* Re: text / binary mounts (sorry)
       [not found] <200006021734.KAA06876@cygnus.com>
@ 2000-06-02 11:28 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-02 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 12:30:31PM -0500, Parker, Ron wrote:
>> files to be
>> > for Win9x or in
>> > >

>> > Are you sure of this, Ron?  AFAIK CYGWIN=binmode only affects
>> > the pipes and
>> > redirection and not file I/O.  BTW CYGWIN=binmode is the default.
>>
>> ITIWTW, I thought it worked that way, however a quick test
>> shows I am wrong.  I would have sworn CYGWIN=binmode used to
>> apply to all file opens.
>>
>> Sorry for the confusion.
>
>So is there anyway to have 'echo Hello>//h/junk' produce a 6-byte file?

Yes.  You use the mount command that was mentioned previously in this thread.

cgf

* RE: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-05  9:41 David Bolen
From: David Bolen @ 2000-06-05  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Chris Faylor [cgf@cygnus.com]:

> Ok.  I simplified too much.  To be precise, if a cygwin application is
> invoked from a non-cygwin application then CYGWIN=binmode controls the
> text mode endings of stdin/stdout/stderr.

Right, but the point I had hoped to help clarify with my earlier comments,
since it bit me when first moving to the net release, is that the default
for stdin/stdout/stderr in the net release changed (versus b20.1) to
textmode and not binmode.  So if you don't have CYGWIN set to anything, the
standard handles are textmode in the net releases.

Which is ok - just something I thought helpful to note in the previous
thread about CYGWIN.

-- David

 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: db3l@fitlinxx.com  /

* Re: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-05  8:48       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-05  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 09:41:38AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
>Since we are discussing the mount command...
>
>Both,
>
>    mount --help
>
>and
>
>    http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#MOUNT
>
>indicate that the '--change-cygdrive-prefix' option can be used with
>the '-s' option.  I assume that this would change the drive prefix on
>a system-wide instead of just a user-wide basis.
>
>Unfortunately, when I try
>
>    mount -b -s --change-cygdrive-prefix /mnt
>
>and look in the registry.  I see that
>
>    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
>
>changes and that
>
>    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
>
>remains unchanged.
>
>Is this a documentation or programming bug?

Dunno.  How about checking out the sources and finding out?

cgf
(Who wonders if this thread will ever die)

* Re: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-05  6:41     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2000-06-05  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Since we are discussing the mount command...

Both,

    mount --help

and

    http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#MOUNT

indicate that the '--change-cygdrive-prefix' option can be used with
the '-s' option.  I assume that this would change the drive prefix on
a system-wide instead of just a user-wide basis.

Unfortunately, when I try

    mount -b -s --change-cygdrive-prefix /mnt

and look in the registry.  I see that

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2

changes and that

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2

remains unchanged.

Is this a documentation or programming bug?

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

* Re: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02 19:50 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-02 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 10:45:00PM -0400, David Bolen wrote:
>Chris Faylor [cgf@cygnus.com] writes:
>
>> It only affects stdin/stdout behavior when the program is run from the
>> Windows command shell.
>
>Well, it also happens for me when a process is started up from an NT service
>(that is not a Cygwin service) which has no bearing on a command shell, or
>actually any NT application (even if while the application was started from
>a shell, the process it is creating will have no interaction with that
>shell)  (That might be synonymous with what you mean by "command shell" I'm
>not sure).

Ok.  I simplified too much.  To be precise, if a cygwin application is
invoked from a non-cygwin application then CYGWIN=binmode controls the
text mode endings of stdin/stdout/stderr.

This is to allow some measure of control over what shows up in the file since
there is no way for cygwin to know if stdout refers to a file on a "binmode"
directory or not when it is started from an application that doesn't honor
cygwin's mount tables.

cgf

* RE: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02 19:45 David Bolen
From: David Bolen @ 2000-06-02 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Chris Faylor [cgf@cygnus.com] writes:

> It only affects stdin/stdout behavior when the program is run from the
> Windows command shell.

Well, it also happens for me when a process is started up from an NT service
(that is not a Cygwin service) which has no bearing on a command shell, or
actually any NT application (even if while the application was started from
a shell, the process it is creating will have no interaction with that
shell)  (That might be synonymous with what you mean by "command shell" I'm
not sure).

> fork() is a cygwin function which produces an additional copy of a running
> program.  That means that the child has a a cygwin parent and so stdin
should
> be in the same state in the child as in the parent.

Oops, I think I mis-stated - I meant to say is started as a child process
(but my Unix-based brain optimized that phrase with "fork()").  I haven't
tested all cases, but the actual problems I was running into did involve a
parent process (not interactive) that was not Cygwin-based.

I do believe you are correct in the behavior under fork() which was actually
part of the confusing part when I tried to diagnose this originally (which
led to my first note to this list which led off onto a tangent on open
source :-)) - I had thought it was the internally forked child but it was
actually the original stdin/stdout .

       [not found] <200006022142.OAA26463@cygnus.com>
@ 2000-06-02 19:33 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-02 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 04:41:27PM -0500, Parker, Ron wrote:
>> Since the //h usage is deprecated, I'm not going to worry too
>> much about this.
>
>The larger point, IMHO, is that, 'echo Hello>//machine/sharename/filename'
>also produces 7 bytes. This leads me to the question of, "How does one
>default UNC file access to binary mode?"  I know it works if the UNC path is
>mounted and you access it via the mount point, but what should happen when
>going directly to the UNC path?

Right now, the same thing happens as has happened for the last three or
four years with cygwin.  It defaults to text mode.

cgf

* Re: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02 19:33 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-02 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 05:35:29PM -0400, David Bolen wrote:
>Earnie Boyd [earnie_boyd@yahoo.com] writes:
>>Are you sure of this, Ron?  AFAIK CYGWIN=binmode only affects the pipes
>>and redirection and not file I/O.  BTW CYGWIN=binmode is the default.
>
>One minor caveat with respect to "default" - the default behavior for
>the stdin/stdout handles changed from b20.1 to the net releases,
>dependent on whether you explicitly had the environment variable or
>not.  If you put CYGWIN=binmode in your environment it also affects
>stdin/stdout default behavior, but if you leave the variable out they
>will default to text mode and not binary.

It only affects stdin/stdout behavior when the program is run from the
Windows command shell.

>It's my understanding this was done for some issues with interactive
>tool use, but unfortunately it also comes into play when utilities
>fork() a copy of themselves to process data on stdin/stdout (I ran into
>this with the rsync utility).

I'm not sure how this could be.  Reading the code, I see this line right
before the part that sets the stdin/stdout based on CYGWIN=binmode.

  if (!parent_alive && NOTSTATE(myself, PID_CYGPARENT))

@ 2000-06-02 14:53   ` Norman Vine
From: Norman Vine @ 2000-06-02 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am using this mount table on Win98
Cygwin V1.1
with cygwin-inst-20000525.tar.gz overlaid

C:\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  user    binmode
C:\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  user    binmode
C:\cygwin  /        user    binmode
c:    /c       user    textmode
d:    /d       user    textmode
e:    /e       user    textmode
f:    /f       user    textmode

While compiling gcc complained about an
obtuse error in <stdlib.h>
which I knew was not the problem

With much head pounding I discovered that a
previously included file had DOS line endings.

locally supplied
/usr/local/include/GL/gl.h

On a hunch, applying a Dos2Unix filter sent
gcc merrily on it's way.

My question is.
Are we going to have to ensure that all included  files have
Unix style line endings ??

BTW
Many thanks to all involved with the V1.1 release
Despite it's <new quirks> it seems to be
a much improved enviroment :-))

Norman Vine

* RE: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02 14:42 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-06-02 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-06-02 14:36 David Bolen
From: David Bolen @ 2000-06-02 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Earnie Boyd [earnie_boyd@yahoo.com] writes:

> Are you sure of this, Ron?  AFAIK CYGWIN=binmode only affects the pipes
and
> redirection and not file I/O.  BTW CYGWIN=binmode is the default.

One minor caveat with respect to "default" - the default behavior for the
stdin/stdout handles changed from b20.1 to the net releases, dependent on
whether you explicitly had the environment variable or not.  If you put
CYGWIN=binmode in your environment it also affects stdin/stdout default
behavior, but if you leave the variable out they will default to text mode
and not binary.

It's my understanding this was done for some issues with interactive tool
use, but unfortunately it also comes into play when utilities fork() a copy
of themselves to process data on stdin/stdout (I ran into this with the
rsync utility).

The precise "better" default behavior is arguable, but at a minimum it's
just something to be aware of if you are running without CYGWIN=binmode in
your environment.

       [not found] <200006022116.OAA23714@cygnus.com>
@ 2000-06-02 14:29 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-02 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 04:14:29PM -0500, Parker, Ron wrote:
>> >So is there anyway to have 'echo Hello>//h/junk' produce a
>> 6-byte file?
>>
>> Yes.  You use the mount command that was mentioned previously
>> in this thread.
>
>If you are referring to 'mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive', I
>tested it before I sent the original email and again after I recieved your
>response.  Even after doing so,
>	echo Hello>/cygdrive/h/junk	yields 6 bytes
>	echo Hello>//h/junk		yields 7 bytes
>
>If, on the other hand, you are referring to something like 'mount -b H:\\
>//h', it returns without error, nothing shows up in the output from 'mount',
>and I still get a 7 byte file.
>
>I even tried 'mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /' to no avail and 'mount -b
>--change-cygdrive-prefix /' gave a "mount failed: Invalid argument" message.
>
>I may just be thick-headed but I didn't get what mount command you were
>referring to.

I was referring to using the --change-cygdrive-prefix option.  I guess I thought
that it would affect the //h usage too.  But apparently it doesn't.

Since the //h usage is deprecated, I'm not going to worry too much about this.

I don't think that you want to change your cygdrive prefix to /.  That is really
not going to do what you want, I suspect.

cgf

* RE: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02 14:26 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-06-02 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I even tried 'mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /' to no
> avail and 'mount -b
> --change-cygdrive-prefix /' gave a "mount failed: Invalid
                           ^
                     oops: //
> argument" message.

* RE: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02 14:16 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-06-02 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-06-02 14:05           ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-02 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 04:03:48PM -0500, Jeremy Sheeley wrote:

>Chris Faylor wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 11:50:26AM -0700, Bob McGowan wrote:
>> >Is there any way to determine the current status of the
>> >cygdrive-prefix?  I don't see anything in the normal mount output (not
>> >that I would expect to), but there does not appear to be any way to
>> >check this, short of checking the registry.
>>
>> There is no way to check this via the mount command currently, no.
>> The only method is the registry.
>
>Instead of going into the registry, you could try:
>
>cygpath -u c:
>
>which should give you /cygdrive-prefix/c
>
>I'm probably missing something (I'm still a newbie at cygwin).

That won't tell you if /cygdrive defaults to text or binary, though.

cgf

* Re: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02 14:03         ` Jeremy Sheeley
From: Jeremy Sheeley @ 2000-06-02 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 11:50:26AM -0700, Bob McGowan wrote:
> >Is there any way to determine the current status of the
> >cygdrive-prefix?  I don't see anything in the normal mount output (not
> >that I would expect to), but there does not appear to be any way to
> >check this, short of checking the registry.
>
> There is no way to check this via the mount command currently, no.
> The only method is the registry.

Instead of going into the registry, you could try:

cygpath -u c:

which should give you /cygdrive-prefix/c

I'm probably missing something (I'm still a newbie at cygwin).

-Jeremy

* Re: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02 13:16       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-02 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-06-02 11:50     ` Bob McGowan
From: Bob McGowan @ 2000-06-02 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is there any way to determine the current status of the
cygdrive-prefix?  I don't see anything in the normal mount output (not
that I would expect to), but there does not appear to be any way to
check this, short of checking the registry.

Thanks.

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 07:59:15PM +0400, Egor Duda wrote:
> >Friday, 02 June, 2000 Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> >EB> The command `mount --help' might have helped in this instance.
> >
> >EB> mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive
> >
> >btw,  i think this should go to the FAQ. I've stumbled over this issue
> >myself some time ago :) Since i all my explicit mounts are binary, and
> >CYGWIN=binmode,  i've got a nice surprise when i added new disk (which
> >mounts  as  /cygdrive/h)  and immediately got all those nice text-mode
> >features. it take me to look at the sources to find out what happened.
>
> I'm always thrilled when people inspect the sources but this is fairly
> well documented in the Cygwin user's guide.
>
> I'll see about getting it in the FAQ, though.
>
> cgf
>
> --

Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer
VERITAS Software
rmcgowan@veritas.com

* Re: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02 11:26   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-02 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-06-02 10:33 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-06-02 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parker, Ron, earnie_boyd, Matthew Lowther,
	'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 2000-06-02 10:26 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-06-02 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, Parker, Ron, Matthew Lowther,

@ 2000-06-02 10:13 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-02 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parker, Ron, Matthew Lowther, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

--- "Parker, Ron" <rdparker@butlermfg.com> wrote:
> > BUT is there anything I can setup to make all drives act as
> > binary mounts
> > automatically.
> > The problem is that if a drive isn't mounted at all, then I
> > get dos line
> > feeds at the end of each line.
>
> set CYGWIN=binmode causes even unmounted directories and files to be
> accessed in binary mode.  You can set this in autoexec.bat for Win9x or in
> the System Control Panel applet for NT/2000.

Are you sure of this, Ron?  AFAIK CYGWIN=binmode only affects the pipes and
redirection and not file I/O.  BTW CYGWIN=binmode is the default.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* RE: text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02 10:01 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-06-02 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lowther, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 2000-06-02  6:35 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-02  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lowther, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

--- Matthew Lowther <m.lowther@standard-platforms.co.uk> wrote:

> Hullo,
> 	I use cygwin (snapshot 05252000) , mainly to access cvs and make, so
> I can build the same source on NT and unix.
>
> When I check things out in CVS I don't want lots of Dos Line Feeds being
> added.
> This is OK, so long as I mount the relevant drive as a binary mount.
>
> BUT is there anything I can setup to make all drives act as binary mounts
> automatically.
> The problem is that if a drive isn't mounted at all, then I get dos line
> feeds at the end of each line.  So people not accustomed to using bash use
> cvs and unknowingly add dos line feeds to all the source files, this gets
> repeated .... and we end up with lots and lots of horrible dos line feed
> characters in all the source.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help I may get, I'm scared to send this message
> because I know there's been alot of mail about CR/LF issues, but I'm
> desperatley hoping I can stop these ^M's infiltrating our source code.
>
> 	Maff.
>
> P.S. Problem description.
>
> If I run bash and say change to the t drive
> cd t:/
> echo "bob" >fred
> vi fred
> ->produces
> bob^M
> ie. with a dos line feed thing.
>
> If I do mount -b t: /t
> and do the above, it produces
> bob
> ie. no dos line feed.
>
> But can I make echo "bob" > fred produce a file fred with no dos line feed
> without having to make sure I've done the mount?
>
> Attached is the cygcheck thing
> .. <<cygcheck.out>>
>

> --
> Matthew Lowther                   Direct Dial: +44 (0)1252 401033
> Software Consultant               Switchboard: +44 (0)1252 401000
> Standard Platforms Limited        Fax        : +44 (0)1252 336934
> http://www.standard-platforms.co.uk        mailto:maff@bssl.co.uk
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream name=cygcheck.out
> --

* text / binary mounts (sorry)
@ 2000-06-02  1:01 Matthew Lowther
From: Matthew Lowther @ 2000-06-02  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)