* Re: Reinstallation problems
@ 2000-06-01  6:20 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-01  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RICHARD_ELMQUIST, cygwin

--- RICHARD_ELMQUIST@udlp.com wrote:
> I'm trying to re-install cygwin 1.1.1 on my NT system, but am getting the
> following message:
>     Skipped download of cygwin-1.1.1.tar.gz
>     Skipped extraction of cygwin-1.1.1.tar.gz since newer version is
> installed
>
> Setup then creates the shortcuts in the Start/Program menu etc. but does not
> do
> anything else.
>
> I ran cygwin uninstall and remove the cygwin files and directories.
>
> What am I doing wrong?!

A newer version of setup was just released to fix this problem.  See the
archives for the announcment and the details.  Pointers to the archives can be
found at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/ .

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: reinstallation problems
@ 2009-10-03 14:02       ` Frank Kim
From: Frank Kim @ 2009-10-03 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Frank
http://lovenorthkorea.org/
http://kimplicity.com/fkim/blog/
http://betweengo.com/

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Dave Korn
<dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Frank Kim wrote:
>
>> Becoming suspicious of my favorite download site,
>> mirrors.xmission.com, I decided I'd try a different site
>> mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca.  Reinistalling with this site caused _no_
>> problems.  I'm back up and running.
>>
>> Anyone know what could be wrong with the mirrors.xmission.com.  I used
>> to always use it because it was the fastest.
>
>  Mirrors are regularly checked by an automated script on cygwin.com and
> removed from the list if found not up-to-date or otherwise inaccurate; it was
> probably nothing to do with the mirror that caused your postinstall scripts to
> fail.  (Maybe a side effect of the ipssvc bloda?)
>
>    cheers,
>      DaveK

It might have been a side effect.  Not sure why ipssvc would cause an
installation problem but you never know.  Also when I was installing
from xmission.com I noticed that openssh was missing and it was never
missing before.

Anyway I guess I'll try xmission.com again another time when I'm
feeling more courageous. :-)

Thanks,
Frank

* Re: reinstallation problems
@ 2009-10-03 13:52     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-10-03 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2009-10-03 13:30   ` Frank Kim
From: Frank Kim @ 2009-10-03 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
<reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On 10/02/2009 10:14 AM, Frank Kim wrote:
>>
>> Because of problems mentioned previously I uninstalled cygwin
>> following all the instructions at
>> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all.
>>
>> However when I installed again and started up the bash shell I did not
>> get my usual prompt, i.e. the typical Cygwin prompt.  Instead I got
>> this prompt:
>>
>> bash-3.2$
>>
>> Also I was started in /usr/bin.
>>
>> No /home directory was created.  No skeleton files were created.
>>
>> I thought Cygwin automatically does this the first time you start up.
>> How come it didn't do it?  What steps do I manually have to do?
>
> (Fingers to temples, eyes closed) Quite please!  I need absolute silence
> while I read your mind and determine your configuration.
>
> '/etc/passwd' is wrong, for one thing.  Check 'setup.log.full' in '/var/log'
> or
> the directory you ran 'setup.exe' from (your mind is cloudy - I can't see
> this clearly).  Your post-install scripts didn't run successfully.  You can
> try to
> re-run them by hand but they will likely complain again until you determine
> the source of the problem, unless it was just a question of timing.

Thanks Larry.  You're funny. :-)

I did what you suggested and checked the logs and there were no
errors.  I tried to rerun the post-install scripts but I saw some
syntax errors and wasn't sure if it was because the scripts were
changed when they became .done files.

Becoming suspicious of my favorite download site,
mirrors.xmission.com, I decided I'd try a different site
mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca.  Reinistalling with this site caused _no_
problems.  I'm back up and running.

Anyone know what could be wrong with the mirrors.xmission.com.  I used
to always use it because it was the fastest.

I'm happy, today has been a productive morning. :-)

* Re: reinstallation problems
@ 2009-10-02 21:54 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-10-02 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/02/2009 10:14 AM, Frank Kim wrote:
> Because of problems mentioned previously I uninstalled cygwin
> following all the instructions at
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all.
>
> However when I installed again and started up the bash shell I did not
> get my usual prompt, i.e. the typical Cygwin prompt.  Instead I got
> this prompt:
>
> bash-3.2$
>
> Also I was started in /usr/bin.
>
> No /home directory was created.  No skeleton files were created.
>
> I thought Cygwin automatically does this the first time you start up.
> How come it didn't do it?  What steps do I manually have to do?

(Fingers to temples, eyes closed) Quite please!  I need absolute silence
while I read your mind and determine your configuration.

'/etc/passwd' is wrong, for one thing.  Check 'setup.log.full' in '/var/log' or
the directory you ran 'setup.exe' from (your mind is cloudy - I can't see
this clearly).  Your post-install scripts didn't run successfully.  You can
try to
re-run them by hand but they will likely complain again until you determine
the source of the problem, unless it was just a question of timing.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

* reinstallation problems
@ 2009-10-02 14:14 Frank Kim
From: Frank Kim @ 2009-10-02 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Because of problems mentioned previously I uninstalled cygwin
following all the instructions at
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all.

However when I installed again and started up the bash shell I did not
get my usual prompt, i.e. the typical Cygwin prompt.  Instead I got
this prompt:

bash-3.2$

Also I was started in /usr/bin.

No /home directory was created.  No skeleton files were created.

I thought Cygwin automatically does this the first time you start up.
How come it didn't do it?  What steps do I manually have to do?

* Reinstallation problems
@ 2000-06-01  6:16 RICHARD_ELMQUIST