* new setup (again!)
@ 2000-08-29 18:16 DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-08-29 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yes, it's yet another setup upgrade!  I hope I'm not boring anyone
yet... ;-)  If any of these affect you, please test them and let me
know how well they work for you.

Changes:

When downloading only, the chooser by default only shows you the files
it will be downloading, rather than all of them.

If IE5 isn't installed, setup complains instead of crashing.

You can use direct HTTP/FTP or manual proxies instead of IE5.

I fixed the log-to-missing-directory bug.

You can now select "Uninstall" in the chooser to remove packages
(you'll have to hit the "full/part" button to get a full list).

Files obsoleted by an upgrade are removed.

The mirror list URL reflects the "sources.redhat.com" name :-)

* Re: new setup (again!)
@ 2000-08-30 13:40 ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2000-08-30 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

DJ,

Tried the new setup (the version that we get from
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin ) and it worked great.  That baby just
keeps getting better and better every day.  I haven't tried the one (if
it is different) from CVS because I really don't know how to use the CVS.

If someone will point me to an area where I can learn about the CVS I
will give it a try and see how it works.

One thing I did notice in the install from the one I used is that is
places the shortcut for the bash shell in the root directory of the drive
I installed on so that instead of having the shortcut in D:\cygwin where
I installed cygwin my shortcut ends up in D:\.  I kind of prefer to keep
things like this out of root - but I don't know how everyone else feels.
 What is your thoughts on this.

* Re: new setup (again!)
@ 2000-08-30 14:23   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-08-30 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkeener; +Cc: cygwin

> Tried the new setup (the version that we get from
> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin ) and it worked great.  That baby just
> keeps getting better and better every day.  I haven't tried the one (if
> it is different) from CVS because I really don't know how to use the CVS.

CVS at the moment is the same as the setup.exe on sources.

> One thing I did notice in the install from the one I used is that is
> places the shortcut for the bash shell in the root directory of the drive
> I installed on so that instead of having the shortcut in D:\cygwin where
> I installed cygwin my shortcut ends up in D:\.  I kind of prefer to keep
> things like this out of root - but I don't know how everyone else feels.

The shortcuts are supposed to end up (1) on the desktop, and (2) in
your start menu.  You're the second person to see this behavior -
could you email me the output of "cygcheck -r -s -v" ?  Also, if you
could debug it, the relevent functions are start_menu() and
desktop_icon() in src/winsup/cinstall/desktop.cc.

* Re: new setup (again!)
@ 2000-09-01 13:38     ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2000-09-01 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well,

Looking at the code in Desktop.cc, I think I might see what's wrong with
the desktop Icon creation in desktop_icon().  Now as soon as I can figure
out how to recompile my change (pointers to a doc or faq greatly
appreciated - I'm a newbie c/c++ programmer at best) I can see if I am
right.  Then all I'll have to do is submit a changelog and I saw
something here recently on how to do that so that should be in the
archives.

* Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-01 13:48       ` DJ Delorie
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-01 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkeener; +Cc: cygwin

[subject changed to make this easier to find in the future]

> Now as soon as I can figure out how to recompile my change,

$ make

Ok, it's not always that easy.  If you've already checked out the
"winsup" module from cvs and built it, typing "make" in the
winsup/cinstall directory rebuilds just setup.  Otherwise, run "make"
in the directory above winsup (yeah, it takes a while).  You'll have a
fully built cygwin also, in case you want to expand your participation
later ;-)

> Then all I'll have to do is submit a changelog and I saw something
> here recently on how to do that so that should be in the archives.

Here's the quick instructions:

Edit all the files, *except* ChangeLog.

Use "cvs diff -p2 > /tmp/foo" to generate the right diffs for us.

Create your mail message, with the patch (/tmp/foo above) included in
the body (don't attach it, it just makes it harder for me to process).

Create a ChangeLog entry and put it above the patch in your email.
Don't produce a diff for the ChangeLog; that file changes the most and
the odds that your patch will apply correctly are pretty slim.  We're
used to pasting in ChangeLog entries manually.

If you want to edit ChangeLog as you go (emacs users would prefer this
if you're used to the changelog-mode bindings), just cut that part out
of the diff and remove the diff decorations from it to make it a
plain-text entry, or cut-n-paste from your ChangeLog file to the mail
message.

Follow the examples in the other ChangeLog entries, and see
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/GNU/standards_32.html

Include "[patch]" in your subject, like this example:

	Subject: [patch] desktop.cc fix for icons

Make sure your mailer will NOT wrap columns or convert tabs to spaces.
If it will, *then* send the files as file attachments.

Send the mail to cygwin-patches@sources.redhat.com

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-01 13:51         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-09-01 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

DJ Delorie wrote:
> Include "[patch]" in your subject, like this example:
>
>         Subject: [patch] desktop.cc fix for icons
>
> Make sure your mailer will NOT wrap columns or convert tabs to spaces.
> If it will, *then* send the files as file attachments.

gzipped and uuencoded, then pasted into the email is not good?

--Chuck

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-01 13:58           ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-01 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cwilson; +Cc: cygwin

> gzipped and uuencoded, then pasted into the email is not good?

Of course, I prefer a gzipped patch to no patch at all :-)

From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-01 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cwilson; +Cc: cygwin

> gzipped and uuencoded, then pasted into the email is not good?

No, unless your mailer will corrupt them otherwise.

If you encode or attach them, instead of just pasting them, then I
can't just hit (R)eply to comment on them, and I can't read them in my
mailer - I have to save them to disk first, then bring them up in a
separate editor, then paste them back into the mailer to comment on
them.

If your "file attach" function attaches them as plain 8-bit unencoded
text (not base64 or quoted-printable), that's acceptable, because MIME
basically leaves it as unchanged text.  It's harder to read when
mimeified, but I can still actually read it in the mailer.

Perhaps you have some strange belief that I apply patches without
actually *reading* them first?  ;-)

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-01 14:35             ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-09-01 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

DJ Delorie wrote:

> > gzipped and uuencoded, then pasted into the email is not good?
>
> No, unless your mailer will corrupt them otherwise.
>
> If you encode or attach them, instead of just pasting them, then I
> can't just hit (R)eply to comment on them, and I can't read them in my
> mailer - I have to save them to disk first, then bring them up in a
> separate editor, then paste them back into the mailer to comment on
> them.
>
> If your "file attach" function attaches them as plain 8-bit unencoded
> text (not base64 or quoted-printable), that's acceptable, because MIME
> basically leaves it as unchanged text.  It's harder to read when
> mimeified, but I can still actually read it in the mailer.

Oh, ok.  Most other mailing lists specify gz.uue, so I just assummed...I
mean, a .gz.uue message is virtually guaranteed to arrive in exactly the
same form as it was transmitted -- no tab->space stuff, no line
wrapping, quoted-printable-munging, etc.

That's the upside. The downside is just as you say: you can't 'reply' or
comment on parts of the patch, without lots of gymnastics.

> Perhaps you have some strange belief that I apply patches without
> actually *reading* them first?  ;-)

No, of course not. I just thought you did it the hard way.

--Chuck

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-01 14:37               ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-01 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cwilson; +Cc: cygwin

> Oh, ok.  Most other mailing lists specify gz.uue,

Hmmm.... all the lists I'm on (mostly GNU lists) specify inline text.
But, I did say *if* it will arrive uncorrupted.

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-01 14:39                 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-01 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 05:37:24PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>Oh, ok.  Most other mailing lists specify gz.uue,
>
>Hmmm....  all the lists I'm on (mostly GNU lists) specify inline text.
>But, I did say *if* it will arrive uncorrupted.

Ditto.  I've even seen a complaint recently because someone posted
uuencoded text.

cgf

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-01 14:45                   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-09-01 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 05:37:24PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> >>Oh, ok.  Most other mailing lists specify gz.uue,
> >
> >Hmmm....  all the lists I'm on (mostly GNU lists) specify inline text.
> >But, I did say *if* it will arrive uncorrupted.
>
> Ditto.  I've even seen a complaint recently because someone posted
> uuencoded text.

Okay, I give! :-)  No more .gz.uue patches, I promise!

I went back and spot-checked: gcc.gnu.org sez --

We accept patches as plain text (preferred for the compilers
themselves), MIME attachments (preferred for the web pages), or as
uuencoded gzipped text.

So, gz.uue is the *least* preferable, but still (marginally) acceptable
option. In other words, do plain text or MIME, please. Got it.

--Chuck

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-01 16:16         ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2000-09-01 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

DJ Delorie wrote:
> Ok, it's not always that easy

Yep, I tried make and it didn't like and I realized I was in the wrong
directory so I went up to src and tried and it still didn't like make and
then I found the README which told me I needed to run configure.  Once I
did that make was off and running.

I may have found one problem though - I only ran configure at the top
level and then it appeared that make runs configure in all the lower
directories where needed except when it got to cygwin then it died saying
no rules and generated an errno 2.  I cd'd to /src/winsup/cygwin and ran
configure thinking that might be it and then went back to /src and ran
make again and it seemed to continue.

Now however it has died again in winsup and this time looking at the
config.log it tells me the following:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:577: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:661: checking host system type
configure:682: checking target system type
configure:700: checking build system type
configure:732: checking for gcc
configure:849: checking whether we are using GNU C
configure:858: gcc -E conftest.c
configure:873: checking whether gcc accepts -g
configure:921: checking for ar
configure:988: checking for as
configure:1055: checking for ranlib
configure:1122: checking for ld
configure:1189: checking for dlltool
configure:1256: checking for windres
configure:1322: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:1343: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:1404: checking for working alloca.h
configure:1416: gcc -o conftest -gstabs+ -O2   conftest.c 1>&5
configure:1410: alloca.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 1409 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <alloca.h>
int main() {
char *p = alloca(2 * sizeof(int));
; return 0; }
configure:1437: checking for alloca
configure:1470: gcc -o conftest -gstabs+ -O2   conftest.c 1>&5
configure:1638: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:1688: g++ -c $(CFLAGS)  conftest.C 1>&5
g++: $(CFLAGS): No such file or directory
configure: In function `void foo(char *, int, unsigned int)':
configure:1680: implicit declaration of function `int
__builtin_memset(...)'
configure: failed program was:
#line 1675 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#include <string.h>
void foo(char *s, int c, size_t n)
{
   __builtin_memset(s, c, n);
}

int main()
{
; return 0; }

configure:1798: checking if newlib is part of the build tree
configure:1813: checking if installed newlib needed
configure:1823: gcc -o conftest -gstabs+ -O2   conftest.c  1>&5

Got any idea what I am missing and/or what I did wrong.  Thanks for
helping me along.

Brian

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-01 16:22           ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-01 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkeener; +Cc: cygwin

The trick is this:

Don't run configure in the source directory.  Always build somewhere
else.

Example session:

$ cvs get winsup
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ ../src/configure
$ make

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-05 14:18         ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2000-09-05 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

Okay - we're moving on now.  So we have made our changes and we have
prepared the diff and our ChangeLog entry and e-mailed that off to
cygwin-patches.  Do we or are we supposed to get an e-mail
acknowledgement back or do we just wait to see if our changes make the
next release.  The reason I ask is because on the change I submitted for
setup the checkboxes I added are not defaulting properly - it is a minor
problem but they are always checked at first and should be based on
whether the file exists. I have a correction for this problem but I would
assume you don't want the whole change again and only want the newest
diff - so I assume I wait for the change to hit the CVS.  What is the
normal procedure for this.

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-05 14:29           ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-05 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bkeener; +Cc: cygwin

You can either submit a replacement patch, or submit a patch that
depends on the previous patch being applied (you don't have to wait
for CVS if you can figure out how to make the patch anyway).  Your
choice at the moment, I haven't gotten a chance to install your
previous patch yet today.

I normally don't send an email back until I get around to either
applying or rejecting the patch.

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-06  7:15             ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-09-06  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

Would it be useful to summarise this thread and add an entry to the
FAQ?

David

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-06  8:09               ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-06  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 03:15:34PM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>Would it be useful to summarise this thread and add an entry to the
>FAQ?
>
>David

Send a ChangeLog entry.

Send a diff created using 'diff -up'.

cgf

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-06  9:32 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-06  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 03:15:34PM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
> >Would it be useful to summarise this thread and add an entry to the
> >FAQ?
> >
> >David
>
> Send a ChangeLog entry.

ChangeLog:
On September 6th, 2000 Earnie Boyd changed module bar in file foo.c

> Send a diff created using 'diff -up'.

Attached:
foo.c.diff.tar.gz.uuencode

Cheers,

=====
--- < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com > ---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: Instructions for submitting patches
@ 2000-09-06  9:20 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-06  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning, DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

--- David Starks-Browning <starksb@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> Would it be useful to summarise this thread and add an entry to the
> FAQ?

Or maybe a chapter in the documentation.  The the FAQ could refer to that
reference.

Cheers,

=====