* Re: inetd security hole?
@ 2000-08-08  9:15 Bob Heckel
From: Bob Heckel @ 2000-08-08  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

Thanks for the suggestion, Rob but I still need the Guest account to allow
anonymous NT shares (for my non-Cygwin enlightened coworkers) to certain
directories on my W2K box.  I'll just leave Guest out of /etc/passwd for
now.

The thing that worried me originally was that "dropbox" shares are common on
Windoze machines and I only discovered the hole by accident.  Unfortunately
the inetd documentation doesn't mention the issue.

Bob Heckel
p.s. Thanks also to Dave for your comments.

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 08:23:57 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

>  I agree that this is a NT feature.. in fact the guest account can be
>  renamed, or disabled. Bob - if you disable the guest account on your
>  machine, cygwin shouldn't be able to login you whether or not guest is
>  listed in /etc/passwd.
>
>  Rob

* Re: inetd security hole?
@ 2000-08-08  9:36 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-08-08  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 09:15:01AM -0700, Bob Heckel wrote:
>Thanks for the suggestion, Rob but I still need the Guest account to allow
>anonymous NT shares (for my non-Cygwin enlightened coworkers) to certain
>directories on my W2K box.  I'll just leave Guest out of /etc/passwd for
>now.
>
>The thing that worried me originally was that "dropbox" shares are common on
>Windoze machines and I only discovered the hole by accident.  Unfortunately
>the inetd documentation doesn't mention the issue.

Perhaps you would like to contribute some wording for the inetd documentation
which describes the problem.

cgf

* RE: inetd security hole?
@ 2000-08-09 16:54 Bob Heckel
From: Bob Heckel @ 2000-08-09 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: robert.collins

Hi Corinna,

Yesterday night (Tues, Aug 8, 2000) Robert Collins
improved my original version.  You might want to
consider merging this version during your next update.
Thanks.

"Please be aware that if you have created your
/etc/passwd via mkpasswd -l then you may have a
security hole.

If your PC has 'Guest' enabled in order to allow shares
to certain directories on your W2K or NT box, your
passwd file contains an entry for Guest that will allow
anyone to ftp, telnet, etc. to your machine simply by
using user guest and pressing enter for the password.
One solution is to disable the Guest account via User
Manager (NT) or Control Panel - Users and passwords
(W2K), the other is to delete the Guest entry in
/etc/passwd.

This problem is a weakness in Windows, not Cygwin."

Bob Heckel

> Thanks, I have checked that into the README with slight
> changes to mention anonymous ftp in that context.
>
> However, I will upload another version of inetutils
> this week since
> I found a problem with anonymous ftp.
>
> Corinna

* Re: inetd security hole?
@ 2000-08-09  3:27 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-08-09  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bheckel; +Cc: cygwin

Bob Heckel wrote:

> I should have suggested that myself.  How does this blurb
> sound (particularly directed to anyone who has experienced
> this issue and Corinna)?
>
> "Please be aware that if you have created your /etc/passwd
> via mkpasswd -l then you may have a security hole.
>
> If your PC has "Guest" enabled in order to allow shares to
> certain directories on your W2K or NT box, your passwd file
> contains an entry for Guest that will allow anyone to ftp,
> telnet, etc. to your machine simply by using user guest and
> pressing enter for the password.  One solution is to
> eliminate the Guest account via Control Panel, the other is
> to delete the Guest entry in /etc/passwd.
>
> This problem is a weakness in Windows, not Cygwin."

Thanks, I have checked that into the README with slight changes
to mention anonymous ftp in that context.

However, I will upload another version of inetutils this week since
I found a problem with anonymous ftp.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com

* Re: inetd security hole?
@ 2000-08-08 18:32 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-08-08 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 06:30:20PM -0700, Bob Heckel wrote:
>I should have suggested that myself.  How does this blurb
>sound (particularly directed to anyone who has experienced
>this issue and Corinna)?
>
>"Please be aware that if you have created your /etc/passwd
>via mkpasswd -l then you may have a security hole.
>
>If your PC has "Guest" enabled in order to allow shares to
>certain directories on your W2K or NT box, your passwd file
>contains an entry for Guest that will allow anyone to ftp,
>telnet, etc. to your machine simply by using user guest and
>pressing enter for the password.  One solution is to
>eliminate the Guest account via Control Panel, the other is
>to delete the Guest entry in /etc/passwd.
>
>This problem is a weakness in Windows, not Cygwin."

That sounds perfect to me, but I'll let Corinna be the final
judge.

Thanks!

cgf

>On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 12:36:02 -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
>
>>Perhaps you would like to contribute some wording for the inetd
>>documentation
>>which describes the problem.

cgf@cygnus.com                        Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/         http://www.redhat.com/

* Re: inetd security hole?
@ 2000-08-08 18:30 Bob Heckel
From: Bob Heckel @ 2000-08-08 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: vinschen

@ 2000-08-07 15:16   ` Robert Collins

From: David A. Cobb @ 2000-08-07  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bheckel, cygwin

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"Don't buy or use crappy software"
"By the grace of God I am a Christian man,
 by my actions a great sinner" -- The Way of a Pilgrim [R. M.
French, tr.]

* inetd security hole?
@ 2000-08-04 14:04 Bob Heckel