* make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 13:30 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-10 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So, what does everyone think about making -mno-win32 the default for Cygwin?

This would mean that WIN32 variables would not be defined by gcc by default.
It would require a -mwin32 switch for these to be activated.

Earnie has been proposing this and I sort of like the idea but dread the
potential hue and cry that could result.

So, is the hue and cry from the lack of WIN32 counterbalanced by potentially
easier UNIX porting?

cgf

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 13:40 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-10 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin

At 04:31 PM 1/10/2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>So, what does everyone think about making -mno-win32 the default for Cygwin?
>
>This would mean that WIN32 variables would not be defined by gcc by default.
>It would require a -mwin32 switch for these to be activated.
>
>Earnie has been proposing this and I sort of like the idea but dread the
>potential hue and cry that could result.
>
>So, is the hue and cry from the lack of WIN32 counterbalanced by potentially
>easier UNIX porting?

Yes.  It fits with the stated goals of Cygwin.  We can counter the outcry
with a nice FAQ so we at least will not have to repeat ourselves constantly.

I'm in!

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 13:54 ` Charles Wilson
       [not found]   ` <20010110170527.B21342@volta.certicom.com>
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-01-10 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Earnie has been proposing this and I sort of like the idea but dread the
> potential hue and cry that could result.

I also like the idea, but am terrified of the torrent of "It worked with
gcc-2.95.2 and cygwin beta 1.1 [sic]" complaints.  Also I'm not sure
that all of "my" packages are _WIN32 clean.  (For the most part, if they
compiled -- I was happy.  I didn't look too closely beyond that.  I know
that zlib and libpng are WIN32 clean 'cause I tested them with
-mno-win32.  Dunno *for sure* about the rest).

> So, is the hue and cry from the lack of WIN32 counterbalanced by potentially
> easier UNIX porting?

Ummm....yyyyeeessss....I think????

--Chuck

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 13:59   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-10 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 04:36:41PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>At 04:31 PM 1/10/2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>So, what does everyone think about making -mno-win32 the default for Cygwin?
>>
>>This would mean that WIN32 variables would not be defined by gcc by default.
>>It would require a -mwin32 switch for these to be activated.
>>
>>Earnie has been proposing this and I sort of like the idea but dread the
>>potential hue and cry that could result.
>>
>>So, is the hue and cry from the lack of WIN32 counterbalanced by potentially
>>easier UNIX porting?
>

>Yes.  It fits with the stated goals of Cygwin.  We can counter the outcry
>with a nice FAQ so we at least will not have to repeat ourselves constantly.
>
>I'm in!

You mean like this?

    Why am I getting errors from "windef.h"?
    Why am I getting errors saying simple things like "HANDLE" are undefined?
    Why can't I compile my Windows program with Cygwin 1.1.8?  It worked fine
    with B19!

    Please send email to lhall@rfk.com and he'll explain everything.

:-)

@ 2001-01-10 14:02   ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found]   ` <20010110170527.B21342@volta.certicom.com>
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-10 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 04:54:26PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>> Earnie has been proposing this and I sort of like the idea but dread the
>> potential hue and cry that could result.
>>

>I also like the idea, but am terrified of the torrent of "It worked with
>gcc-2.95.2 and cygwin beta 1.1 [sic]" complaints.  Also I'm not sure
>that all of "my" packages are _WIN32 clean.  (For the most part, if they
>compiled -- I was happy.  I didn't look too closely beyond that.  I know
>that zlib and libpng are WIN32 clean 'cause I tested them with
>-mno-win32.  Dunno *for sure* about the rest).
>
>> So, is the hue and cry from the lack of WIN32 counterbalanced by potentially
>> easier UNIX porting?
>
>Ummm....yyyyeeessss....I think????

My sentiments exactly.

We could always make a release, see who complained, and then change it back if
it seemed like a bad idea.

cgf

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
       [not found]   ` <20010110170527.B21342@volta.certicom.com>
@ 2001-01-10 14:14     ` Charles Wilson
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-01-10 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: avadekar; +Cc: cygwin

Sure.  'export CC="gcc -mwin32"' and 'export CXX="g++ -mwin32"' in your
.bashrc

--Chuck

@ 2001-01-10 14:26     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-10 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 05:00 PM 1/10/2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 04:36:41PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> >At 04:31 PM 1/10/2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>So, what does everyone think about making -mno-win32 the default for Cygwin?
> >>
> >>This would mean that WIN32 variables would not be defined by gcc by default.
> >>It would require a -mwin32 switch for these to be activated.
> >>
> >>Earnie has been proposing this and I sort of like the idea but dread the
> >>potential hue and cry that could result.
> >>
> >>So, is the hue and cry from the lack of WIN32 counterbalanced by potentially
> >>easier UNIX porting?
> >

> >Yes.  It fits with the stated goals of Cygwin.  We can counter the outcry
> >with a nice FAQ so we at least will not have to repeat ourselves constantly.
> >
> >I'm in!
>
>You mean like this?
>
>     Why am I getting errors from "windef.h"?
>     Why am I getting errors saying simple things like "HANDLE" are undefined?
>     Why can't I compile my Windows program with Cygwin 1.1.8?  It worked fine
>     with B19!
>
>     Please send email to lhall@rfk.com and he'll explain everything.
>
>:-)
>
>cgf

Yes, something like that.;-)

Seriously though, I'm betting on the fact that its easier to answer questions
about why Win32 programs don't compile by default than it is to explain why
Cygwin won't build and run GNU/UNIX packages.  Of course, as Chuck Wilson
points out, there will be those packages which are ported to both UNIX and
Windows that seem to work right now because they make use of some Win32
stuff that won't be allowed with this change.  While I expect most of these
will still build, they might break when running.  Questions about these
will potentially be prolific at the beginning but at least the solution is
cleanly stated (port it properly) unless the functionality in Cygwin is
missing.  There's some grey area but I expect the result for any strict
Win32 program will be that it won't compile which is handled by 1 simple
FAQ (i.e. add the -mwin32 flag for Windows programs).  The result for any
UNIX port will be either the package won't compile or program errors/bugs
(due to bad porting or lack of Cygwin support).  Another general FAQ can
handle that too.  While the initial volume of all these complaints may be
high, it will tend to force the packages and Cywgin to get better.  Add to
this the fact that we won't have people wondering why their favorite GNU
package uses Win32 block of code under Cygwin instead of the UNIX/POSIX
code and I think this will be a plus (or at least easier to explain!;-))

Thus ends my diatribe on how things work in a perfect world.;-)

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 14:27       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-10 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I didn't see this in the Cygwin mailing list but the CYGWIN environment
variable controls the behavior of the Cygwin DLL.  GCC is not the Cygwin
DLL.

This has nothing to do with "cygwin" or "make".

So, Charles' suggestion is correct.

cgf

@ 2001-01-10 14:33       ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-10 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, avadekar; +Cc: cygwin

Yes, I like this.  This should be the answer to the FAQ question!:-)

We could even make this a setup option if the need arises...

Larry

@ 2001-01-10 14:45     ` MarK Stucky
From: MarK Stucky @ 2001-01-10 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 04:54:26PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>
> >> Earnie has been proposing this and I sort of like the idea but dread
the
> >> potential hue and cry that could result.
> >>

> >I also like the idea, but am terrified of the torrent of "It worked with
> >gcc-2.95.2 and cygwin beta 1.1 [sic]" complaints.  Also I'm not sure
> >that all of "my" packages are _WIN32 clean.  (For the most part, if they
> >compiled -- I was happy.  I didn't look too closely beyond that.  I know
> >that zlib and libpng are WIN32 clean 'cause I tested them with
> >-mno-win32.  Dunno *for sure* about the rest).
> >
> >> So, is the hue and cry from the lack of WIN32 counterbalanced by
potentially
> >> easier UNIX porting?
> >
> >Ummm....yyyyeeessss....I think????
>
> My sentiments exactly.
>
> We could always make a release, see who complained, and then change it
back if
> it seemed like a bad idea.
>
> cgf

Would it be possible (or desirable) to make it selectable
by the user.  Some people might prefer to always have "-mno-win32"
as the default behavior and others might want "-mwin32" and
I'm sure that there are others that might want to switch back
and forth between the two.

--Mark

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 15:01       ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-01-10 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<Am 2001-01-10 17:47 wars, als MarK Stucky schrieb:>
< Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default >

> Would it be possible (or desirable) to make it selectable
> by the user.  Some people might prefer to always have "-mno-win32"
> as the default behavior and others might want "-mwin32" and
> I'm sure that there are others that might want to switch back
> and forth between the two.

If it is selectable then, it will be like it is now,

set: export CC='gcc -mno-cygwin'
or:  export CC='gcc -mno-win32'

and so on.

What will be the difference then, to like it is now?

Is there no default setting in gcc?
Does it switch between both settings, randomly?
gph

--
=^..^=
Gerrit Peter Haase

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 15:19         ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-01-10 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<Am 2001-01-11 0:03 wars, als Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:>
< Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default >

> Is there no default setting in gcc?
> Does it switch between both settings, randomly?

BTW, as i tried to compile perl with gcc -mno-win32, some days ago,
as this was first mentioned, it didn't build OOTB as usual...

I suggest, there will be a lot of applications to be rebuild.

gph

--
=^..^=

@ 2001-01-10 15:26           ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-10 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerrit.haase, cygwin

At 06:22 PM 1/10/2001, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
><Am 2001-01-11 0:03 wars, als Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:>
>< Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default >
>
> > Is there no default setting in gcc?
> > Does it switch between both settings, randomly?
>
>BTW, as i tried to compile perl with gcc -mno-win32, some days ago,
>as this was first mentioned, it didn't build OOTB as usual...
>
>I suggest, there will be a lot of applications to be rebuild.

Hm, I would've sworn that Earnie Boyd had said sometime in the last week
or so that Perl did indeed build with -mno-win32.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I think its important to point out that this change would not necessitate
any applications being rebuilt.  It's worthwhile to make sure that they
do build and still work as a result but the change itself does not
invalidate existing executables.  Also, for anyone that wants to make
sure that their application would build OK with this change (assuming it
should), its easy to do now just as you did above for Perl.

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 15:58         ` MarK Stucky
From: MarK Stucky @ 2001-01-10 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerrit.haase, cygwin

> <Am 2001-01-10 17:47 wars, als MarK Stucky schrieb:>
> < Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default >
>

> > Would it be possible (or desirable) to make it selectable
> > by the user.  Some people might prefer to always have "-mno-win32"
> > as the default behavior and others might want "-mwin32" and
> > I'm sure that there are others that might want to switch back
> > and forth between the two.
>
> If it is selectable then, it will be like it is now,
>
> set: export CC='gcc -mno-cygwin'
> or:  export CC='gcc -mno-win32'
>
> and so on.
>
> What will be the difference then, to like it is now?
>
> Is there no default setting in gcc?
> Does it switch between both settings, randomly?
> gph
>
> --
> =^..^=
> Gerrit Peter Haase
> ID: 0x28A05137
> FP: 875C 745E 01CF 8A34 2767  BE39 305E 5261 28A0 5137

I guess that I was meaning something that might
be MORE visible to new users.  The "export CC= ..."
approach seems like something that a newbie might
not notice.

--Mark

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 17:18             ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-10 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> Hm, I would've sworn that Earnie Boyd had said sometime in the last week
> or so that Perl did indeed build with -mno-win32.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Yes. I said that.  My default mode is without WIN32 defines and has been for
a couple of years.  In that time I've built varying versions of perl and
have not had problems.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 17:21           ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-10 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

MarK Stucky wrote:

> I guess that I was meaning something that might
> be MORE visible to new users.  The "export CC= ..."
> approach seems like something that a newbie might
> not notice.

IMO, having this default would catch fewer newbies by surprise than the
well adjusted Cygwin user.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 17:30     ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-10 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 04:54:26PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >
> >I also like the idea, but am terrified of the torrent of "It worked with
> >gcc-2.95.2 and cygwin beta 1.1 [sic]" complaints.  Also I'm not sure
> >that all of "my" packages are _WIN32 clean.  (For the most part, if they
> >compiled -- I was happy.  I didn't look too closely beyond that.  I know
> >that zlib and libpng are WIN32 clean 'cause I tested them with
> >-mno-win32.  Dunno *for sure* about the rest).
> >
> >> So, is the hue and cry from the lack of WIN32 counterbalanced by potentially
> >> easier UNIX porting?
> >
> >Ummm....yyyyeeessss....I think????
>
> My sentiments exactly.
>
> We could always make a release, see who complained, and then change it back if
> it seemed like a bad idea.

I suppose to ease some of the pain we could create a windows.h file for
/usr/include that does appropriate comparisons and issues an #error if  it gets
included without _WIN32 being defined #else include the next windows.h file?

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 18:17             ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-10 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> MarK Stucky wrote:
>

> > I guess that I was meaning something that might
> > be MORE visible to new users.  The "export CC= ..."
> > approach seems like something that a newbie might
> > not notice.
> >

> IMO, having this default would catch fewer newbies by surprise than the
> well adjusted Cygwin user.

And, at least this one will be announced, unlike a few changes that I can
think of but won't mention.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 23:36       ` Egor Duda
From: Egor Duda @ 2001-01-10 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

Hi!

Thursday, 11 January, 2001 Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu wrote:

CW> Sure.  'export CC="gcc -mwin32"' and 'export CXX="g++ -mwin32"' in your
CW> .bashrc

perhaps  we  should put
'export  CC="gcc -mno-win32"' and 'export CXX="g++ -mno-win32"' in our
.bashrc's and live with it for some time before making it default?

BTW, shouldn't it be
'export  CFLAGS="-mno-win32"' and 'export CXXFLAGS="-mno-win32"' ?

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 23:58             ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-01-10 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<Am 2001-01-10 18:22 wars, als Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc schrieb:>
< Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default >

> At 06:22 PM 1/10/2001, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> ><Am 2001-01-11 0:03 wars, als Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:>
> >< Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default >
> >
> > > Is there no default setting in gcc?
> > > Does it switch between both settings, randomly?
> >
> >BTW, as i tried to compile perl with gcc -mno-win32, some days ago,
> >as this was first mentioned, it didn't build OOTB as usual...
> >
> >I suggest, there will be a lot of applications to be rebuild.
>

> Hm, I would've sworn that Earnie Boyd had said sometime in the last week
> or so that Perl did indeed build with -mno-win32.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.

No, you're right, he said so.

Well, maybe it works with some modifications,
also i should mention, i tried the unstable devel-sources.

gph

--
=^..^=

@ 2001-01-11  0:05         ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-01-11  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<Am 2001-01-11 10:32 wars, als Egor Duda schrieb:>
< Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default >

> Hi!
>
> Thursday, 11 January, 2001 Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu wrote:
>
> CW> Sure.  'export CC="gcc -mwin32"' and 'export CXX="g++ -mwin32"' in your
> CW> .bashrc
>
> perhaps  we  should put
> 'export  CC="gcc -mno-win32"' and 'export CXX="g++ -mno-win32"' in our
> .bashrc's and live with it for some time before making it default?
>
> BTW, shouldn't it be
> 'export  CFLAGS="-mno-win32"' and 'export CXXFLAGS="-mno-win32"' ?

I'm sure, some configure-scripts override the environment-settings.
A lot of sources come with ready-to-use Makefile which is to edit by hand.
gph

--
=^..^=

@ 2001-01-11  0:14         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-01-11  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Egor Duda; +Cc: cygwin

Egor Duda wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thursday, 11 January, 2001 Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu wrote:
>
> CW> Sure.  'export CC="gcc -mwin32"' and 'export CXX="g++ -mwin32"' in your
> CW> .bashrc
>
> perhaps  we  should put
> 'export  CC="gcc -mno-win32"' and 'export CXX="g++ -mno-win32"' in our
> .bashrc's and live with it for some time before making it default?
>
> BTW, shouldn't it be
> 'export  CFLAGS="-mno-win32"' and 'export CXXFLAGS="-mno-win32"' ?

Yeah, you're probably right.  But lots of times I'll do this:

CFLAGS="...." LDFLAGS="....." ./configure

and if it were me, I *know* I'd forget to add "-mno-win32" every time.
However, I hardly ever mess with "CC" or "CXX". Therefore, those
variables are "safe" -- they won't be accidentally overridden.  But
that's just my tendencies.  I'm sure other people have their own.

--Chuck

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-11  7:57               ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-11  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerrit.haase, cygwin

At 03:00 AM 1/11/2001, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> > Hm, I would've sworn that Earnie Boyd had said sometime in the last week
> > or so that Perl did indeed build with -mno-win32.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.
>
>No, you're right, he said so.
>
>Well, maybe it works with some modifications,
>also i should mention, i tried the unstable devel-sources.

devel-sources?  Yes, I expect that's the reason for the problems you're
seeing.

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-11  9:23                 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-01-11  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<2001-01-11 10:52 Uhr, hat Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc geschrieben:>
< Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default >

> At 03:00 AM 1/11/2001, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> > > Hm, I would've sworn that Earnie Boyd had said sometime in the last week
> > > or so that Perl did indeed build with -mno-win32.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.
> >
> >No, you're right, he said so.
> >
> >Well, maybe it works with some modifications,
> >also i should mention, i tried the unstable devel-sources.
>
> devel-sources?  Yes, I expect that's the reason for the problems you're
> seeing.

Now i tried also with perl-5.6.1-TRIAL-1, the patched source, it does not
compile OOTB:-\

Ask Eric why, please.
gph

--
gerrit.haase@convey.de
PGP Version: 6.5.8 Public Key Information

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-11 12:29           ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-11 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Egor Duda

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Egor Duda wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Thursday, 11 January, 2001 Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu wrote:
> >
> > CW> Sure.  'export CC="gcc -mwin32"' and 'export CXX="g++ -mwin32"' in your
> > CW> .bashrc
> >
> > perhaps  we  should put
> > 'export  CC="gcc -mno-win32"' and 'export CXX="g++ -mno-win32"' in our
> > .bashrc's and live with it for some time before making it default?
> >
> > BTW, shouldn't it be
> > 'export  CFLAGS="-mno-win32"' and 'export CXXFLAGS="-mno-win32"' ?
>
> Yeah, you're probably right.  But lots of times I'll do this:

No, he's wrong, IMO.  CC, CXX are the correct variables to set.  The
reason is that CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS should be used for optimization and
flags that are architecture independent while the architecture dependent
flags should be passed with the CC, CXX variables.  This allows the
configure script to use the architecture dependent flags in it's checks
for what's available.  Otherwise, you might misconfigure the package.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-11 12:58             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-11 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Egor Duda

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 03:29:44PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>Charles Wilson wrote:
>>
>> Egor Duda wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi!

>> > perhaps  we  should put
>> > 'export  CC="gcc -mno-win32"' and 'export CXX="g++ -mno-win32"' in our
>> > .bashrc's and live with it for some time before making it default?
>> >
>> > BTW, shouldn't it be
>> > 'export  CFLAGS="-mno-win32"' and 'export CXXFLAGS="-mno-win32"' ?
>>
>> Yeah, you're probably right.  But lots of times I'll do this:
>>

>No, he's wrong, IMO.  CC, CXX are the correct variables to set.  The
>reason is that CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS should be used for optimization and
>flags that are architecture independent while the architecture dependent
>flags should be passed with the CC, CXX variables.  This allows the
>configure script to use the architecture dependent flags in it's checks
>for what's available.  Otherwise, you might misconfigure the package.

Yes.  I think that Earnie is right here.

@ 2001-01-10 16:25 ` David A. Cobb
From: David A. Cobb @ 2001-01-10 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

> > So, what does everyone think about making -mno-win32 the
> > default for Cygwin?--

+1 from me.
--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate.  Public Key
at:

* RE: make -mno-win32 the gcc default?
@ 2001-01-10 13:36 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2001-01-10 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

> So, what does everyone think about making -mno-win32 the
> default for Cygwin?
 I vote YES.