* Latest gcc/cygwin - bug in %e format specifier?
       [not found] <961048805.11767.ezmlm@sourceware.cygnus.com>
@ 2000-06-15  9:52 ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 2000-06-15  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The latest net release of gcc seems to have a slight bug in the %e print
format specifier. It prints garbage when you try to print a variable whose
value is zero.

For example, attached is a (very) short program that does nothing but print
two variables, with values 0 and 1 respectively. I'd show the output, but it
contains several null characters which don't seem to cut/paste very well.
The basic result is that the 1 variable works fine. The zero variable prints
stuff it shouldn't.

To test, just run

"gcc testit.c -o testit"

Then run testit. Optimizations don't seem to matter.

Richard Stanton

[-- Attachment #2: testit.c --]
[-- Type: text/x-c, Size: 173 bytes --]

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    double tt = 0.0;
    double uu = 1.0;

    printf("tt = %e\n", tt);
    printf("uu = %e\n", uu);
    return 0;

* Re: Latest gcc/cygwin - bug in %e format specifier?
@ 2000-06-15 21:40   ` Shiv Kumar
From: Shiv Kumar @ 2000-06-15 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stanton; +Cc: cygwin

Seems to work fine for me ..

     [/tmp:$] gcc testit.c -o testit
     [/tmp:$] ls *exe
     testit.exe*
     [/tmp:$] testit
     tt = 0.000000e+00
     uu = 1.000000e+00
     [/tmp:$] gcc --version
     2.95.2
     [/tmp:$]

Regards.
--
shiv
vihs@rocketmail.com

Richard Stanton wrote:

> The latest net release of gcc seems to have a slight bug in the %e print
> format specifier. It prints garbage when you try to print a variable whose
> value is zero.
>
> For example, attached is a (very) short program that does nothing but print
> two variables, with values 0 and 1 respectively. I'd show the output, but it
> contains several null characters which don't seem to cut/paste very well.
> The basic result is that the 1 variable works fine. The zero variable prints
> stuff it shouldn't.
>
> To test, just run
>
> "gcc testit.c -o testit"
>
> Then run testit. Optimizations don't seem to matter.
>
> Richard Stanton

* Can't remove erroneous mount...
@ 2000-09-02 21:54     ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 2000-09-02 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

By accident, I just ran the command

  mount -s -f -b / c:

(I got the two arguments reversed).

Unfortunately, there is no way to unmount this now I've created it. For
example,

c:\>umount --remove-system-mounts
umount: c:: Invalid argument

c:\>umount c:
umount: c:: Invalid argument

c:\>mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
c:\usr\local        /usr/local          user         binmode
\\.\tape0:          /dev/st0            user         textmode
\\.\tape1:          /dev/st1            user         textmode
\\.\a:              /dev/fd0            user         textmode
\\.\b:              /dev/fd1            user         textmode
\                   c:                  system       binmode

How can I get rid of the last mount listed?

Thanks.

Richard Stanton

* Re: Can't remove erroneous mount...
@ 2000-09-02 21:58       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-02 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 09:54:35PM -0700, Richard Stanton wrote:
>By accident, I just ran the command
>
>  mount -s -f -b / c:
>
>(I got the two arguments reversed).
>
>Unfortunately, there is no way to unmount this now I've created it. For
>example,
>
>c:\>umount --remove-system-mounts
>umount: c:: Invalid argument
>
>c:\>umount c:
>umount: c:: Invalid argument
>
>c:\>mount
>Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>c:\usr\local        /usr/local          user         binmode
>\\.\tape0:          /dev/st0            user         textmode
>\\.\tape1:          /dev/st1            user         textmode
>\\.\a:              /dev/fd0            user         textmode
>\\.\b:              /dev/fd1            user         textmode
>\                   c:                  system       binmode
>
>How can I get rid of the last mount listed?

umount -s \

or

umount -s \\

if you are running from bash.

cgf

* Re: Can't remove erroneous mount...
@ 2000-09-18 13:00       ` Kazuhiro Fujieda
From: Kazuhiro Fujieda @ 2000-09-18 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>> On Sat, 2 Sep 2000 21:54:35 -0700
>>> "Richard Stanton" <stanton@haas.berkeley.edu> said:

> By accident, I just ran the command
>
>   mount -s -f -b / c:
>
> (I got the two arguments reversed).

I've fixed the mount code to reject such erroneous mount points
in the development sources. It should be in the next snapshot.
____
  | AIST      Kazuhiro Fujieda <fujieda@jaist.ac.jp>
  | HOKURIKU  School of Information Science
o_/ 1990      Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology