* I have problems getting root on my cygwin.
@ 2000-12-24  6:58 Gareth B Erasmus
From: Gareth B Erasmus @ 2000-12-24  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Deal Cygwin,

I wanted to install a few bits of software on cygwin. But when I try to
install the Arachne browser, It says that it cannot install unless I have
root. Unfortunately I have not had much experience with UNIX/linux
systems, When I try typing "Su" it gives me a few weird characters and
then i suppose i am now "Super User" but then when i try installing my
web browser it says i need root. Can you please tell me how to do this?

P.S. I just have that small problem with cygwin, but otherwise I think
that Cygwin is great!

Regards,
Gareth Erasmus

* Re: I have problems getting root on my cygwin.
@ 2000-12-24  8:06 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-24  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 09:52:36AM -0800, Gareth B Erasmus wrote:
> Deal Cygwin,
>
> I wanted to install a few bits of software on cygwin. But when I try to
> install the Arachne browser, It says that it cannot install unless I have
> root. Unfortunately I have not had much experience with UNIX/linux
> systems, When I try typing "Su" it gives me a few weird characters and
> then i suppose i am now "Super User" but then when i try installing my
> web browser it says i need root. Can you please tell me how to do this?
>
> P.S. I just have that small problem with cygwin, but otherwise I think
> that Cygwin is great!

The above sounds as if you were trying to install the Linux version
of Arachne. AFAIK, Arachne is available as DOS and Linux version.
Cygwin is neither DOS nor Linux. It's a DLL on top of Windows.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.