* Keeping *.tar.gz files?
@ 2000-12-28 14:39 David A. Cobb
From: David A. Cobb @ 2000-12-28 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

This is probably a silly question, SETUP leaves the
./latest/xxxxxxxx.tar.gz
files when it's finished.  I always install from the Internet.  Is there
any benefit from keeping all those archives?  I (think I) know that
SETUP looks in /etc/setup/installed.db or some such to tell what is
installed.  Even if the archives are gone, it should see that there is
no reason to update packages that haven't changed.

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate.  Public Key
at:
< http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit >
"Don't buy or use crappy software"
"By the grace of God I am a Christian man,
 by my actions a great sinner" -- The Way of a Pilgrim [R. M. French,
tr.]

* Re: Keeping *.tar.gz files?
@ 2000-12-28 14:47 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-12-28 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: superbiskit; +Cc: cygwin

> Is there any benefit from keeping all those archives?

If you want to re-install, like if you try an experimental version and
want to revert, or if you want to wipe out and reinstall your cygwin
installation.  Or if you want to install cygwin on a second machine,
you can do it right out of that directory.