* Re: Cygwin running from CD and symlinks
@ 2000-10-02 13:34 Rui-Tao Dong
From: Rui-Tao Dong @ 2000-10-02 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 Larry> Sorry but this isn't enough information to help you determine
 Larry> why this is the case.  However, if you edit the symlink file
 Larry> itself in notepad or some editor that doesn't grok Cygwin,
 Larry> you'll see the symlink you created and this may help you
 Larry> determine why you don't see what you expect to see.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear enough.  I install Cygwin tree with
other goodies on a Samba volume exported from a Linux machine.  It
works fine on client machines.  However, when I am in the Lab or on
the floor, machines are not always networked.  I made a CD from Linux
side and try to achieve the same thing.  he file content on the CD is
correct, (!<symlink>xemacs-21.1.10.exe^@), with a permission of
r--r--r--.  However, it is not recognized as symlink by Cygwin.  I
read the Cygwin doc and it mentioned system bit.  What is it in Unix
terms?  How do I set it with mkisofs?

--

Regards,

			Rui-Tao (x31679)

* Re: Cygwin running from CD and symlinks
@ 2000-10-02 13:41 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-10-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 01:34:30PM -0700, Rui-Tao Dong wrote:
>I made a CD from Linux side and try to achieve the same thing.  he file
>content on the CD is correct, (!<symlink>xemacs-21.1.10.exe^@), with a
>permission of r--r--r--.  However, it is not recognized as symlink by
>Cygwin.  I read the Cygwin doc and it mentioned system bit.  What is it
>in Unix terms?  How do I set it with mkisofs?

http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC54

cgf

* Re: Cygwin running from CD and symlinks
@ 2000-10-02 17:07 ` Chris Abbey
From: Chris Abbey @ 2000-10-02 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>But it works just fine from Samba.  Cygwin doesn't follow symlink AFTER I
>dumped it to a CD.

I suspect that in order to get the system bit back you have to mount that
iso filesystem and re-export it via samba, with the system bit mapped
again. The reason being that Samba is mapping the system bit to the "group
execute" bit in ext2fs, I'm not sure how that is mapped into iso9660, but
I've got to think Windows won't grok it; let alone be able to perform the
needed reverse mapping.

Perhaps iso9660 isn't the best choice of formats... I know my windows
based burner software seems incapable of preserving the system attribute
at all; even with joliet and rockridge formats.

* Re: Cygwin running from CD and symlinks
@ 2000-10-02 14:35 Rui-Tao Dong
From: Rui-Tao Dong @ 2000-10-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 Chris> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC54

But it works just fine from Samba.  Cygwin doesn't follow symlink AFTER I
dumped it to a CD.

--
Regards,

	Dr. Rui-Tao Dong
	Sr. Scientist			Newport Corporation
	rdong@newport.com		1791 Deere Avenue
	(949)253-1679(Voice)		Irvine, CA 92606 USA
	(949)253-1240(Fax)		http://www.newport.com

* Re: Cygwin running from CD and symlinks
@ 2000-10-02 13:09 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-10-02 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rui-Tao Dong, cygwin

At 04:00 PM 10/2/2000, Rui-Tao Dong wrote:

>I am trying do the following.  I would like to put the Cygwin tree
>together with XFree86, XEmacs and Xvnc (which I use as an Xserver) on
>a CD.  I can pop it into a windows machine (issue a few mount commands
>if necessary) and get an instant Unix environment.  However, I have
>problem with symlinks.  Cygwin 1.14 doesn't seem to understand
>symbolic links on a CD I made with mkisofs -J -L -r on a Linux Box,
>while 1.12 works fine.
>
>--
>
>Rui-Tao Dong ~{6-HpLN~} <ruitao@home.com>, Mission Viejo, California

Sorry but this isn't enough information to help you determine why this is
the case.  However, if you edit the symlink file itself in notepad or
some editor that doesn't grok Cygwin, you'll see the symlink you created
and this may help you determine why you don't see what you expect to see.

* Cygwin running from CD and symlinks
@ 2000-10-02 13:00 Rui-Tao Dong