* Re: inetutils questions
@ 2000-06-01  5:55 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-01  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Richard Stanton <stanton@Haas.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
> I just installed the latest inetutils, and they seem mainly to be running.
> Just a couple of questions:
>
> 1) telnetd: This works using sh as the shell. However, I'd like to use 4nt
> as the shell, rather than /bin/sh. I edited passwd, and replaced "/bin/sh"
> with "/cygdrive/c/4nt/4nt.exe". Now, however, when I telnet to my machine,
> I'm immediately logged off, as in:
>
> You are successfully logged in to this ftp server!!!
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> How can I get 4nt.exe to be used as the login shell?

Purchase the source for 4nt and rebuild it as a Cygwin Binary. ;^)  That *is
the only way* it is going to work.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* RE: inetutils questions
@ 2000-06-01  9:05 Christopher Jones
From: Christopher Jones @ 2000-06-01  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Title: RE: inetutils questions

> Just as a wild guess, and given the fact that this seems to
> be the answer
> to every other problem reported on this mailing list -- EMACS
> is probably
> adding a ^M (or \r) before the end of the lines in
> /etc/passwd.  mkpasswd
> is probably not doing this.

Emacs on windows (not cygwin version) will open unix files in unix mode and dos files in dos mode.  If it is a new file I think it defaults to dos mode.  If you want to force a particular mode for your next command, use:

C-x <RET> c emacs-mule-unix

or emacs-mule-dos
or emacs-mule-mac

Then open the file.  A '\' in the status bar is dos mode, and (Unix) is unix mode of course.

Brian

* Re: inetutils questions
@ 2000-05-31 17:33 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-31 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 05:26:39PM -0700, Richard Stanton wrote:
>I just installed the latest inetutils, and they seem mainly to be running.
>Just a couple of questions:
>
>1) telnetd: This works using sh as the shell. However, I'd like to use 4nt
>as the shell, rather than /bin/sh. I edited passwd, and replaced "/bin/sh"
>with "/cygdrive/c/4nt/4nt.exe". Now, however, when I telnet to my machine,
>I'm immediately logged off, as in:
>
>You are successfully logged in to this ftp server!!!
>Connection closed by foreign host.
>
>How can I get 4nt.exe to be used as the login shell?

I don't think it can be done.  I believe that 4nt.exe will be very confused
by Cygwin's handling of ptys -- which are really just Windows pipes.

>Followon - after manually editing passwd again using EMACS, putting /bin/sh
>back again, it still doesn't work until I run mkpasswd again. What's going
>on here?

Just as a wild guess, and given the fact that this seems to be the answer
to every other problem reported on this mailing list -- EMACS is probably
adding a ^M (or \r) before the end of the lines in /etc/passwd.  mkpasswd
is probably not doing this.

cgf

* inetutils questions
@ 2000-05-31 17:26 Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 2000-05-31 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just installed the latest inetutils, and they seem mainly to be running.
Just a couple of questions:

1) telnetd: This works using sh as the shell. However, I'd like to use 4nt
as the shell, rather than /bin/sh. I edited passwd, and replaced "/bin/sh"
with "/cygdrive/c/4nt/4nt.exe". Now, however, when I telnet to my machine,
I'm immediately logged off, as in:

You are successfully logged in to this ftp server!!!
Connection closed by foreign host.

How can I get 4nt.exe to be used as the login shell?

Followon - after manually editing passwd again using EMACS, putting /bin/sh
back again, it still doesn't work until I run mkpasswd again. What's going
on here?

2) ftpd: I can log in, and change directories fine, but when I type "dir" or
"ls", nothing actually appears on the screen. For example,

ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp>

When I type "set" at a command prompt, I see

CYGWIN=binmode tty ntsec

3) talk: Always gives the following error:

[c:\]talk user@machine
Error opening terminal: cygwin.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,