* Re: ld -r Unsupported PEI arch pe-i386
@ 2000-07-18 16:49 Suhaib Siddiqi
From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 2000-07-18 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: dj

DJ,

Thanks.  Your patch for ld, fixed the ld -r problem.
Thanks a lot.  Do you plan to update the binutils
distribution archive, one other person reported same
problem, whose e-mail I forwarded to list yesterday.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Suhaib

* RE: binutils prerelease available for testing (feedback needed)
@ 2000-07-19  8:33 Fifer, Eric
From: Fifer, Eric @ 2000-07-19  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sources.redhat.com'

Chris Faylor wrote:
>I have done zero testing with this so I would really appreciate
>feedback on whether this solves the various dllwrap and ld problems
>that people have noticed.

The new dllwrap works.

However, now I'm having some mysterious problem with a Perl
module (Win32::OLE) which is C++ and uses -fvtable-thunks.
It definitely works with binutils-20000625, so I'll try to
isolate the problem ...

Regards,

Eric Fifer

* Re: binutils prerelease available for testing (feedback needed)
@ 2000-07-20  2:42 Danny Smith
From: Danny Smith @ 2000-07-20  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi
You may be ahead of me on this but...
I have experienced similar problems as report by Eric Fifer and Charles
Wilson using binutils-000718, with access violations linking against C
dlls with data exports or with C++ dlls.

But, rebuilding binutils-000718 after reverting the changes made to
gas/config/obj_coff.c
( http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2000-07/msg00226.html )  back to
binutils-000717 version, I can successfully build and link against dlls,
using either dllwrap or gcc -shared.  This works also with -mno-cygwin.
I have tested linking against implib as well as directly aginst dll
without implib.  Both work, for C and C++, and dll data is exported
correctly.   Also with standalone MingW.

Hope this helps.

Regards

* RE: binutils prerelease available for testing (feedback needed)
@ 2000-07-20 10:47 Fifer, Eric
From: Fifer, Eric @ 2000-07-20 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Danny Smith wrote:
>But, rebuilding binutils-000718 after reverting the changes made to
>gas/config/obj_coff.c
>( http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2000-07/msg00226.html )  back to
>binutils-000717 version, I can successfully build and link against dlls,
>using either dllwrap or gcc -shared.

Yes, rebuilding binutils-20000718-1 with the patch you mention
reversed out, clears up the problems I'm seeing.

Thanks,

Eric Fifer

[parent not found: <39773077.28196.4649D@localhost>]
* RE: binutils prerelease available for testing (feedback needed)]
@ 2000-07-20 19:27 Danny Smith
From: Danny Smith @ 2000-07-20 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: snowball3, cygwin

>From: "Mark E." <snowball3@bigfoot.com>
>To: cygwin@sources.redhat.com
>Subject: RE: binutils prerelease available for testing (feedback needed)]
>Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:54:57 -0400
>
>Hi guys,
>The patch causing your Binutils problem has been reverted. Sorry about the
>trouble.
>
> > 2000-07-20  DJ Delorie  <dj@redhat.com>
> >
> > 	* config/obj-coff.c (obj_frob_symbol): revert previous change,
> > 	it breaks linking against DLLs.
>
>Could you guys try this one out and verify it causes you guys no problems:

This causes no problems in my dll test cases [Mumit's dllhelpers-0.2.5,
(c,c++, and g77) with and w/o -mnocygwin; odbc++2.2pre3; stlport4.0]

Thanks
Danny

* Re: binutils prerelease available for testing (feedback needed)
@ 2000-07-20 23:27 Danny Smith
From: Danny Smith @ 2000-07-20 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cwilson, cygwin

>From: Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
>To: Danny Smith <danny_r_smith@hotmail.com>, cygwin@sources.redhat.com
>Subject: Re: binutils prerelease available for testing (feedback needed)
>Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:57:46 -0400
>
>Okay, it's confirmed -- I've just built cvs 20000721 + Mark E's patch.
>Same behavior as before, no worse (no better).
>
>--Chuck
> > CASE 3: 'USE_GLOBAL_ARRAYS' #define'd (dll exports png_libpng_ver as a
> > DATA item)
> > I can link using the import lib. Executable stackdumps.
> >
> > Danny, when you ran your tests, did your DLL export any DATA items?

Yes, all my test cases (except Fortran) exported DATA.  The C++ code
exported classes and instances of these class. Some of the classes had
static data members that were exported. Dlls were built using
__declspec(dllexport) in code.    All imports were marked in client code
using __declspec(dllimport) attribute.

Regards Danny

* RE: binutils prerelease available for testing (feedback needed)]
@ 2000-07-21  5:17 Fifer, Eric
From: Fifer, Eric @ 2000-07-21  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark E.', cygwin

Mark E. wrote:
>The patch causing your Binutils problem has been reverted. Sorry about the
>trouble.
>
>> 2000-07-20  DJ Delorie  <dj@redhat.com>
>>
>> 	* config/obj-coff.c (obj_frob_symbol): revert previous change,
>> 	it breaks linking against DLLs.
>
>Could you guys try this one out and verify it causes you guys no problems:
> [...]

I tried out your patch, and everything is still okay.

Thanks,

Eric Fifer