* Vim and Cygnus
@ 2000-05-31  8:28 Shiv Kumar
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Shiv Kumar @ 2000-05-31  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I am using Cygnus tools (cygwin 1.1) and Vim for my development (powerful
combination). My shell is bash and the cygnus root is D:/root.  Cygwin has
created certain mount points for convenience :

     $ mount
     D:\root\bin         /usr/bin            user         binmode
     D:\root\lib         /usr/lib            user         binmode
     D:\root             /                   user         binmode
     $ cat /tmp/x
     Test file
     $vim /tmp/x
     [New File]

Vim searches for a file called D:/tmp/x which does not exist.

Is there any way by which I can make Vim recognize cygwin mount points?

Thanks.
--
shiv
vihs@rocketmail.com

* Re: Vim and Cygnus
@ 2000-05-31  8:38 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-05-31  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:19 AM 5/31/00, Shiv Kumar wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am using Cygnus tools (cygwin 1.1) and Vim for my development (powerful
>combination). My shell is bash and the cygnus root is D:/root.  Cygwin has
>created certain mount points for convenience :
>
>      $ mount
>      D:\root\bin         /usr/bin            user         binmode
>      D:\root\lib         /usr/lib            user         binmode
>      D:\root             /                   user         binmode
>      $ cat /tmp/x
>      Test file
>      $vim /tmp/x
>      [New File]
>
>Vim searches for a file called D:/tmp/x which does not exist.
>
>Is there any way by which I can make Vim recognize cygwin mount points?
>
>Thanks.
>--
>shiv
>vihs@rocketmail.com

Yes.  Build it yourself under Cygwin or get a pre-built version from a site
at the "Related Sites" page of http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin .

The mail list archives are a good place to find answers to questions like
these...

                                        (508) 560-1285 - cell phone

* RE: Vim and Cygnus
@ 2000-05-31 12:45 ` Suhaib Siddiqi
       [not found] ` <3936228F.DAD62046@isnet.sk>
From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 2000-05-31 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

You may be missing a tmp directory on D: drive.  Did you check?

> Thanks.
> --
> shiv
> vihs@rocketmail.com

* Re: Vim and Cygnus
@ 2000-05-31 13:04   ` Jeremy Sheeley
From: Jeremy Sheeley @ 2000-05-31 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib Siddiqi; +Cc: cygwin

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

> [...]

I've found that if vim is installed anywhere but under the cygwin
hierarchy (c:\winnt\system32\ for example), it won't find anything
referenced in the unix way.  Make sure that vim is installed in
/usr/bin/.

-Jeremy

* Re: Vim and Cygnus
       [not found] ` <3936228F.DAD62046@isnet.sk>
@ 2000-06-01  4:12   ` Shiv Kumar
From: Shiv Kumar @ 2000-06-01  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I tried using this script for invoking vim, so that it understands Cygwin paths
:-

#!/bin/sh
echo $* | xargs -n1 cygpath -w | sed -e 's#\\#/#g' | xargs  vim -T win32

Two problems :

  1. It is very slow. That I can understand because so many things are done
     before Vim is actually invoked.

  2. Two, Vim is complaining, 'Vim: Warning : Input is not from a terminal'.
     Also, Vim takes much time to respond to first keystore (for eg, ':' takes
     almost 30 seconds to appear). Subsequent keystores are fine.

Any help?
--
shiv
vihs@rocketmail.com

Stefan Petrucha wrote:

> Shiv Kumar wrote:
> > I am using Cygnus tools (cygwin 1.1) and Vim for my development (powerful
> > combination). My shell is bash and the cygnus root is D:/root.  Cygwin has
> > created certain mount points for convenience :
> >
> >      $ mount
> >      D:\root\bin         /usr/bin            user         binmode
> >      D:\root\lib         /usr/lib            user         binmode
> >      D:\root             /                   user         binmode
> >      $ cat /tmp/x
> >      Test file
> >      $vim /tmp/x
> >      [New File]
> >
> > Vim searches for a file called D:/tmp/x which does not exist.
> >
> > Is there any way by which I can make Vim recognize cygwin mount points?
>
> Seems you have the Win32 version of vim. I use the GUI version (gvim)
> and had this problem too. You can get or compile a cygwin version or as
> me use the cygpath utility to get the native Windows path out of cygwin
> path:
>
> $ vim `cygpath -w /tmp/x`
>
> or simpler with script (named mywim for example) as:
>
> #!/usr/bin/bash
> vim `cygpath -w $1`
>
> and then
>
> $ myvim /tmp/x
>
> I created a little bit more complicated script that changes all file
> parameters to cygwin paths and then calls gvim, but can't find it now.
>
> Stefan Petrucha
> --
> http://www.isnet.sk/petrucha

* Re: Vim and Cygnus
@ 2000-06-01  7:19     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-01  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 04:48:41PM +0530, Shiv Kumar wrote:
>Hi
>
>I tried using this script for invoking vim, so that it understands Cygwin paths
>:-
>
>#!/bin/sh
>echo $* | xargs -n1 cygpath -w | sed -e 's#\\#/#g' | xargs  vim -T win32
>
>Two problems :
>
>  1. It is very slow. That I can understand because so many things are done
>     before Vim is actually invoked.
>
>  2. Two, Vim is complaining, 'Vim: Warning : Input is not from a terminal'.
>     Also, Vim takes much time to respond to first keystore (for eg, ':' takes
>     almost 30 seconds to appear). Subsequent keystores are fine.
>
>Any help?

Yes.  Use a cygwin version of vim.

cgf

* Re: Vim and Cygnus
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <3936228F.DAD62046@isnet.sk>
@ 2000-06-05  2:26 ` raf
From: raf @ 2000-06-05  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shiv Kumar wrote:

> I am using Cygnus tools (cygwin 1.1) and Vim for my development (powerful
> combination). My shell is bash and the cygnus root is D:/root.  Cygwin has
> created certain mount points for convenience :
>
>      $ mount
>      D:\root\bin         /usr/bin            user         binmode
>      D:\root\lib         /usr/lib            user         binmode
>      D:\root             /                   user         binmode
>      $ cat /tmp/x
>      Test file
>      $vim /tmp/x
>      [New File]
>
> Vim searches for a file called D:/tmp/x which does not exist.
>
> Is there any way by which I can make Vim recognize cygwin mount points?

there's a precompiled cygwin gvim binary at http://www.zip.com.au/~raf2/vim/

raf

* Re: Vim and Cygnus
@ 2000-06-05  8:44   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-05  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 07:26:16PM +1000, raf wrote:
>> I am using Cygnus tools (cygwin 1.1) and Vim for my development (powerful
>> combination). My shell is bash and the cygnus root is D:/root.  Cygwin has
>> created certain mount points for convenience :
>>
>>      $ mount
>>      D:\root\bin         /usr/bin            user         binmode
>>      D:\root\lib         /usr/lib            user         binmode
>>      D:\root             /                   user         binmode
>>      $ cat /tmp/x
>>      Test file
>>      $vim /tmp/x
>>      [New File]
>>
>> Vim searches for a file called D:/tmp/x which does not exist.
>>
>> Is there any way by which I can make Vim recognize cygwin mount points?
>
>there's a precompiled cygwin gvim binary at http://www.zip.com.au/~raf2/vim/

Also, as in most software projects, the "Cygnus" web page at:

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/

has a wealth of information about ported programs.

cgf

* Re: Vim and Cygnus
@ 2000-06-05  4:26 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-05  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- raf <raf@comdyn.com.au> wrote:

> there's a precompiled cygwin gvim binary at http://www.zip.com.au/~raf2/vim/

Does this require an X server?

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: Vim and Cygnus
@ 2000-06-01  4:22 jorg.schaible
From: jorg.schaible @ 2000-06-01  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vihs; +Cc: cygwin

I suppose you're using the Win32 verison of VIM as I do. I have defined a function in my .bashrc:

function e
{
    local arg
    for arg in "$@"; do
        <path>/gvim $(cygpath -w "$arg")
    done
}

1. The function is kept and executed in memory and uses the "Cygwin way" to convert the paths (and is therefore also capable of converting mounted directories).
2. Your .inputrc and .bashrc in your $HOME are not in Unix format ==> save both files with LF only.