\Application Data'
COMMONPROGRAMFILES = `C:\Program Files\Common Files'
COMPUTERNAME = `ROUSSET'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe'
CVSROOT = `:pserver:ferrenq@cvsserver:/opt/Mkms/cvs_repo'
EDITOR = `notepad'
HOMEDRIVE = `C:'
HOMEPATH = `\'
HOSTNAME = `ROUSSET'
HOSTTYPE = `i686'
LOGONSERVER = `\\CAUCASE'
MACHTYPE = `i686-pc-cygwin'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `1'
OLDPWD = `/test1'
OS2LIBPATH = `C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;'
OS = `Windows_NT'
OSTYPE = `cygwin'
PATHEXT = `.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `6'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `0801'
PROGRAMFILES = `C:\Program Files'
PS1 = `\h:$PWD>'
SHELL = `/bin/sh'
SHLVL = `1'
SMS_LOCAL_DIR = `C:\WINNT'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `C:'
SYSTEMROOT = `C:\WINNT'
TEMP = `C:\DOCUME~1\ferrenq\LOCALS~1\Temp'
TERM = `cygwin'
TMP = `C:\DOCUME~1\ferrenq\LOCALS~1\Temp'
TMPDIR = `C:\Cygwin\/tmp'
TZ = `MET'
USERDOMAIN = `XRCE'
USERNAME = `ferrenq'
USERPROFILE = `C:\Documents and Settings\ferrenq'
WINDIR = `C:\WINNT'
_ = `/bin/cygcheck'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\1.00.000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `C:'
  flags = 0x00000008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/bin
  (default) = `C:/Cygwin/bin'
  flags = 0x00000008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/contrib
  (default) = `C:/Cygwin/contrib'
  flags = 0x00000008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/etc
  (default) = `C:/Cygwin/etc'
  flags = 0x00000008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/opt/gnu/bin
  (default) = `C:/Cygwin/contrib/bin'
  flags = 0x00000008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/opt/Tools/bin
  (default) = `C:/Cygwin/bin'
  flags = 0x00000008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/share
  (default) = `C:/Cygwin/share'
  flags = 0x00000008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/tmp
  (default) = `C:/Cygwin/tmp'
  flags = 0x00000008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr
  (default) = `C:/Cygwin/usr'
  flags = 0x00000008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/var
  (default) = `C:/Cygwin/var'
  flags = 0x00000008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup

a:  fd           N/A    N/A
c:  hd  NTFS    4996Mb  41% CP CS UN PA FC
d:  hd  NTFS    3741Mb   1% CP CS UN PA FC
e:  cd  CDFS       0Mb -2147483548%    CS              Audio CD
g:  net NTFS    2047Mb  61% CP CS UN PA FC     SERV_DISC1
h:  net NTFS    4033Mb  93%          PA        ???
j:  net NTFS    1926Mb  97%          PA        ??
x:  net NTFS    8066Mb  82%          PA        ??
y:  net NTFS    4033Mb  89%          PA        ???

C:\Cygwin\contrib\bin  /opt/gnu/bin  system  textmode
C:\Cygwin\contrib  /contrib  system  textmode
C:\Cygwin\share  /share   system  textmode
C:\Cygwin\bin  /bin     system  textmode
C:\Cygwin\etc  /etc     system  textmode
C:\Cygwin\bin  /opt/Tools/bin  system  textmode
C:\Cygwin\tmp  /tmp     system  textmode
C:\Cygwin\usr  /usr     system  textmode
C:\Cygwin\var  /var     system  textmode
C:    /        system  textmode

Found: C:\Cygwin\bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\Cygwin\bin\cat.exe
Not Found: cpp (good!)
Found: C:\Cygwin\bin\find.exe
Found: C:\Cygwin\bin\gcc.exe
Found: C:\Cygwin\bin\gdb.exe
Found: C:\Cygwin\bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\Cygwin\bin\ls.exe
Found: C:\Cygwin\bin\make.exe
Found: C:\Cygwin\bin\sh.exe

  115k 1999/09/13 C:\Cygwin\bin\cygitcl30.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygitcl30.dll" v0.0 ts=1999/9/14 2:46
   63k 1999/09/13 C:\Cygwin\bin\cygitk30.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygitk30.dll" v0.0 ts=1999/9/14 2:47
  474k 1999/09/13 C:\Cygwin\bin\cygtcl80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=1999/9/14 2:31
   19k 1999/09/13 C:\Cygwin\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
   24k 1999/09/13 C:\Cygwin\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=1999/9/14 2:31
  768k 1999/09/13 C:\Cygwin\bin\cygtk80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=1999/9/14 2:36
  786k 1999/09/13 C:\Cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1999/9/14 3:44
Use -h to see help about each section

* Cygwin 1.0: Error when launching MSDOS bat file from bash on Windows 2000
@ 2000-04-20  6:41 Berche, Guillaume
From: Berche, Guillaume @ 2000-04-20  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hi,

I recently received a machine with Windows 2000 installed on. I installed my copy of the Cygwin CD 1.0 I purchased but I run into the following problem: I can not run an MSDOS bat file from bash when a relative path is specified.

Examples:

> cd /
> mkdir -p test1/test2
> cat > test1/test2/run.bat
REM start of MSDOS test
PAUSE
REM end of  MSDOS test
^C

> cat test1/test2/run.bat
'test2' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
> cd test1
> test2/run.bat
>
> cd test2
> ./run.bat
'.' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

> #However when I specify a complete path it works:
> /test1/test2/run.bat

C:\test1\test2>REM start of MSDOS test

C:\test1\test2>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .

C:\test1\test2>REM end of  MSDOS test

Any idea of the problem. The same problem appears also with beta 20.1. Do you know if this would have been fixed in 20.2?

Thanks for your help,

Guillaume.