* cygwin idea #2
@ 2000-12-25 11:05 etoffi
From: etoffi @ 2000-12-25 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

============================
i d e a  n u m b e r   t w o
============================

this is my second original cygwin idea.

**
on windows 9x, cygwin should attempt to read environment vaiables from the
registry.
**

short and sweet.

--
etoffi

* Re: cygwin idea #2
@ 2000-12-25 22:46 ` Avraham H. Fraenkel
From: Avraham H. Fraenkel @ 2000-12-25 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: etoffi; +Cc: cygwin

1) I think it is OK, but environment set in a shell must overwrite everything
   in registry.
   One can look at the registry as a environment variable set by the CDE
   environment at startup.
2) But cygwin is 'Unix' like - why not to use some default file for it.
   it is more 'UNIX' like to use files instead of registry.

Avraham
---------------------------------------
email : avraham.fraenkel@comMATCH.com
URL   : www.comMATCH.com
---------------------------------------

On Mon, 25 Dec 2000 etoffi@softhome.net wrote:

> ============================
> i d e a  n u m b e r   t w o
> ============================
>
> this is my second original cygwin idea.
>
> **
> on windows 9x, cygwin should attempt to read environment vaiables from the
> registry.
> **
>
> short and sweet.
>
> --
> etoffi
>
> --

* Re: cygwin idea #2
@ 2000-12-26 10:01   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-26 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 08:45:23AM +0200, Avraham H. Fraenkel wrote:
>1) I think it is OK, but environment set in a shell must overwrite everything
>   in registry.
>   One can look at the registry as a environment variable set by the CDE
>   environment at startup.
>2) But cygwin is 'Unix' like - why not to use some default file for it.
>   it is more 'UNIX' like to use files instead of registry.

We already have files to do this.  They're called '.bashrc' or
'.profile'.

Also, as much as I don't want to stifle anyone's creative impulses, I
guess I have to once again point out that there is a close to zero
percent chance that anyone is scanning the mailing list looking for
ideas to implement.

We are not short on ideas.  We're frighteningly short on people to do
work.

cgf

* Re: cygwin idea #2
@ 2000-12-26 15:03   ` etoffi
From: etoffi @ 2000-12-26 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Avraham H. Fraenkel writes:

> 1) I think it is OK, but environment set in a shell must overwrite everything
>    in registry.
>    One can look at the registry as a environment variable set by the CDE
>    environment at startup.
> 2) But cygwin is 'Unix' like - why not to use some default file for it.
>    it is more 'UNIX' like to use files instead of registry.
>
> Avraham
> ---------------------------------------
> email : avraham.fraenkel@comMATCH.com
> URL   : www.comMATCH.com
> ---------------------------------------
>
> On Mon, 25 Dec 2000 etoffi@softhome.net wrote:
>

> > ============================
> > i d e a  n u m b e r   t w o
> > ============================
> >
> > this is my second original cygwin idea.
> >
> > **
> > on windows 9x, cygwin should attempt to read environment vaiables from the
> > registry.
> > **
> >
> > short and sweet.
> >
> > --
> > etoffi
> >
> > --

too bad i didnt really think about this too much.   i was really intendind
this only for windows 9x, since thoses OSes dont have the same ability to
set the env. from a dialog like nt.

but, (i think) nt actually only checks this at login.

what i really wanted to do was allow 95, etc to read variables that i could
change after bootup (ie without autoexec.bat)

about .profile:

doesnt that only work when starting from a shell? (or particularly bash?)
i usually start cygwin programs like normal windows programs (from a .bat
file, or direct invocation -- double click, etc).

about order:

the order is actually quite interesting.  can anyone explain how nt checks?
or are there any other suggestions?

about volunteering:

i was actually willing to write this myself, being that it is so simple...

--
etoffi

* Re: cygwin idea #2
@ 2000-12-26 15:04     ` etoffi
From: etoffi @ 2000-12-26 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor writes:

> We are not short on ideas.  We're frighteningly short on people to do
> work.
>
> cgf

where are these ideas listed at please?

--
etoffi

* Re: cygwin idea #2
@ 2000-12-26 15:11       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-12-26 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: etoffi; +Cc: cygwin

> where are these ideas listed at please?

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cygwin-todo.cgi

Setup's list is in src/winsup/cinstall/README in the sources.

* Re: cygwin idea #2
@ 2000-12-26 15:29         ` etoffi
From: etoffi @ 2000-12-26 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

DJ Delorie writes:

> > where are these ideas listed at please?
>
> http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cygwin-todo.cgi
>
> Setup's list is in src/winsup/cinstall/README in the sources.

the "notes" form needs to clip at 80 chars or use <p> or something.  the
ends of lines go off the page.  look and see.

--
etoffi

* Re: cygwin idea #2
@ 2000-12-26 15:56           ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-12-26 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: etoffi; +Cc: cygwin

> the "notes" form needs to clip at 80 chars or use <p> or something.  the
> ends of lines go off the page.  look and see.

Hmmm... I hate that.  OK, I fixed it.