* Re: //localdriveletter/ broken?
@ 2000-05-08  4:09 Norbert Schulze
From: Norbert Schulze @ 2000-05-08  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:
> This isn't just a case of having \r\n line endings in your makefile, is it?

You are right it is an \r\n issue. But what has changed in snapshot 2000-May-03?
Can you make it work the old way? I have tried the CYGWIN=nobinmode switch but
it doesn't work. How to change the text/binary mode for //c/ or //cygdrive/c/
type pathes? Or should I contact the eCos group to change all text files to
UNIX style and to change the configuration tool to produce UNIX style text files?

Thanks,
  Norbert

* Re: //localdriveletter/ broken?
@ 2000-05-08  8:30 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-08  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 01:09:15PM +0200, Norbert Schulze wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>> This isn't just a case of having \r\n line endings in your makefile, is it?
>
>You are right it is an \r\n issue. But what has changed in snapshot 2000-May-03?
>Can you make it work the old way? I have tried the CYGWIN=nobinmode switch but
>it doesn't work. How to change the text/binary mode for //c/ or //cygdrive/c/
>type pathes? Or should I contact the eCos group to change all text files to
>UNIX style and to change the configuration tool to produce UNIX style text files?

No idea.  Check the archives for many ways to deal with this problem.

The easiest solution is to just mount the directories in question.

cgf

* Re: //localdriveletter/ broken?
@ 2000-05-07 19:01 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-07 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 08:17:29PM +0200, Norbert Schulze wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>> If there is a *backslash* anywhere in that path, however, then that will
>> no longer work in recent snapshots.  We've made the decision that if you
>> have a backslash in your filename you are intending to use MS-DOS syntax
>> which, of course, does not understand the old //x cygwin convention for
>> referencing a disk drive.
>
>makefile:106: //c/Programme/eCos/packages/pkgconf/rules.mak: No such file or directory
>
>As you can see there is no backslash in the path. The file is there I checked it.
>With the snapshot cygwin 2000-May-02 it works, all later fail. I use win2k.
>Perhaps the ENOSHARE patch from Corinna Vinschen has some side effects on win2k?

I just created a "//c/Programme/eCos/packages/pkgconf/rules.mak" file with these
two lines in it:

all:
	echo hello

and then created a makefile with this in it:

include //c/Programme/eCos/packages/pkgconf/rules.mak

and then did this:

make

Everything worked as expected.

If you can isolate this down to a simple failing test case then running
strace on the make session may be instructive:

strace -ostrace.out make -f whatever

This isn't just a case of having \r\n line endings in your makefile, is it?

Btw, since Corinna uses W2K I don't think this is some kind of strange W2K
bug.  I'm using W2K, too, FWIW.

cgf

* Re: //localdriveletter/ broken?
@ 2000-05-07 11:17 Norbert Schulze
From: Norbert Schulze @ 2000-05-07 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-05-07 10:41   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-07 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 05:56:45AM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
>On Sun, 7 May 2000, Norbert Schulze wrote:
>This was changed in the net release.  One would now use
>/cygdrive/c/Temp to access C:\Temp.

It wasn't changed.  It was deprecated.  //c/foo still works fine for me,
as it should.  /cygdrive/c/directory/file is the preferred method, though.

If there is a *backslash* anywhere in that path, however, then that will
no longer work in recent snapshots.  We've made the decision that if you
have a backslash in your filename you are intending to use MS-DOS syntax
which, of course, does not understand the old //x cygwin convention for
referencing a disk drive.

>> Is //localdriveletter/directory/file a valid syntax for
>> accessing files? The eCos 1.3.1 GUI configuration tool generates
>> makefiles with this type of pathes. But since cygwin
>> snapshot 2000-May-03 this is broken and make throws error
>> 'No such file or directory'.

Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Engineering Manager (and developer)
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company

* Re: //localdriveletter/ broken?
@ 2000-05-07  5:56 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-05-07  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Schulze; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 7 May 2000, Norbert Schulze wrote:

This was changed in the net release. One would now use
/cygdrive/c/Temp to access C:\Temp.

Mo Dejong
Red Hat Inc.

> Is //localdriveletter/directory/file a valid syntax for
> accessing files? The eCos 1.3.1 GUI configuration tool generates
> makefiles with this type of pathes. But since cygwin
> snapshot 2000-May-03 this is broken and make throws error
> 'No such file or directory'.
>
> Norbert

* //localdriveletter/ broken?
@ 2000-05-07  5:52 Norbert Schulze