* Re: instalation in other than c:\
@ 2000-07-25  5:41 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-07-25  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Nord, cygwin

Are we to assume that you already had Cygwin installed into the root of C:?
Can you provide the output of `cygcheck -s -v -r' pasted in a mail?

Cheers,
Earnie.

@ 2000-07-25  5:57 ` James Nord
From: James Nord @ 2000-07-25  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: cygwin

I have in the past had cygwin 20.1 installed (in c:\) but the machine
has gone through a complete clean installation of everything including
formatting the hard drives - so you could take this as a clean install.

Attached is the output of cygcheck -s -v -r run from a cmd shell.

/James

--
Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet.
	Douglas Adams

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Tue Jul 25 14:53:34 2000

WinNT Ver 5.0 build 2195

Path:	/WINNT/system32
	/WINNT
	/WINNT/System32/Wbem
	/progra~1/utils
	/cygwin/bin

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

HOME = `/cygdrive/p'
PWD = `/cygdrive/p'

!EXITCODE = `00000000'
!P: = `P:\'
ALLUSERSPROFILE = `C:\Documents and Settings\All Users'
APPDATA = `C:\Documents and Settings\teilo\Application Data'
CLASSPATH = `C:\Program Files\Exceed'
COMMONPROGRAMFILES = `C:\Program Files\Common Files'
COMPUTERNAME = `BAMSE'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe'
HOMEDRIVE = `P:'
HOMEPATH = `\'
HOMESHARE = `\\cdt-lisa\teilo'
HOSTNAME = `BAMSE'
HOSTTYPE = `i586'
LOGONSERVER = `\\BAMSE'
MACHTYPE = `i586-pc-cygwin'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `1'
OS2LIBPATH = `C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;'
OS = `Windows_NT'
OSTYPE = `cygwin'
PATHEXT = `.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `6'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `0801'
PROGRAMFILES = `C:\Program Files'
PROMPT = `$P$G'
SHELL = `/bin/sh'
SHLVL = `1'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `C:'
SYSTEMROOT = `C:\WINNT'
TEMP = `C:\DOCUME~1\teilo\LOCALS~1\Temp'
TERM = `cygwin'
TMP = `C:\DOCUME~1\teilo\LOCALS~1\Temp'
USERDOMAIN = `BAMSE'
USERNAME = `teilo'
USERPROFILE = `C:\Documents and Settings\teilo'
WINDIR = `C:\WINNT'
_ = `/cygwin/bin/cygcheck'
TZ = `WEST-1WEDT-2,M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/3'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `C:'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\Cygnus Solutions
  (default) = (unsupported type)

a:  fd           N/A    N/A
c:  hd  NTFS    6612Mb  35% CP CS UN PA FC     WIN 2000
d:  hd  FAT32  24587Mb  56% CP    UN           SHARED
e:  cd  CDFS       0Mb -2147483548%    CS              Audio CD
f:  cd           N/A    N/A
m:  net NTFS    8164Mb  98% CP CS    PA        mp3
p:  net NTFS   133092Mb  67% CP CS    PA        teilo
t:  net NTFS    2732Mb  77%          PA        ??
w:  net NTFS   66544Mb  72% CP CS    PA        windows

C:    /        user    textmode

Found: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\cat.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\cpp.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\find.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\gcc.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\gdb.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\make.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe

   83k 2000/06/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygitcl30.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygitcl30.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/6/11 5:34
   35k 2000/06/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygitk30.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygitk30.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/6/11 5:34
  402k 2000/06/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtcl80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/6/11 5:30
    5k 2000/06/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
   10k 2000/06/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/6/11 5:30
  639k 2000/06/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtk80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/6/11 5:34
  575k 2000/06/07 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/6/7 4:20
Use -h to see help about each section

* Re: instalation in other than c:\
@ 2000-07-25  7:17   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-25  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: teilo; +Cc: cygwin

> Attached is the output of cygcheck -s -v -r run from a cmd shell.

That doesn't look like what setup does for the mount tables.  You did
use the setup program, right?

* Re: instalation in other than c:\
@ 2000-07-25  8:04     ` James Nord
From: James Nord @ 2000-07-25  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, cygwin

DJ Delorie wrote:

> > Attached is the output of cygcheck -s -v -r run from a cmd shell.
>
> That doesn't look like what setup does for the mount tables.

Well thats what it did ;-)

> You did use the setup program, right?

Yes. from ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/lang/cygwin/latest/setup.exe

/James

--

@ 2000-07-25  8:22     ` James Nord
From: James Nord @ 2000-07-25  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

Ahh....

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I've just solved it.

It was using the gui setup program btw...

The problem is that I ran the installer as the Administrator user, and
never use that account for anything else but installations.

The installer made (and the tools require?) the registry entries in HKCU
not in HKLM.
But this is a bit wiered as it effects the whole installation and should
they not be created in HKLM instead?

Exporting the settings from the administrator account and back into my
account and everything works.

Thanks for everyones,

	/James

--

@ 2000-07-25  9:43       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-25  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: teilo; +Cc: cygwin

When it asked for the root path, did you check the "install for all"
or "install for just me" option?

* Re: instalation in other than c:\
@ 2000-07-26 18:20                 ` Kendall Bennett
From: Kendall Bennett @ 2000-07-26 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> > However there is one major catch with this. If you put the registry
> > keys under HKLM, on Windows 2000 you need Administrator privledges to
> > be able to access that registry tree. I did an install to the system
> > on my box, and both the Administrator and KendallB accounts worked
> > fine, but regular users did not see the registry settings!
>
> Can a non-priviledged user read HKLM with regtool or regedit?  If
> so, we might just be reading the registry with the wrong requested
> permissiong (rw vs ro) in cygwin.

That is possible. I know you definately cannot write to it, but
perhaps it is possibl to read it. In fact I am sure it is because I
was broswing it as a regular user when I was trying to figure out
what was wrong.

Regards,

|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |

* Re: instalation in other than c:\
@ 2000-07-26  7:45 Andre Bleau
From: Andre Bleau @ 2000-07-26  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > However there is one major catch with this. If you put the registry
> > keys under HKLM, on Windows 2000 you need Administrator privledges to
> > be able to access that registry tree. I did an install to the system
> > on my box, and both the Administrator and KendallB accounts worked
> > fine, but regular users did not see the registry settings!
>
>Can a non-priviledged user read HKLM with regtool or regedit?  If so,
>we might just be reading the registry with the wrong requested
>permissiong (rw vs ro) in cygwin.

Absolutely. In NT and W2K, everyone has at least read access to HKLM by
default,  except for HKLM/SECURITY. There is no default restriction on the
method of access (Regedit, Regedt32, NT reskit tools...) although some
administrators may remove user access to some of the tools.

André Bleau, ing., analyste
bleau@courriel.polymtl.ca

Département de génie électrique et         Electric Engineering and
de génie informatique                      Computer Engineering department
École Polytechnique de Montréal            Montreal Polytechnic School

* Re: instalation in other than c:\
@ 2000-07-26  6:45               ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-26  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KendallB; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2000-07-25 19:13             ` Kendall Bennett
From: Kendall Bennett @ 2000-07-25 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> > Ahh, I did see those options but given the layout of the dialog box I
> > thought the 'system/user' option was something related to the mount
> > point!
>
> It is.  It determines whether the mounts are places in HKLM
> (system) or HKCU (user).  However, I have since reworded it (the
> latest setup on sources had it) to be more obvious about the
> consequences of the choice, not the direct effect.

Yep, it is much clearer now, thanks!

However there is one major catch with this. If you put the registry
keys under HKLM, on Windows 2000 you need Administrator privledges to
be able to access that registry tree. I did an install to the system
on my box, and both the Administrator and KendallB accounts worked
fine, but regular users did not see the registry settings!

I am not quite sure how you are supposed to fix this, but for the
moment I still have to manually create the correct keys for regular
users.

@ 2000-07-25 16:35           ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-25 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KendallB; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2000-07-25 16:00         ` Kendall Bennett
From: Kendall Bennett @ 2000-07-25 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> > Eh? You must be using a pre-release version of setup.exe, since the
> > version I am using (downloaded late last week, and dated 7/13/2000
> > 10:37PM) simply asks me where to install from (current directory in
> > my case as I use a mirror program to pull everything down), and then
> > asks me where to put it all and that's it. It goes on directly and
> > starts installing.
>
> Go to http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ and click on the "install
> cygwin now" icon in the upper right.  That's a link to the latest
> setup.exe (the same as the one in the ftp area).  The second
> dialog, where it asks you for the path to the cygwin root
> directory, also has a "Default Text File Type" selection (dos or
> unix), and an "Install for" selection (all or just me).  Did you
> see those options?

Ahh, I did see those options but given the layout of the dialog box I
thought the 'system/user' option was something related to the mount
point!

Hence I would suggest a good change to the dialog box would be to
sepatate those radio buttons into a separate group and put a
description on the system/user group so it is clearer what the radio
buttons represent ;-)

@ 2000-07-25 11:10       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-25 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KendallB; +Cc: cygwin

> Eh? You must be using a pre-release version of setup.exe, since the
> version I am using (downloaded late last week, and dated 7/13/2000
> 10:37PM) simply asks me where to install from (current directory in
> my case as I use a mirror program to pull everything down), and then
> asks me where to put it all and that's it. It goes on directly and
> starts installing.

Go to http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ and click on the "install
cygwin now" icon in the upper right.  That's a link to the latest
setup.exe (the same as the one in the ftp area).  The second dialog,
where it asks you for the path to the cygwin root directory, also has
a "Default Text File Type" selection (dos or unix), and an "Install
for" selection (all or just me).  Did you see those options?

It's dated July 18th 21:02.

* Re: instalation in other than c:\
@ 2000-07-25 10:03     ` Kendall Bennett
From: Kendall Bennett @ 2000-07-25 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> > BTW, this brings up some points about the installer. Shouldn't the
> > default installation stuff be stored in a global registry setting
> > somewhere instead of the current user setting?
>
> If you check the "all users" option in the root path dialog, it
> will install everything (registry, desktop, start menu) globally.
> You *did* check that box, didn't you?

Eh? You must be using a pre-release version of setup.exe, since the
version I am using (downloaded late last week, and dated 7/13/2000
10:37PM) simply asks me where to install from (current directory in
my case as I use a mirror program to pull everything down), and then
asks me where to put it all and that's it. It goes on directly and
starts installing.

If I *did* get this question I would definately have told it to do it
for all users as I always do installations as Administrator
specifically to ensure I flesh out problems other users will have
when I try to use the apps myself from my own local account (even
though my account has Administrator priveledges and could be used for
the install).

> I'm not sure what the default should be, but I suspect that the
> right way would auto-detect if you had admin privs and select
> defaults accordingly.

That would be a really good idea!

> > Or perhaps some 'user install' utility should be created to set this
> > up correctly for each user that wishes to use the shared Cygwin
> > installation?
>
> We've thought about that, but better would be to fix mkpasswd so
> that it creates a globally usable password file.

You mean one that would automatically merge both the local and domain
passwords into a single file? That would be cool. Although in the
interim an option in the installer would be nice as I think most
users doing NT installs who use a network will need domain accounts.

@ 2000-07-25  9:57       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-25  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: teilo; +Cc: KendallB, cygwin

> I could have sworn that I chose the install for all option, although I
> could have missed it :-/
>
> However the shortcuts icons are in the "all users" start menu and not
> the Administrators.

Hmmm, could be a bug then.  It's *supposed* to use HKLU when it does
"all users".

> What do you mean by a "globally useable" password file?  The setup
> created it fine for me and populated it with the correct Users &
> UIDs from my system - Hej it even got the home directories ;-)

*If* mkpasswd is sensitive to the current user, which was what I was
responding to, *then* it should be fixed.  I manually edit my
/etc/passwd file, so I wouldn't know.

* Re: instalation in other than c:\
@ 2000-07-25  9:56     ` James Nord
From: James Nord @ 2000-07-25  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: KendallB, cygwin

DJ Delorie wrote:

> > BTW, this brings up some points about the installer. Shouldn't the
> > default installation stuff be stored in a global registry setting
> > somewhere instead of the current user setting?
>
> If you check the "all users" option in the root path dialog, it will
> install everything (registry, desktop, start menu) globally.  You
> *did* check that box, didn't you?

I could have sworn that I chose the install for all option, although I
could have missed it :-/

However the shortcuts icons are in the "all users" start menu and not
the Administrators.

> I'm not sure what the default should be, but I suspect that the right
> way would auto-detect if you had admin privs and select defaults
> accordingly.

Sounds good.

@ 2000-07-25  9:51   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-25  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KendallB; +Cc: cygwin, teilo

@ 2000-07-25  9:47 ` Kendall Bennett
From: Kendall Bennett @ 2000-07-25  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: James Nord

James Nord <teilo@cdt.luth.se> wrote:

> As I installed the toolkit under c:\cygwin and not c:\ I get
> various errors.

I installed under c:\unix and it works OK. However...

> >bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

It sounds like you did what I did, and installed Cygwin as
Administrator on your NT box (mine is Win2K), and then tried to use
it as a regular user on the system. There are a couple of problems
with this that I sorted out manually:

 1. You need to create the necessary registry entries to tell Cygwin
where to mount the root partition of the Unix file system. This lives
under '\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions'. I exported this
registry key to a file from my Administrator account, and then
imported this into my user account and got it working. I assume you
will need to do the same for all users on the system.

 2. The user id will be wrong when you finally get Cygwin going, as
it will think you are still the Administrator (based on what is in
/etc/passwd). The solution I used was to re-create the /etc/passwd
and /etc/group files based on our NT domain as follows:

 mkpasswd -d > /etc/passwd
 mkgroup -d > /etc/passwd

The default is to normally to get this from the local machine login,
but any good NT install using domains will only have a local
Administrator account and all user accounts will be on the domain
controller instead. The install IMHO should have the option of
getting user account information from the domain controller and not
the local accounts as that would be very useful for a lot of users
IMHO.

BTW, this brings up some points about the installer. Shouldn't the
default installation stuff be stored in a global registry setting
somewhere instead of the current user setting? Or perhaps some 'user

@ 2000-07-25  7:15 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-25  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: teilo; +Cc: cygwin

> >bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

Setup should have created /tmp for you.

> >bash-2.04$ man man
> >Warning: cannot open configuration file /usr/lib/man.conf
> >No manual entry for man

Try changing your path in /etc/profile to have /usr/bin:/bin instead
of the other way around.

* instalation in other than c:\
@ 2000-07-25  5:17 James Nord
From: James Nord @ 2000-07-25  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)