* SSH and rsync for NT
@ 2000-05-15 11:45 brandon
       [not found] ` <39205FAC.3DAD0EAF@jhuapl.edu>
From: brandon @ 2000-05-15 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

All,
Been having a lot of trouble getting the pieces of my project to work so
I want to outline it here so anyone can tell me if it is possible.

Trying to get an NT 4.0 SP6a server to rsync with a Solaris box using
ssh.  I want this to be an automated job that is happening in a VERY
secure fashion.  I would really rather the session to authenticate with
keypairs rather than keeping  the password in a script.
My questions are 1) Do I need Cygwin?  I think that someone made an NT
port  for SSH that uses cygwin but Cygwin does not have a SSH component.
(Actually have this working with interactive login. Not sure if the
piece I am using is a "Cygwin created" or if it is an extension using
the Cygwin API.  Using keypairs right now requires that I hit return
three times before I am authenticated??!!??)  If Cygwin has a SSH piece,
I would rather use that.  This solution is pretty important so I would
rather use products made by teams rather than individuals.  Sorry in
advance.  I know the contributions individuals make and I appreciate
them.  It would be tough to defend on this one.

2) Rsync on NT.  Similar questions.  Does Cygwin have this or does
anyone on this list have recommendations?

3) SSH2?  Can I get this working on SSH2?  This needs to be automated
solution, preferably scriptable.  Trying to stay away from Winbatch and
the like.

4) Any opinions on how much less secure SSH1 is vs. SSH2.  I have read
that SSH1 is susceptible to authentication spoofing.  Is that the
primary vulnerability?  Any others that I need to consider?

Any advice on these or other products or maybe an alternative solution
would be appreciated.  Some of this may seem like it could be covered by
RTFM but I have found the docs to be really lite for these tools.  I am
an NT guy trying to learn UNIX.

* Re: SSH and rsync for NT
@ 2000-05-15 12:51 ` Charles Wilson
       [not found] ` <39205FAC.3DAD0EAF@jhuapl.edu>
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-05-15 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brandon; +Cc: cygwin

AFAIK, all of the publicly available ports of ssh-1 and ssh-2 for cygwin
require password authentication. This is a restriction imposed by the
windows API.

--Chuck

brandon wrote:

> All,
> Been having a lot of trouble getting the pieces of my project to work so
> I want to outline it here so anyone can tell me if it is possible.
>
> Trying to get an NT 4.0 SP6a server to rsync with a Solaris box using
> ssh.  I want this to be an automated job that is happening in a VERY
> secure fashion.  I would really rather the session to authenticate with
> keypairs rather than keeping  the password in a script.
> My questions are 1) Do I need Cygwin?  I think that someone made an NT
> port  for SSH that uses cygwin but Cygwin does not have a SSH component.
> (Actually have this working with interactive login. Not sure if the
> piece I am using is a "Cygwin created" or if it is an extension using
> the Cygwin API.  Using keypairs right now requires that I hit return
> three times before I am authenticated??!!??)  If Cygwin has a SSH piece,
> I would rather use that.  This solution is pretty important so I would
> rather use products made by teams rather than individuals.  Sorry in
> advance.  I know the contributions individuals make and I appreciate
> them.  It would be tough to defend on this one.
>
> 2) Rsync on NT.  Similar questions.  Does Cygwin have this or does
> anyone on this list have recommendations?
>
> 3) SSH2?  Can I get this working on SSH2?  This needs to be automated
> solution, preferably scriptable.  Trying to stay away from Winbatch and
> the like.
>
> 4) Any opinions on how much less secure SSH1 is vs. SSH2.  I have read
> that SSH1 is susceptible to authentication spoofing.  Is that the
> primary vulnerability?  Any others that I need to consider?
>
> Any advice on these or other products or maybe an alternative solution
> would be appreciated.  Some of this may seem like it could be covered by
> RTFM but I have found the docs to be really lite for these tools.  I am
> an NT guy trying to learn UNIX.
>
> --

* Re: SSH and rsync for NT
       [not found] ` <39205FAC.3DAD0EAF@jhuapl.edu>
@ 2000-05-15 16:58   ` brandon
From: brandon @ 2000-05-15 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Coleman, cygwin

Steve Coleman wrote:

Check out: http://www.lexa.ru:8100/sos/
So I go to ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/ and I get the instructions
in coolview.tar.gz and those instructions say to go to ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/ports/ssh-1.2.26-cygwinb20.tar.gz
and the file does not exist.  There is a file however called
ssh-1.2.26-cygwinb20.tar.bz2.  DL file, copy to my home dir, run "file"
against it, comes back as "data".  What do I do with this file?
Did Google search on ssh-1.2.26-cygwinb20.tar.gz and both hits are cached
copies.  Is this still a current disti or has it been pulled?

> 2) Rsync on NT.  Similar questions.  Does Cygwin have this
or does
> anyone on this list have recommendations?
There is a Cygwin port available but I am not sure where. Others on
this
list will probably be able to give you the url. If not I'll look for
it
and let you know.
I would love to have this if you get a chance. :-)

Thanks,
Brandon

* Re: SSH and rsync for NT
@ 2000-05-16  4:00     ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-05-16  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brandon; +Cc: cygwin

On Monday 15 May 00, brandon writes:
> > > 2) Rsync on NT.  Similar questions.  Does Cygwin have this or does
> > > anyone on this list have recommendations?
> >
> > There is a Cygwin port available but I am not sure where. Others on this
> > list will probably be able to give you the url. If not I'll look for it
> > and let you know.
>
> I would love to have this if you get a chance. :-)

Brandon,

Rsync should build OOTB under cygwin.  I believe that rsync-2.3.2 or
greater is required, because 2.3.1 and before did not handle binary
files correctly.  (I'm currently using a post-2.3.1 cvs snapshot, and
it seems to work fine when invoked under cygwin, though I'm not using
ssh with it.)

least check the archives.  I believe there are problems with ssh and
Solaris in the latest release(s), but I haven't followed the details
closely.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
David

  David Starks-Browning                  | starksb@ebi.ac.uk
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468

* Re: SSH and rsync for NT
@ 2000-05-23 22:39       ` Ville Herva
From: Ville Herva @ 2000-05-23 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: brandon

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 11:59:46AM +0100, you [David Starks-Browning] claimed:

> > > There is a Cygwin port available but I am not sure where. Others on this
> > > list will probably be able to give you the url. If not I'll look for it
> > > and let you know.
> >
> > I would love to have this if you get a chance. :-)
>
> Brandon,
>
> Rsync should build OOTB under cygwin.  I believe that rsync-2.3.2 or
> greater is required, because 2.3.1 and before did not handle binary
> files correctly.  (I'm currently using a post-2.3.1 cvs snapshot, and
> it seems to work fine when invoked under cygwin, though I'm not using
> ssh with it.)

Yes, at least 2.4.2 (2.4.3 is the newest) compiled perfectly out of the
box for me. I did however make some changes to make it behave more
conveniently under windows. See http://v.iki.fi/~vherva/cygwin-rsync/

-- v --

v@iki.fi