* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 13:16 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-26 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 01:26:20PM -0600, Erik Nolte wrote:
> >B20.1 must have recognized that w:/ is an absolute path while 1.1.4 doesn't
> >think so.  And somehow "." in CDPATH triggers the problem.
>
> It is *not* B20.1 that is an issue here.  It is *bash*.  There are
> (obviously)
> different versions of bash in older cygwin releases than there were in
> newer releases.

Well, actually, the changes to allow Cygwin to recognize d:/ as a Win32
absolute path have IMO caused the change.

> Rather than endlessly speculating about this, can someone look at the code
> and find out what is going on???  I sincerely doubt that there will be a
> simple workaround for this problem that does not involve changing bash.

I agree, bash now needs to be taught that d:/ and d:\ are absolute paths.

Cheers,

=====
--- < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com > ---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26 13:12 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-26 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Nolte, kulack; +Cc: cygwin

--- Erik Nolte <enolte@campuspipeline.com> wrote:
> > I can successfully `cd c:/temp' from the bash prompt so that itself
> > isn't a problem.  You mention that you have CDPATH set, what is it set to?
> If
> > CDPATH itself contains a ":" character it is used as a list separator, so
> DOS
> > paths can't exist in CDPATH unless the "\" quoting character precedes the
> ":".
>
> I have a CDPATH of UNIX-style directories:
>

> .:/w//src/com/pipeline:/w/:/w//src:/w//docs:/w//src/html:/w//src/com/pipelin
> e/ab
>
> m:/w//src/com/pipeline/ad:/w//src/com/pipeline/addrbk:/w//src/com/pipeline/a
> dmin
>
> :/w//src/com/pipeline/aio:/w//src/com/pipeline/alert:/w//src/com/pipeline/ap
> plic
>     ations:/w//src/com/pipeline/awt:/w//src/com/pipeline/bom
>
> B20.1 must have recognized that w:/ is an absolute path while 1.1.4 doesn't
> think so.  And somehow "." in CDPATH triggers the problem.

You've not really listed w:/ in CDPATH you have /w// which isn't the same as
w:/.

> Try this:
>
>     export CDPATH=/c:/d
>     cd d:/
>     <you should just see the command prompt>

Ok. Tried and I see your results.

> then try:
>
>     export CDPATH=/c:/d:.
>     cd d:/
>     <you should see "d:" and then the command prompt on the next line>

Ok. Tried and I see your results.  I also tried cd /d and I the result is as
expected.

> The question is why does adding "." to CDPATH cause "d:/" to be interpreted
> as a relative path?

Just to eliminate the bash-2.04 vs bash-2.03 criteria, I'm using bash-2.03
while Cygwin now ships with bash-2.04.  I don't have b20.1 to play with it so I
can't see what the difference is.  My guess is that the changes Corinna made
that make Cygwin now interpret a path with a `:' in offset position 1 as an
absolute win32 path has a lot to do with the difference.

This being the case, as Chris has already stated, the only patch worth making
is to bash itself.  Bash needs to be taught that [a-zA-Z]:/ is an absolute
path.

Cheers,

=====

@ 2000-09-26 11:25 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2000-09-26 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-26 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Nolte, kulack; +Cc: cygwin

--- Erik Nolte <enolte@campuspipeline.com> wrote:
> > > The obvious answer is to stop using DOS style paths with cygwin cd's.
> > > Unfortunately, what I'm really doing is "cd $SRC_PATH" where SRC_PATH is
> > > "W:/src".  SRC_PATH must be a DOS style path to keep javac and other
> > > windows-based software happy (they can't grok paths without drive
> > letters).
> >
> > Use cygpath...
> > >cygpath -u -p c:/
> > /
> >
> > In your example, something like:
> > cd $(cygpath -u -p $SRC_PATH)
> > would probably work.
>

> I wish I could, unfortunately the cd's are inside makefiles and scripts that
> run both on cygwin/NT/Win2K and on Solaris.  And the Suns aren't too happy
> about cygpath.  I can hack around the problem by unsetting CDPATH or
> creating a SHELL_SRC_PATH (/c) and a APP_SRC_PATH (c:/).  The interesting
> thing is that B20.1 didn't exhibit the problem.  How compatible should 1.1.4
> be with B20.1?
>
> I'm under the impression that B20.1 is obsolete and that Cygnus (or at least
> the cygwin developers) would prefer people using 1.1.x.  Is that true or
> should we wait until 2.0?

Waiting isn't going to fix any problems.  Changes, IIRC, make itself changed
versions.  I can successfully `cd c:/temp' from the bash prompt so that itself
isn't a problem.  You mention that you have CDPATH set, what is it set to?  If
CDPATH itself contains a ":" character it is used as a list separator, so DOS
paths can't exist in CDPATH unless the "\" quoting character precedes the ":".

HTH,

=====

@ 2000-09-26 10:11 kulack
From: kulack @ 2000-09-26 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Nolte; +Cc: cygwin

/

@ 2000-09-26 10:03 Schaible, Joerg
From: Schaible, Joerg @ 2000-09-26 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Nolte; +Cc: cygwin-list

Hi Erik,

> Unfortunately, what I'm really doing is "cd $SRC_PATH" where
> SRC_PATH is
> "W:/src".  SRC_PATH must be a DOS style path to keep javac and other
> windows-based software happy (they can't grok paths without
> drive letters).

Why don't you keep your SRC_PATH in real DOS style and convert it when
needed ? I do this myself for e.g. for CLASSPATH (I don't need this in
Cygwin style normally, except when I add paths automatically read by the
registry).

export SRC_PATH=c:\\source
cd `cygpath -u $SRC_PATH`

Greetings,
Jörg

* Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
@ 2000-09-26  9:29 Erik Nolte
From: Erik Nolte @ 2000-09-26  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When I combine a CDPATH containing "." and a cd to a DOS style path, cd
echos the cd'd directory.  That's the behavior I'd expect in an interactive
shell, but not within a script.

For example,
    #!/bin/bash
    export CDPATH=.
    echo `cd c:/; ls`
produces
    /c AUTOEXEC.BAT AUTOEXEC.DOS BOOTLOG.PRV BOOTLOG.TXT BOOTSECT.DOS ...
notice the leading "/c".

If CDPATH doesn't contain ".", "/c" doesn't appear:
    #!/bin/bash
    export CDPATH=/c:/d
    echo `cd c:/; ls`
produces
    AUTOEXEC.BAT AUTOEXEC.DOS BOOTLOG.PRV BOOTLOG.TXT BOOTSECT.DOS ...
notice there's no "/c".

The problem doesn't occur if I use UNIX style paths for the cd, i.e. echo
`cd /c; ls` works as expected.

The obvious answer is to stop using DOS style paths with cygwin cd's.
Unfortunately, what I'm really doing is "cd $SRC_PATH" where SRC_PATH is
"W:/src".  SRC_PATH must be a DOS style path to keep javac and other
windows-based software happy (they can't grok paths without drive letters).
Another workaround is to unset CDPATH in each script.

I can't find the cygwin bash source code, so I'm unable to poke around on my
own.  Is there a common place the cygwin application sources are kept, e.g.
bash, textutils, fileutils, etc?

------------------
Here's my config:

/home/erik 586> cygcheck -s -r -v

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Tue Sep 26 10:28:30 2000

WinNT Ver 5.0 build 2195 Service Pack 1

        /usr/bin
        /usr/bin
        /d/gsj31/bin
        /d/WINNT/system32
        /d/WINNT
        /d/WINNT/System32/Wbem
        /d/vim/vim57
        /w/bin
        /w/src/bin
        /w/3rd-party/NT
        /e/pipeline/build/bin
        .

SysDir: D:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: D:\WINNT

HOME = `/home/erik'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
PWD = `/home/erik'
USER = `erik sean nolte'

!D: = `D:\cygwin\bin'
ALLUSERSPROFILE = `D:\Documents and Settings\All Users'
APPDATA = `D:\Documents and Settings\Erik Sean Nolte\Application Data'
BLASTER = `A220 I5 D1 T4 '
CDPATH =
`.:/w//src/com/pipeline:/w/:/w//src:/w//docs:/w//src/html:/w//src/com/p
ipeline/CVS:/w//src/com/pipeline/Makefile:/w//src/com/pipeline/abm:/w//src/c
om/p
ipeline/ad:/w//src/com/pipeline/addrbk:/w//src/com/pipeline/admin:/w//src/co
m/pi
peline/aio:/w//src/com/pipeline/alert:/w//src/com/pipeline/applications:/w//
src/
com/pipeline/awt:/w//src/com/pipeline/bom:/w//src/com/pipeline/build.mak:/w/
/src
/com/pipeline/cad:/w//src/com/pipeline/campus:/w//src/com/pipeline/collabora
tion
:/w//src/com/pipeline/content:/w//src/com/pipeline/core:/w//src/com/pipeline
/cpt
ool:/w//src/com/pipeline/criteria:/w//src/com/pipeline/db:/w//src/com/pipeli
ne/d
c:/w//src/com/pipeline/devonly:/w//src/com/pipeline/diagnostics:/w//src/com/
pipe
line/doctemplate:/w//src/com/pipeline/ds:/w//src/com/pipeline/dxp:/w//src/co
m/pi
peline/email:/w//src/com/pipeline/error:/w//src/com/pipeline/extsys:/w//src/
com/
pipeline/framework:/w//src/com/pipeline/gist:/w//src/com/pipeline/install:/w
//sr
c/com/pipeline/io:/w//src/com/pipeline/jndi:/w//src/com/pipeline/lang:/w//sr
c/co
m/pipeline/log:/w//src/com/pipeline/messageboard:/w//src/com/pipeline/migrat
ion:
/w//src/com/pipeline/mypipe:/w//src/com/pipeline/naming:/w//src/com/pipeline
/net
:/w//src/com/pipeline/oid:/w//src/com/pipeline/performance:/w//src/com/pipel
ine/
portal:/w//src/com/pipeline/schoolsvc:/w//src/com/pipeline/sctip:/w//src/com
/pip
eline/sdk:/w//src/com/pipeline/security:/w//src/com/pipeline/support:/w//src
/com
/pipeline/system:/w//src/com/pipeline/test:/w//src/com/pipeline/testold:/w//
src/
com/pipeline/tools:/w//src/com/pipeline/topnav:/w//src/com/pipeline/util:/w/
/src
/com/pipeline/web:/w//src/com/pipeline/webad:/w//src/com/pipeline/webutils:/
w//s
rc/com/pipeline/woo:/w//src/com/pipeline/xml'
COMMONPROGRAMFILES = `D:\Program Files\Common Files'
COMPUTERNAME = `C1144585-A'
COMSPEC = `D:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe'
CP_DOC_ROOT = `d:/Netscape/SuiteSpot/docs'
CP_ROOT = `w:/'
CP_WEB_ROOT = `d:/Netscape/SuiteSpot'
GEMSTONE = `D:\gsj31'
HOMEDRIVE = `D:'
HOMEPATH = `\'
HOST = `c1144585-a'
HOSTNAME = `C1144585-A'
HOSTTYPE = `i586'
LOGONSERVER = `\\C1144585-A'
MACHTYPE = `i586-pc-cygwin'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `1'
OLDPWD = `/f/cygwin/src/winsup'
OS2LIBPATH = `D:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;'
OS = `Windows_NT'
OSTYPE = `cygwin'
PATHEXT = `.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `6'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `0502'
PROGRAMFILES = `D:\Program Files'
PROMPT = `$P$G'
PS1 = `$PWD \!> '
SHELL = `/bin/sh'
SHLVL = `1'
SUN_JVM = `d:/jdk1.2.2/bin/java'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `D:'
SYSTEMROOT = `D:\WINNT'
TEMP = `/d/DOCUME~1/ERIKSE~1/LOCALS~1/Temp'
TERM = `cygwin'
USERDOMAIN = `C1144585-A'
USERNAME = `Erik Sean Nolte'
USERPROFILE = `D:\Documents and Settings\Erik Sean Nolte'
VIM = `D:\vim\vim57'
WINDIR = `D:\WINNT'
_ = `/usr/bin/cygcheck'
TZ = `MST7MDT6,M4.1.0/2,M10.5.0/2'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `D:/cygwin'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/c
  (default) = `c:'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/d
  (default) = `d:'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/f
  (default) = `f:'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin
  (default) = `D:/cygwin/bin'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib
  (default) = `D:/cygwin/lib'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/w
  (default) = `w:'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
  (default) = `w:'
  unix = `/w'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
  (default) = `D:'
  unix = `/'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
er\S
tart Menu\Programs\Cygnus Solutions
  (default) = (unsupported type)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32

a:  fd           N/A    N/A
c:  hd  FAT32   6748Mb  11% CP    UN
d:  hd  NTFS    7051Mb  51% CP CS UN PA FC
e:  fd           N/A    N/A
f:  hd  FAT32   1000Mb  85% CP    UN           DATA
g:  cd           N/A    N/A
h:  cd           N/A    N/A
w:  hd  NTFS    7051Mb  51% CP CS UN PA FC

D:\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  user    binmode
D:\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  user    binmode
D:\cygwin  /        user    binmode
c:    /c       user    textmode
d:    /d       user    textmode
f:    /f       user    textmode
w:    /w       user    textmode

Found: D:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
Found: D:\cygwin\bin\cat.exe
Found: w:\3rd-party\NT\cpp.exe
Found: D:\cygwin\bin\find.exe
Not Found: gcc
Not Found: gdb
Found: D:\cygwin\bin\ld.exe
Found: D:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
Found: D:\cygwin\bin\make.exe
Found: D:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe

  586k 2000/08/04 D:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/8/3 18:53
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 1001
        dll minor: 4