* Setup Problem
@ 2000-12-28  1:38 klaus.berndl
From: klaus.berndl @ 2000-12-28  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have downloaded the setup program and a lot of packages and have successfully installed all the stuff.
Cygwin works great. I have also updated some times some packages with the setup-program.
But sometime if i try to install the downloaded packages with "Install from local dir..." most packages succeed
but sometimes a few fail, because the setup says, there is no file ....tar-gz in the directory.
IF i take a look into this directory, there is a ...tar.gz file but the file differs in the version number. Therefore
setup thinks the file it searches for is not there. Why differs the file in the version number if i gave always done each
downloading and installing with setup?
What can i do, so setup comes back to the "rigth way" when i install/update something next time?

MTIA,
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG			http://www.sdm.de

* Re: Setup Problem
@ 2000-12-28  1:54 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-28  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 10:36:17AM +0100, klaus.berndl@sdm.de wrote:
> I have downloaded the setup program and a lot of packages and have successfully installed all the stuff.
> Cygwin works great. I have also updated some times some packages with the setup-program.
> But sometime if i try to install the downloaded packages with "Install from local dir..." most packages succeed
> but sometimes a few fail, because the setup says, there is no file ....tar-gz in the directory.
> IF i take a look into this directory, there is a ...tar.gz file but the file differs in the version number. Therefore
> setup thinks the file it searches for is not there. Why differs the file in the version number if i gave always done each
> downloading and installing with setup?

Some directories contain a setup.hint file which contains information
about previous, current and experimental releases. Perhaps in one or
more directories the hint file isn't correct.

Do you have a reproducable case?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Setup Problem
@ 2000-12-28  8:28 ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2000-12-28  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I believe what you are actually seeing here is that if setup has managed
to get a new setup.ini and this setup file references a newer version
then you will see this in list to choose from.  However if you haver
never downloaded it then the file is not available for install. You must
download the newer version before installing from local directory or
simply do the install by selecting install from internet.

I am currently working on an enhancement for setup (and have been for a
while) which will remove the problem I referred to above.  I have just
had a lot of things going and haven't gotten as much time on it as I
would like.

* Re: setup problem
@ 2006-02-20 16:05     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-02-20 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 03:44:12PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>  Are you sure you didn't click the ftp.mirror.ac.uk URL by mistake?  That one
>does work.
>
>> See: http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html .

The last time that sourceware contacted this site to verify its correctness was
~Feb 19 21:43.  If there are problems with the site, it will disappear from the
list eventually.

cgf

* RE: setup problem
@ 2006-02-20 16:02   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-02-20 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 20 February 2006 15:25, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 09:37:37PM +0000, David Monksfield wrote:
>> When I run setup and select 'www.mirror.ac.uk' as the download site, setup
>> says: "Unable to get setup.ini from
>> <http://'www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin>".

  I get this too, only without the stray single quote.

>> This started happening a few days ago, having previously been fine.
>>
>> I can add <http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin>
>> (note the different path) as a new mirror and this works, but I have to do
>> this every time I run setup.
>>
>> I think the mirrors list may need updating.
>
> The URL listed in the mirrors list WFFM.

  Doesn't work for me:

dk@rainbow /tmp> wget
'http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cyg
win/setup.ini'
--15:39:13--
http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin/setup.
ini
           => `setup.ini'
Resolving www.mirror.ac.uk... 194.80.135.25
Connecting to www.mirror.ac.uk[194.80.135.25]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
End of file while parsing headers.
Retrying.

--15:39:14--
http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin/setup.
ini
  (try: 2) => `setup.ini'
Connecting to www.mirror.ac.uk[194.80.135.25]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
End of file while parsing headers.
Retrying.

  Are you sure you didn't click the ftp.mirror.ac.uk URL by mistake?  That one
does work.

> See: http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html .
>
> cgf

  It says
http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin/

  That URL is dead, and so is
http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin/setup.ini

  Replace the word 'sites' with 'mirror' and you get a valid directory.  Add
'setup.ini' to the end and you get a 302 redirect to

http://download.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin/setup.ini

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: setup problem
@ 2006-02-20 15:42 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-02-20 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 09:37:37PM +0000, David Monksfield wrote:
>When I run setup and select 'www.mirror.ac.uk' as the download site, setup says:
>"Unable to get setup.ini from <http://'www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin>".
>
>This started happening a few days ago, having previously been fine.
>
>I can add <http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin>
>(note the different path) as a new mirror and this works, but I have to do this
>every time I run setup.
>
>I think the mirrors list may need updating.

The URL listed in the mirrors list WFFM.

See: http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html .

cgf

* setup problem
@ 2006-02-20 11:16 David Monksfield
From: David Monksfield @ 2006-02-20 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When I run setup and select 'www.mirror.ac.uk' as the download site, setup says:
"Unable to get setup.ini from <http://'www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin>".

This started happening a few days ago, having previously been fine.

I can add <http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin>
(note the different path) as a new mirror and this works, but I have to do this
every time I run setup.

I think the mirrors list may need updating.

David

* setup problem
@ 2002-10-22  2:32 nemrut cesetevi
From: nemrut cesetevi @ 2002-10-22  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

i downloaded fullsetup of cygwin.my system is windows98.in setup directory
there is a file with " .src.tar.bz2" .how can i exract it or how can i setup
my cygwin :)?

and also wondering something.after i compile and run my program with
cygwin.may i open it with visualc++6.0 and again compile+run again *
anybody tried this before?

be happy

* setup problem
@ 2002-10-21 14:42 muna
From: muna @ 2002-10-21 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

dear sir,
I have downloaded the cygwin setup softwere, and started installing
it. I have chosen download from internet , choose a ftp site and
downloaded the basic file. Then i installed the pakage. now i am filling
that i need some upgrade. if i get the xxxxx.tar.bz2 pakage then can
i add to my installation. if so then how.
again if i delete my old instalation and try to install again with
the new pakage includee, can i do that

thanks for all,
mohd islam

* Re: Setup problem
@ 2000-12-16  9:13 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-16  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Friday 15 December 2000 13:32, Pierre Muller wrote:
> I have a problem with Cygwin since one of my last update with Setup.
>
> At the end of the setup process I got the fllowing error
>
> File MKPASSWD.EXE is related to a missing export
> NETAPI32.DLL:NetApiBufferFree

Huh? This shouldn't happen with the latest version of mkpasswd
anymore. Are you sure having updated to the latest?

BTW: Regardless if mkpasswd works or not, it's not _really_ hard to
create a passwd file by using an editor...

> Because of this, the passwd file is not created and
> when I try to run Cygwin Console I get
> No user found with uid 500
>
> even if I set USER env before !
>
> Couldn't that the changed so that it at least works if USER
> is set before loading !
>
> Before that recent ? change
> but now it fails ...

Forget the env variable USER. It's never used by any of the OpenSSH
applications but only /etc/passwd.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Setup problem
@ 2000-12-15  4:33 Pierre Muller
From: Pierre Muller @ 2000-12-15  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a problem with Cygwin since one of my last update with Setup.

At the end of the setup process I got the fllowing error

File MKPASSWD.EXE is related to a missing export NETAPI32.DLL:NetApiBufferFree

Because of this, the passwd file is not created and
when I try to run Cygwin Console I get
No user found with uid 500

even if I set USER env before !

Couldn't that the changed so that it at least works if USER
is set before loading !

Before that recent ? change
but now it fails ...

Tell me if you need more information about my setup,
but the problem is probably mainly do to the fact that
NETAPI32.DLL:NetApiBufferFree
is a win98 addition when I only have win95 !

Pierre Muller
Institut Charles Sadron
6,rue Boussingault
F 67083 STRASBOURG CEDEX (France)
mailto:muller@ics.u-strasbg.fr
Phone : (33)-3-88-41-40-07  Fax : (33)-3-88-41-40-99