* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 11:19 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-26 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Nolte, kulack; +Cc: cygwin

--- Erik Nolte <enolte@campuspipeline.com> wrote:
> > > The obvious answer is to stop using DOS style paths with cygwin cd's.
> > > Unfortunately, what I'm really doing is "cd $SRC_PATH" where SRC_PATH is
> > > "W:/src".  SRC_PATH must be a DOS style path to keep javac and other
> > > windows-based software happy (they can't grok paths without drive
> > letters).
> >
> > Use cygpath...
> > >cygpath -u -p c:/
> > /
> >
> > In your example, something like:
> > cd $(cygpath -u -p $SRC_PATH)
> > would probably work.
>

> I wish I could, unfortunately the cd's are inside makefiles and scripts that
> run both on cygwin/NT/Win2K and on Solaris.  And the Suns aren't too happy
> about cygpath.  I can hack around the problem by unsetting CDPATH or
> creating a SHELL_SRC_PATH (/c) and a APP_SRC_PATH (c:/).  The interesting
> thing is that B20.1 didn't exhibit the problem.  How compatible should 1.1.4
> be with B20.1?
>
> I'm under the impression that B20.1 is obsolete and that Cygnus (or at least
> the cygwin developers) would prefer people using 1.1.x.  Is that true or
> should we wait until 2.0?

Waiting isn't going to fix any problems.  Changes, IIRC, make itself changed
versions.  I can successfully `cd c:/temp' from the bash prompt so that itself
isn't a problem.  You mention that you have CDPATH set, what is it set to?  If
CDPATH itself contains a ":" character it is used as a list separator, so DOS
paths can't exist in CDPATH unless the "\" quoting character precedes the ":".

HTH,

=====
--- < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com > ---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 12:22 ` Erik Nolte
From: Erik Nolte @ 2000-09-26 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd, kulack; +Cc: cygwin

> I can successfully `cd c:/temp' from the bash prompt so that itself
> isn't a problem.  You mention that you have CDPATH set, what is it set to?
If
> CDPATH itself contains a ":" character it is used as a list separator, so
DOS
> paths can't exist in CDPATH unless the "\" quoting character precedes the
":".

I have a CDPATH of UNIX-style directories:

.:/w//src/com/pipeline:/w/:/w//src:/w//docs:/w//src/html:/w//src/com/pipelin
e/ab

m:/w//src/com/pipeline/ad:/w//src/com/pipeline/addrbk:/w//src/com/pipeline/a
dmin

:/w//src/com/pipeline/aio:/w//src/com/pipeline/alert:/w//src/com/pipeline/ap
plic
    ations:/w//src/com/pipeline/awt:/w//src/com/pipeline/bom

B20.1 must have recognized that w:/ is an absolute path while 1.1.4 doesn't
think so.  And somehow "." in CDPATH triggers the problem.

Try this:

    export CDPATH=/c:/d
    cd d:/
    <you should just see the command prompt>

then try:

    export CDPATH=/c:/d:.
    cd d:/
    <you should see "d:" and then the command prompt on the next line>

The question is why does adding "." to CDPATH cause "d:/" to be interpreted
as a relative path?

- Erik

* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 12:30   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-26 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 01:26:20PM -0600, Erik Nolte wrote:
>B20.1 must have recognized that w:/ is an absolute path while 1.1.4 doesn't
>think so.  And somehow "." in CDPATH triggers the problem.

It is *not* B20.1 that is an issue here.  It is *bash*.  There are (obviously)
different versions of bash in older cygwin releases than there were in
newer releases.

Rather than endlessly speculating about this, can someone look at the code and
find out what is going on???  I sincerely doubt that there will be a simple
workaround for this problem that does not involve changing bash.

cgf

* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
       [not found]   ` <002b01c02819$1508b700$c4acb018@home.com>
@ 2000-09-26 17:22     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-26 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Nolte; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 06:22:54PM -0600, Erik Nolte wrote:
>> Regardless, the first line of attack is to see what bash is doing and stop
>> talking about it.
>
>Can you tell me where the bash source is kept?  The cygwin home page only
>mentions the winsup repository for cygwin itself.

The sources and binaries for all of the products are in .tar.gz files
at ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/latest/ .

We try not to put things like bash into the sources.redhat.com CVS repository
since that would cause confusion with the FSF's version at ftp.gnu.org.

cgf

* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 16:53 ` Chris Faylor
       [not found]   ` <002b01c02819$1508b700$c4acb018@home.com>
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-26 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 01:16:47PM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 01:26:20PM -0600, Erik Nolte wrote:
>> >B20.1 must have recognized that w:/ is an absolute path while 1.1.4 doesn't
>> >think so.  And somehow "." in CDPATH triggers the problem.
>>
>> It is *not* B20.1 that is an issue here.  It is *bash*.  There are
>> (obviously)
>> different versions of bash in older cygwin releases than there were in
>> newer releases.
>>

>Well, actually, the changes to allow Cygwin to recognize d:/ as a Win32
>absolute path have IMO caused the change.

I doubt it.  There was no change in Cygwin with respect to d:/foo other
than to avoid trying to resolve d:/foo through cygwin's mount table.
This seems like it is very much a bash problem.

Regardless, the first line of attack is to see what bash is doing and stop
talking about it.  I will do the latter and hopefully someone to whom this
matters will do the former.

cgf

* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 13:16 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-26 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 01:26:20PM -0600, Erik Nolte wrote:
> >B20.1 must have recognized that w:/ is an absolute path while 1.1.4 doesn't
> >think so.  And somehow "." in CDPATH triggers the problem.
>
> It is *not* B20.1 that is an issue here.  It is *bash*.  There are
> (obviously)
> different versions of bash in older cygwin releases than there were in
> newer releases.

Well, actually, the changes to allow Cygwin to recognize d:/ as a Win32
absolute path have IMO caused the change.

> Rather than endlessly speculating about this, can someone look at the code
> and find out what is going on???  I sincerely doubt that there will be a
> simple workaround for this problem that does not involve changing bash.

I agree, bash now needs to be taught that d:/ and d:\ are absolute paths.

Cheers,

=====

@ 2000-09-26 13:12 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-26 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Nolte, kulack; +Cc: cygwin

--- Erik Nolte <enolte@campuspipeline.com> wrote:
> > I can successfully `cd c:/temp' from the bash prompt so that itself
> > isn't a problem.  You mention that you have CDPATH set, what is it set to?
> If
> > CDPATH itself contains a ":" character it is used as a list separator, so
> DOS
> > paths can't exist in CDPATH unless the "\" quoting character precedes the
> ":".
>
> I have a CDPATH of UNIX-style directories:
>

> .:/w//src/com/pipeline:/w/:/w//src:/w//docs:/w//src/html:/w//src/com/pipelin
> e/ab
>
> m:/w//src/com/pipeline/ad:/w//src/com/pipeline/addrbk:/w//src/com/pipeline/a
> dmin
>
> :/w//src/com/pipeline/aio:/w//src/com/pipeline/alert:/w//src/com/pipeline/ap
> plic
>     ations:/w//src/com/pipeline/awt:/w//src/com/pipeline/bom
>
> B20.1 must have recognized that w:/ is an absolute path while 1.1.4 doesn't
> think so.  And somehow "." in CDPATH triggers the problem.

You've not really listed w:/ in CDPATH you have /w// which isn't the same as
w:/.

> Try this:
>
>     export CDPATH=/c:/d
>     cd d:/
>     <you should just see the command prompt>

Ok. Tried and I see your results.

> then try:
>
>     export CDPATH=/c:/d:.
>     cd d:/
>     <you should see "d:" and then the command prompt on the next line>

Ok. Tried and I see your results.  I also tried cd /d and I the result is as
expected.

> The question is why does adding "." to CDPATH cause "d:/" to be interpreted
> as a relative path?

Just to eliminate the bash-2.04 vs bash-2.03 criteria, I'm using bash-2.03
while Cygwin now ships with bash-2.04.  I don't have b20.1 to play with it so I
can't see what the difference is.  My guess is that the changes Corinna made
that make Cygwin now interpret a path with a `:' in offset position 1 as an
absolute win32 path has a lot to do with the difference.

This being the case, as Chris has already stated, the only patch worth making
is to bash itself.  Bash needs to be taught that [a-zA-Z]:/ is an absolute
path.

Cheers,

=====

@ 2000-09-26 11:25 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2000-09-26 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
> cygwin cd's.
> where SRC_PATH is
> javac and other
> >> letters).
> >>
> >> Use cygpath...
> >> /
> >>
> >> In your example, something like:
> >> cd $(cygpath -u -p $SRC_PATH)
> >> would probably work.
> >

> >I wish I could, unfortunately the cd's are inside makefiles
> and scripts that
> >run both on cygwin/NT/Win2K and on Solaris.  And the Suns
> aren't too happy
> >about cygpath.  I can hack around the problem by unsetting CDPATH or
> >creating a SHELL_SRC_PATH (/c) and a APP_SRC_PATH (c:/).
>
> FWIW, I haven't seen anyone mention that this is a *bash*
> idiosyncrasy.  Bash is
> apparently not dealing well with c:\foo style paths, which is
> hardly surprising.

We had the same kind of problems in our port of UNIX tools to Windows
(having the tools correctly handling X:/foo as an absolute path) and the
only solution we found was looking at all the places in our source code base
where we compare something with '/' then manually check iw we were looking
for an absolute path, then if true recode it to call some locally defined
macro (IS_ABSOLUTE_PATH) that depending on the platform either check the
first char (on UNIX) or call some function that is able to handle drive
letters correctly ;-(

We were quite reluctant at having to do that but we do not find any other
way to handle correctly DOS-style path names. Note that we even have more
hard time trying to handle DOS-style path names in UNIX-style
(':'-separated) path lists, but this is another story :-) (I can describe
how we do that if anybody is interested).

> I doubt that these problems show up in Solaris since there is
> no possibility
> that you'll ever see a x:\ path there.

I think what he wants to say is that he can't rewrite its makefile rules
using cd `cygpath ${SRC_DIR}` as Solaris will choke on cygpath :-) and he
has to have the same makefiles for UNIX and CYGWIN (after all this *was* the
reason of creating cygwin: be able to port UNIX packages to Windows).

Just my .02EUR

	Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE
FRANCE
Tel:	+33 (0) 1 47 68 80 80
Fax:	+33 (0) 1 47 88 97 85
e-mail:	dautrevaux@microprocess.com
		b.dautrevaux@usa.net

* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 10:57   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-26 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 11:40:54AM -0600, Erik Nolte wrote:
>> > The obvious answer is to stop using DOS style paths with cygwin cd's.
>> > Unfortunately, what I'm really doing is "cd $SRC_PATH" where SRC_PATH is
>> > "W:/src".  SRC_PATH must be a DOS style path to keep javac and other
>> > windows-based software happy (they can't grok paths without drive
>> letters).
>>
>> Use cygpath...
>> >cygpath -u -p c:/
>> /
>>
>> In your example, something like:
>> cd $(cygpath -u -p $SRC_PATH)
>> would probably work.
>

>I wish I could, unfortunately the cd's are inside makefiles and scripts that
>run both on cygwin/NT/Win2K and on Solaris.  And the Suns aren't too happy
>about cygpath.  I can hack around the problem by unsetting CDPATH or
>creating a SHELL_SRC_PATH (/c) and a APP_SRC_PATH (c:/).  The interesting
>thing is that B20.1 didn't exhibit the problem.  How compatible should 1.1.4
>be with B20.1?
>
>I'm under the impression that B20.1 is obsolete and that Cygnus (or at least
>the cygwin developers) would prefer people using 1.1.x.  Is that true or
>should we wait until 2.0?

Check the cygwin web page at http://www.cygwin.com/ and draw your own conclusions.
See if it mentions "2.0" and what it says about "B20.1".

FWIW, I haven't seen anyone mention that this is a *bash* idiosyncrasy.  Bash is
apparently not dealing well with c:\foo style paths, which is hardly surprising.

I doubt that these problems show up in Solaris since there is no possibility
that you'll ever see a x:\ path there.  I'm not sure why you are not using
POSIX paths for what you need to do but if you need to use x:\ paths in bash
your best alternative is to investigate the problem in the bash source and
offer a fix to the bash maintainer.

cgf

* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 10:56 ` Bob McGowan
From: Bob McGowan @ 2000-09-26 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Nolte; +Cc: cygwin

Others have commented on the use of cygpath, and I have seen your
response, so I will not add to that part of the discussion.

Regarding the CDPATH variable, I just did some experiments with various
types of paths.  It looks like it will print the path cd'd to, if there
is a possibility that the path was the result of a cd to one of the
other directories in the variable.  Put another way, if the path
argument to cd is either absolute (begins with a slash) OR begins with
either a dot or a dotdot, there is only one place to go.  But a 'cd tmp'
could get you to /tmp or /var/tmp (or others, if present).

And this happens both interactively and in scripts.  I had this problem
with a Solaris ksh script (/usr/bin/dircmp), when I had CDPATH set, when
it changed directory I'd get this 'spurious' output.  I ended up having
to unset CDPATH when I ran this script.

And finally, by the above criteria, the dos directory names that start
with a drive letter are going to match the "print the new current
directory" case and will generate output.

Erik Nolte wrote:

> [...]
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\10
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\11
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\12
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\13
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\14
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\15
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\16
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\17
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\18
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\19
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\1D
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32
>
> a:  fd           N/A    N/A
> c:  hd  FAT32   6748Mb  11% CP    UN
> d:  hd  NTFS    7051Mb  51% CP CS UN PA FC
> e:  fd           N/A    N/A
> f:  hd  FAT32   1000Mb  85% CP    UN           DATA
> g:  cd           N/A    N/A
> h:  cd           N/A    N/A
> w:  hd  NTFS    7051Mb  51% CP CS UN PA FC
>
> D:\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  user    binmode
> D:\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  user    binmode
> D:\cygwin  /        user    binmode
> c:    /c       user    textmode
> d:    /d       user    textmode
> f:    /f       user    textmode
> w:    /w       user    textmode
>
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\cat.exe
> Found: w:\3rd-party\NT\cpp.exe
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\find.exe
> Not Found: gcc
> Not Found: gdb
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\ld.exe
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\make.exe
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe
>
>   586k 2000/08/04 D:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0

Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer
VERITAS Software
rmcgowan@veritas.com

* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 10:37 ` Erik Nolte
From: Erik Nolte @ 2000-09-26 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kulack; +Cc: cygwin

> > The obvious answer is to stop using DOS style paths with cygwin cd's.
> > Unfortunately, what I'm really doing is "cd $SRC_PATH" where SRC_PATH is
> > "W:/src".  SRC_PATH must be a DOS style path to keep javac and other
> > windows-based software happy (they can't grok paths without drive
> letters).
>
> Use cygpath...
> >cygpath -u -p c:/
> /
>
> In your example, something like:
> cd $(cygpath -u -p $SRC_PATH)
> would probably work.

I wish I could, unfortunately the cd's are inside makefiles and scripts that
run both on cygwin/NT/Win2K and on Solaris.  And the Suns aren't too happy
about cygpath.  I can hack around the problem by unsetting CDPATH or
creating a SHELL_SRC_PATH (/c) and a APP_SRC_PATH (c:/).  The interesting
thing is that B20.1 didn't exhibit the problem.  How compatible should 1.1.4
be with B20.1?

I'm under the impression that B20.1 is obsolete and that Cygnus (or at least
the cygwin developers) would prefer people using 1.1.x.  Is that true or
should we wait until 2.0?

Thanks!
- Erik

* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 10:11 kulack
From: kulack @ 2000-09-26 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Nolte; +Cc: cygwin

/

@ 2000-09-26 10:03 Schaible, Joerg
From: Schaible, Joerg @ 2000-09-26 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Nolte; +Cc: cygwin-list

Hi Erik,

> Unfortunately, what I'm really doing is "cd $SRC_PATH" where
> SRC_PATH is
> "W:/src".  SRC_PATH must be a DOS style path to keep javac and other
> windows-based software happy (they can't grok paths without
> drive letters).

Why don't you keep your SRC_PATH in real DOS style and convert it when
needed ? I do this myself for e.g. for CLASSPATH (I don't need this in
Cygwin style normally, except when I add paths automatically read by the
registry).

export SRC_PATH=c:\\source
cd `cygpath -u $SRC_PATH`

Greetings,