* dejagnu
@ 2000-06-01  6:46 Stuart Yoder
From: Stuart Yoder @ 2000-06-01  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying to get dejagnu working under the cygwin environment
(cygwin20.1b).  Whenever an .exp script uses 'exec' to run a
shell command (rm.exe or basename.exe for example) the command
is left 'running' after runtest complete.

I see this by running 'ps -ef' when runtest is complete.  Eventually
no new processes can be spawned and I have to kill the bash shell.

Any ideas?

Stuart
syoder@chicorysystems.com

* Re: dejagnu
@ 2000-06-01  7:23 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-01  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 08:51:12AM -0500, Stuart Yoder wrote:
>I'm trying to get dejagnu working under the cygwin environment
>(cygwin20.1b).  Whenever an .exp script uses 'exec' to run a shell
>command (rm.exe or basename.exe for example) the command is left
>'running' after runtest complete.
>
>I see this by running 'ps -ef' when runtest is complete.  Eventually no
>new processes can be spawned and I have to kill the bash shell.
>
>Any ideas?

Don't run cygwin20.1b (whatever that is).  Use the latest net release.
That should at least give you a chance of running with dejagnu.

cgf

* Re: dejagnu
@ 2000-04-26  8:00 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-04-26  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bking; +Cc: cygwin

> Expect appears to want to use DOS shell conventions instead of Bash =
> shell conventions (most notably the path separator and intrinsic shell =
> commands).

Ah, my nightmare returns...

The trick to using expect, at least the version you have, is to make
sure that paths mean the same thing under cygwin as they do under
Windows.  This means that "/" should be mounted as the root of your
current drive, and any other mount points should reflect actual
absolute paths under Windows as well.  It's a hack.

> How can I get dejagnu (or Expect) to run under cygwin/the bash shell?

Try the mount tips.  I did some work on our internal tcl/expect to
have it build both a nt-native dll and cygwin-native lib version, to
avoid these kinds of problems.  I don't know if/when I'll be able to
get that out to the net, but it wasn't a tricky port.  It's an old
version of tcl, so I don't know if it would be worth the effort to
keep maintaining that version.  Anyone want to port the latest
tcl/expect to cygwin?

* dejagnu
@ 2000-04-26  7:18 Benjamin King
From: Benjamin King @ 2000-04-26  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I cannot get dejagnu to work.  I have purchased and
installed the 1.0 version, which includes a compiled version of
Expect.

Expect appears to want to use DOS shell conventions instead of Bash shell
conventions (most notably the path separator and intrinsic shell
commands).

How can I get dejagnu (or Expect) to run under cygwin/the bash shell?

Sincerely
  Benjamin King
  LSI Logic

* Re: DejaGnu
@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` Jonathan Pryor
From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

To get `whoami' to work correctly, you need:

    /etc/passwd

Under NT, you can generate this with cygwin-supplied tools:

    mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd

This doesn't appear to work under 95 (95 doesn't support the
Win32 Security APIs), so I'm not sure what to do about Win9x...
(I copied over the files from my NT box, but I'm not sure what
to do if NT isn't available.)

 - Jon

From: John Fortin @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pryor; +Cc: cygwin

I created one for win98 in /etc/password by using the same format and dummy
data.

userid::uid:gid:name::shell

Probably only userid, uid, and gid are important.  Use the values from an ls -l.

Regards,
John Fortin

Jonathan Pryor wrote:

> To get `whoami' to work correctly, you need:
>
>     /etc/passwd
>
> Under NT, you can generate this with cygwin-supplied tools:
>
>     mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
>
> This doesn't appear to work under 95 (95 doesn't support the
> Win32 Security APIs), so I'm not sure what to do about Win9x...
> (I copied over the files from my NT box, but I'm not sure what
> to do if NT isn't available.)
>
>  - Jon

* Re: DejaGnu
@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adam, cygwin

writes:

> bash-2.02$ whoami
>  whoami: cannot find username for UID 500
>  Can someone who has run DejaGnu on gcc give me some pointers?
As there is no whoami on cygwin, I simply edit that script to remove all the
attempts to find a username, leaving only the fixed "unknown" assignment.  A

@ 1999-04-30 18:32   ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM, adam, cygwin

At 09:04 AM 4/2/99 EST, N8TM@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/2/99 2:08:20 AM Pacific Standard Time, adam@ideogram.com
>writes:
>
>> bash-2.02$ whoami
>>  whoami: cannot find username for UID 500
>>  Can someone who has run DejaGnu on gcc give me some pointers?
>As there is no whoami on cygwin, I simply edit that script to remove all the
>attempts to find a username, leaving only the fixed "unknown" assignment.  A
>more general fix would be for the script to check whether whoami is
>implemented before trying to invoke it.

Actually, I don't think the problem is that there is no "whoami" for Cygwin
(I have one and I didn't build it myself!;-)).  I think Adam's problem is
just a configuration one.  Actually, I forget the details of setting up
whoami to work (even though I guess I did it at one point since it works
fine for me!;-)) but I'm quite sure I remember it being discussed on the list.
One could always check the archives!;-)  In any case, as you pointed out,
"fixing" whoami is not critical to solving Adam's current problem.

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02482-7797               http://www.rfk.com

* DejaGnu
@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` Adam Kao
From: Adam Kao @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying to run DejaGnu on gcc on my Windows NT box.  First it
complained about not being able to find init.tcl which I fixed by
renaming the src/tcl directory to src/tcl8.0.  Now when I type
runtest --tool gcc
in the src/gcc/testsuite directory it does this:
bash-2.02$ runtest --tool gcc
/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/whoami.exe: cannot find username for UID 500
    while executing
"exec whoami"
    (file "/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/share/dejagnu/runtest.exp" line 524)
bash-2.02$ whoami
whoami: cannot find username for UID 500
Can someone who has run DejaGnu on gcc give me some pointers?

Thanks,
Adam

* Re: DejaGnu
@ 1999-04-02  8:50 ` John Fortin
From: John Fortin @ 1999-04-02  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pryor; +Cc: cygwin

Jonathan Pryor wrote:

> To get `whoami' to work correctly, you need:
>
>     /etc/passwd
>
> Under NT, you can generate this with cygwin-supplied tools:
>
>     mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
>
> This doesn't appear to work under 95 (95 doesn't support the
> Win32 Security APIs), so I'm not sure what to do about Win9x...
> (I copied over the files from my NT box, but I'm not sure what
> to do if NT isn't available.)
>
>  - Jon

* Re: DejaGnu
@ 1999-04-02  7:18 Jonathan Pryor