* Re: A bit OT: vi in telnet session
@ 2000-08-21  5:43 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-08-21  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Zielke, cygwin

--- Andreas Zielke <andreas.zielke@sdm.de> wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I guess this posting is a bit off-topic, but I don't know any news-
> group that would be more appropriate. (If you do, please tell me.)
>
> When I telnet to a machine (running SunOS 5.7), using the telnet-
> program that comes with 1.1.4 Cygwin an start vi I get this error-
> message:
>
> bash-2.03$ vi
> cygwin: Unknown terminal type
> Visual needs addressable cursor or upline capability
> :
>
> Is there a simple solution (like setting TERM to something else)
> to this?

Why didn't you try your suggestion?  After telnetting, export TERM=<something
in the SunOS terminal database>.  You could try xterm, ansi, linux, vt100,
vt200, etc.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: A bit OT: vi in telnet session
@ 2000-08-21  3:39   ` Vikas
From: Vikas @ 2000-08-21  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Zielke; +Cc: cygwin

Ops!
I gave a wrong command line. It is "vi -T vt100". Capital 'T'.

* Re: A bit OT: vi in telnet session
@ 2000-08-21  3:31 ` Vikas
From: Vikas @ 2000-08-21  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Zielke; +Cc: cygwin

Andreas Zielke wrote:
> When I telnet to a machine (running SunOS 5.7), using the telnet-
> program that comes with 1.1.4 Cygwin an start vi I get this error-
> message:
>
> bash-2.03$ vi
> cygwin: Unknown terminal type
> Visual needs addressable cursor or upline capability
> :

execute "bash$ set TERM=vt100" and done!
You can even set TERM to "linux" or "vt103".
check whether your telnet client supports it.
vi won't execute untill it knows the terminal type.
One way is the environment variable and the other way is through
command line like "bash$ vi -t vt100".

--
/*
** http://www.programmingParadise.com

* Re: A bit OT: vi in telnet session
@ 2000-08-21  2:47 Neil Lunn
From: Neil Lunn @ 2000-08-21  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andreas.zielke, cygwin

>From: Andreas Zielke <andreas.zielke@sdm.de>
>To: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
>Subject: A bit OT: vi in telnet session
>Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:14:50 +0200 (Westeuropäische Sommerzeit)
>
>Hi *,
>
>I guess this posting is a bit off-topic, but I don't know any news-
>group that would be more appropriate. (If you do, please tell me.)

Yup! Off-topic all right

alt.unix, alt.solaris, comp.os.unix, comp.os.unix.misc, comp.unix.solaris

>Is there a simple solution (like setting TERM to something else)
>to this?

Yup! ansi, vt100 etc, etc. Anthing but cygwin, or create an entry for
termcap!

* A bit OT: vi in telnet session
@ 2000-08-21  2:15 Andreas Zielke
From: Andreas Zielke @ 2000-08-21  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi *,

I guess this posting is a bit off-topic, but I don't know any news-
group that would be more appropriate. (If you do, please tell me.)

When I telnet to a machine (running SunOS 5.7), using the telnet-
program that comes with 1.1.4 Cygwin an start vi I get this error-
message:

bash-2.03$ vi
cygwin: Unknown terminal type
Visual needs addressable cursor or upline capability
:

Is there a simple solution (like setting TERM to something else)
to this?

Thanks,
  Andreas

--