* Re: CygUtils updates: usr-local, RemoveObsoletePackages
@ 2000-08-26 19:34 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-08-26 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, cygwin

--- Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
> A lot of packages that were originally included in my usr-local package
> at cygutils have been absorbed into the official cygwin net release.  In
> most cases, the versions distributed from sources.redhat.com are newer
> and better, so the ones from cygutils are obsolete.  I've created a new
> usr-local package that does not include those obsolete packages -- the
> new one is about half the size of the old.  It includes:
>
> autoconf-2.13    automake-1.4
> bzip2-0.9.5d     freetype-1.3
> gettext-0.10.35  ncurses-5.0
> readline-4.0     rxvt-2.6.2
> tar-1.12+bzip2   unzip-5.41
> vim-5.6          xpm-3.4k
> zip-2.3
> /usr/local/info/dir
> /usr/local/man/whatis

Why did you leave bzip2 and vim-5.6 when bzip2 and vim are distributed in the
latest directory?

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: CygUtils updates: usr-local, RemoveObsoletePackages
@ 2000-08-26 19:55 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-08-26 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: cygwin

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > A lot of packages that were originally included in my usr-local package
> > at cygutils have been absorbed into the official cygwin net release.  In
> > most cases, the versions distributed from sources.redhat.com are newer
> > and better, so the ones from cygutils are obsolete.  I've created a new
> > usr-local package that does not include those obsolete packages -- the
> > new one is about half the size of the old.  It includes:
> >
> > autoconf-2.13    automake-1.4
> > bzip2-0.9.5d     freetype-1.3
> > gettext-0.10.35  ncurses-5.0
> > readline-4.0     rxvt-2.6.2
> > tar-1.12+bzip2   unzip-5.41
> > vim-5.6          xpm-3.4k
> > zip-2.3
> > /usr/local/info/dir
> > /usr/local/man/whatis
> >

> Why did you leave bzip2 and vim-5.6 when bzip2 and vim are distributed in the
> latest directory?

A very good question -- go to the head of the class.

It's because the "real" bzip2 package doesn't include libbz2.a -- mine
does. (However, Michael Ring has recently made available a bzip2-1.0.1-3
package that *does* include libbz2.a. Once his version is made
'official', I'll remove mine from usr-local).

As far as vim goes, the official version was compiled only with termcap,
not with ncurses, IIRC.  Also, for whatever reason, its syntax
highlighting consists solely of bold, underline, and bold-underline --
no colors. At least on my machine.  Granted, this is probably a
configuration issue on my own machine, but I haven't really
investigated.  I'm working on getting ncurses dll-ized, and then I
planned on taking a look at vim: to see if folks *wanted* an
ncurses-based version, or if the color-highlighting issue was actually a
setup problem on my machine.  Anyway, that's for the future -- I really
don't want to start a vim flamewar right now.

For now, since (at least according to my personal experience) the vim
and bzip packages provide additional features/benefits beyond the
official ones, I kept them in usr-local.  If you want to remove (for
instance) cygutils vim and cygutils bzip2, it's pretty easy, thanks to
Vladimir Ivanovic.  Just use the RemoveObsoletePackages tool, and drop
the original tarball of vim-5.6-cygwin-whatever.tar.gz into the
RemoveObsoletePackages/packages directory....check the README for that
tool.

Yeah, I know this means you basically download cygutils vim twice (once
in the usr-local tarball, and once by itself) -- all so that you can
remove it!  However, that's the best I can do right now -- short of
moving to RPM's.  But Micheal, ReBuM, RUE Satoh, and several others have
already done that, so I'm not going to duplicate their effort. :-)

--Chuck

* Re: CygUtils updates: usr-local, RemoveObsoletePackages
@ 2000-12-04 10:17   ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2000-12-04 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Please forgive a rather silly question, but, from where may I download
> usr-local-4?

Go to the following page:

http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/index.html

and look for the 2000-dec-03 option which references /usr/local.  That
should take you to where you need to be.

* Re: CygUtils updates: usr-local, RemoveObsoletePackages
@ 2000-12-04 10:15   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-12-04 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: cygwin

Patrick Doyle wrote:

> Please forgive a rather silly question, but, from where may I download
> usr-local-4?  It doesn't show up in the list of setup packages.  From
> your text, I expect that there is a "cygutils" site somewhere, but I'm
> not sure where to begin to look.

Doh!  I forgot to list the URL!!!

http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/index.html

Also, don't use setup to install cygutils packages -- they're not
configured for it.  Instead, see the instructions at
http://cygutils.netpedia.net/index.html

--Chuck

* Re: CygUtils updates: usr-local, RemoveObsoletePackages
@ 2000-12-04 10:12   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-12-04 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle, cygwin

At 12:33 PM 12/4/2000, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>"Charles S. Wilson" wrote:
> >
> > A lot of packages that were originally included in my usr-local package
> > at cygutils have been absorbed into the official cygwin net release.  In
> > most cases, the versions distributed from sources.redhat.com are newer
> > and better, so the ones from cygutils are obsolete.  I've created a new
> > usr-local package that does not include those obsolete packages -- the
> > new one (usr-local-4) is about one fourth the size of the old one
> > (usr-local-3) which was in turn half the size of the preceding one.
> > (I'm slowly succeeding in my goal to make cygutils obsolete...)  The new
> > usr-local package includes:
> >
> > automake-1.4     freetype-1.3
> > ncftp-3.0.1      rxvt-2.6.2
> > unzip-5.41       wget-1.5.3
> > zip-2.3
>
>Please forgive a rather silly question, but, from where may I download
>usr-local-4?  It doesn't show up in the list of setup packages.  From
>your text, I expect that there is a "cygutils" site somewhere, but I'm
>not sure where to begin to look.
>
>--wpd

Try the "Related Sites" link on the Cygwin home page (www.cygwin.com).
There's a pointer there to http://cygutils.netpedia.net/ .

* Re: CygUtils updates: usr-local, RemoveObsoletePackages
@ 2000-12-04  9:33 ` Patrick Doyle
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2000-12-04  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-12-03 16:05 Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2000-12-03 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A lot of packages that were originally included in my usr-local package
at cygutils have been absorbed into the official cygwin net release.  In
most cases, the versions distributed from sources.redhat.com are newer
and better, so the ones from cygutils are obsolete.  I've created a new
usr-local package that does not include those obsolete packages -- the
new one (usr-local-4) is about one fourth the size of the old one
(usr-local-3) which was in turn half the size of the preceding one.
(I'm slowly succeeding in my goal to make cygutils obsolete...)  The new
usr-local package includes:

automake-1.4     freetype-1.3
ncftp-3.0.1      rxvt-2.6.2
unzip-5.41       wget-1.5.3
zip-2.3

With two exceptions, these packages are identical to the ones in the
older usr-local package; no need to install this one if you already have
the old one (see below for a method to clean up obsolete stuff).  ncftp
and wget are newly added to usr-local, but they can be downloaded
separately from cygutils if you already have the older usr-local package
installed.

NOTE: since ncftp depends on cygwin-ncurses, but ncurses is no longer
part of usr-local, ncftp will look in the wrong place for its terminfo
database.  To correct that, you need to add 'export
TERMINFO=/usr/share/terminfo' to your /etc/profile.

As you can see, usr-local is getting rather tiny -- it used to be 20+
packages and over 35Meg uncompressed; it's now only 7 packages (two were
newly added) and unpacks to 5Meg.  This will probably be the last
usr-local package; as it gets smaller there's really no reason to
maintain a bundle separate from the individual downloads.  I hope to
eventually build zip and unzip according to official rules, and submit
those along with freetype.  (With the addition of freetype, all of the
required graphics libraries for ImageMagick should be ready for use; but
I'll leave building ImageMagick to someone else)  Then, perhaps, ncftp
and wget would be useful additions to the 'official' distribution.
Finally, automake should also be built for the official package but it
depends on perl, so that'll have to wait until there is a perl port
included in the official distro.

That leaves only rxvt -- which cannot be added to the official distro
since it requires an Xserver, and the XFree86 Xserver for cygwin is
still...imperfect.

The following were removed:

autoconf-2.13    bzip2-0.9.5d
gettext-0.10.35  ncurses-5.0
readline-4.0     tar-1.12+bzip2
vim-5.6          xpm-3.4k

Seven of these packages (all but vim) were removed because newer
versions have been absorbed into the main distribution.  A few specific
notes:

  o ncurses is still a 'test' version but will become 'official' very
soon

  o bzip2 has been a part of the official distribution for a while but
didn't provide libbz2 -- there is a 'test' version on sourceware that
*does* provide libbz2 and it will become 'official' very soon, which is
why I've (finally) removed bzip2 from usr-local

  o readline has just been released as a 'test' version -- I imagine it
will go through the typically few weeks of pounding and then become
'official', so I didn't include it in the new usr-local.

  o vim was removed because it offers nothing better than the official
vim, except that it's ncurses/terminfo-based and not termcap-based.  If
you want the ncurses-based vim, it can be downloaded separately from
cygutils.

************************
 RemoveObsoletePackages
************************

Now, what if you've already installed one of the older usr-local
tarballs, and you'd like to uninstall those parts that have become
obsolete?  Well, Vladimir Ivanovic asked the same question, and created
the answer: a very flexible set of shell scripts to help remove
packages, called "RemoveObsoletePackages". You can find it here:

http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/usr-local/Obsolete.html

RemoveObsoletePackages has been updated to include ".list.tar.bz2" files
for all obsoleted cygutils packages.

Note: this is totally unrelated to ongoing work on setup.exe.
RemoveObsoletePackages is a very flexible tool, but is no substitute for
a working 'uninstall' feature in setup.exe.  Please pitch in.

--Chuck Wilson

* Re: CygUtils updates: usr-local, RemoveObsoletePackages
@ 2000-08-27 22:18 Bobby McNulty Junior
From: Bobby McNulty Junior @ 2000-08-27 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, Earnie Boyd; +Cc: cygwin

Chuck, I download the smaller cygutils after you said
you were going to release them.
Well, with automake, I am getting closer to
accomplishing dream of making C/C++ programs for
Windows.
All i need now is some info on Unix (programmer's
guide) and read the Win32 API that is in Microsoft
Visual C++ Learner's Edition.

I'd rather use Cygwin for production. :-}
Bobby

* CygUtils updates: usr-local, RemoveObsoletePackages
@ 2000-08-25 20:55 Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-08-25 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

cvs-1.10         gdbm-1.8.0
inetutils-1.3.2  jbig-1.0
jpeg-6b          libcrypt
libpng-1.0.6     login
tiff-v3.5.2      zlib-1.1.3
/usr/local/etc/inetd.conf

Now, what if you've already installed one of the older usr-local
tarballs, and you'd like to uninstall those parts that have become
obsolete?  Well, Vladimir Ivanovic asked the same question, and created
the answer: a very flexible set of shell scripts to help remove
packages, called "RemoveObsoletePackages". You can find it here:

http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/usr-local/Obsolete.html

Note: this is totally unrelated to DJ's ongoing work on setup.exe.
RemoveObsoletePackages is a very flexible tool, but is no substitute for
a working 'uninstall' feature in setup.exe.  Please pitch in and help
DJ.

--Chuck Wilson