* Re: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)
@ 2000-05-26 10:19 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-05-26 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parker, Ron, cygwin

--- "Parker, Ron" <rdparker@butlermfg.com> wrote:
> > No, bash defaults HOME to / and then that get's prepended to
> > the path name
> > after it resolves the tilde character ~ sor ~/myfile bcomes
> > //myfile.  Now the
> > problem with //myfile is that // is translated to \\ and
> > \\myfile as a server
> > doesn't exist.  The time it takes to eventually time out is
> > directly related to
> > the number of domains your associated with * the timeout
> > period * the number of
> > retries.  This is the reason we now have /cygdrive instead of
> > using // to
> > denote an unmounted device/directory.
>
> Which makes me wonder would a patch to cygwin be welcome that did the
> following?
>
> * Make multiple introductory slashes on a path behave as a single
> introductory slash
> * Make paths that begin with name: and contain no backslashes behave as a
> network path
>
> In other words, "///myfile" would translate to "/myfile" and
> "machine:dir/file" or "machine:/dir/file" would map to the Windows path
> \\machine\dir\file.

Grand idea.  I like both of these.  I actually was thinking of bringing this up
on the developers list but you beat me to it.

There is/might be a problem in that your change isn't backward compatible and
although you as a developer have had /cygdrive syntax for sometime.  AFAICR
b20.1 had it or have I just forgotten what it had.

IMO, for the time being bash and sh should be changed to default to /home and
have setup create a /home directory.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

[parent not found: <200005301721.KAA00107@cygnus.com>]
* RE: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)
@ 2000-05-30 10:21 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-05-30 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I would like to thank Chris for finding the reference in the Single UNIX
Spec. where //path is implementation defined, Bob McGowan for his fine job
of summarizing what started this whole thing, and everyone else for their
input.

Also I would like to apologize for setting off a match in a dry field with
this topic.  I did not intend to fill everyone's mailboxes over the long
holiday weekend in the US.  I did originally ask the question because I was
concerned that there might be things I was not considering.

I will not be working up the previously mentioned patch.  While it might
solve some problems it is obvious that it would introduce more problems than
it would cure.

* RE: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)
@ 2000-05-29  6:14 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2000-05-29  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)',
	Parker, Ron, cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

Perhaps, but a great loss of compatibility... :-(

BTW, how did you put server:/tools/bin in you PATH?

Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingéniérie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE
FRANCE
Tel:	+33 (0) 1 47 68 80 80
Fax:	+33 (0) 1 47 88 97 85
e-mail:	dautrevaux@microprocess.com
		b.dautrevaux@usa.net

* RE: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)
@ 2000-05-29  6:07 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2000-05-29  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bob McGowan', Parker, Ron
  Cc: Chris Faylor, cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

My prime concern with this is that would need to also patch make to
understand that
	server:share/path: server2:share2/path2
is a valid dependency rule (although I don't have the slightest idea of how
to do that unambiguously ;-|) ... or this would mean that we no more can use
cygwin for development...

I think I've understood that all this come from the fact that gnu tar accept
server:/path to access a tape drive on a remote system, using the "rmt"
daemon (and with nothing to do with NFS except that it use the same syntax
as the one use by "mount" to mount NFS file systems).

However there is no more places where we can use this syntax on UNIX: try to

	"ls server:/path"
and (at least with all UNIX systems I've tried this) you just get an error
:-)

So as cygwin is an UNIXonWIN32 layer, do NOT add a syntax that may broke
things and that is neither an UNIX syntax, nor a WIN32 syntax.

Just my 2 cents

@ 2000-05-28  8:14 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-05-28  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor, cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com; +Cc: cygwin users

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
-8<-
> I have mixed feelings about this.  I routinely use //sys/share to access
> remote
> shares.  If cygwin had translated sys:share to //sys/share two or three years
> ago then I would be using that mechanism instead.
>
> Unfortunately, this use is embedded in various scripts on my machine.  I
> would
> be surprised if I was the only person who would be affected by this.

Well, we've changed the way other things work without regard to what might
break by doing so, e.g., the Windows path \ deal.  So, what's the sweat about
this change, you just fix what breaks.

Cheers,

=====
---

@ 2000-05-28  0:17 David Bolen
From: David Bolen @ 2000-05-28  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

rmcgowan@veritas.com [rmcgowan@veritas.com] writes:

> The problem, as I understand it, was found when someone tried to do a make
and
> had errors, which were traced back to path names having two leading
slashes,
> which were then being interpreted as UNC paths.  But these were really
local
> path names, created because there was a variable with the value "/" which
was
> prepending to another value that began with a slash, resulting in names
with
> two leading slashes.  UNIX system handle this gracefully in some way,
making
> the "//" act like a single slash.

As I believe Chris mentioned in one of the earlier responses, an important
point is that in general it's only safe to assume Unix systems will treat
"//" as "/" if it occurs in the middle of a path specification, not at the
front (which can be treated in a system-specific manner).  I don't believe
that
all Unix systems handle such names similarly, nor automatically make them
act
like a single slash.

So at the Cygwin DLL level, I'd rather leave the behavior as is - a
convenient
system-defined manner of handling "//" to map to a useful Windows UNC
notation,
without requiring shell quoting.

-- David

 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: db3l@fitlinxx.com  /

[parent not found: <200005262126.RAA23411@acestes-fe0.ultra.net>]
[parent not found: <200005262150.OAA10858@cygnus.com>]
* RE: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)
@ 2000-05-26 14:51 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-05-26 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor, cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

@ 2000-05-26 14:27 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-05-26 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc),

@ 2000-05-26 14:16 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-05-26 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob McGowan; +Cc: cygwin

> The network part is something I cannot comment on in detail though it
> looks OK.  I would wonder what would happen if I had an NFS client
> installed, with some UNIX NFS server file system mounted, would the
> format UNXISERVER:nfs_mount be correctly handled?

I am not sure at this point, but I am willing to look at it if I can get my
hands on a free NFS client for Windows.

[parent not found: <200005262110.RAA09230@acestes-fe0.ultra.net>]
* RE: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)
@ 2000-05-26 14:10 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-05-26 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc), cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

> >In other words, "///myfile" would translate to "/myfile" and
> >"machine:dir/file" or "machine:/dir/file" would map to the
> Windows path
> >\\machine\dir\file.

> I'm assuming by "Make multiple introductory slashes", you're
> excluding the
> case of "//"?

That wasn't exactly what I was thinking.  I used three for emphasis, but
meant that one or more initial slashes would be treated as a single initial
slash.

It is the Friday before a long weekend and I might be completely brain-dead,
but I don't remember a special significance to '//' in UNIX.

[parent not found: <200005261702.KAA22136@athena.veritas.com>]
[parent not found: <200005261701.NAA11863@acestes-fe0.ultra.net>]
* File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)
@ 2000-05-26 10:01 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-05-26 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin