* su & login
@ 2001-01-23 10:03 Gerrit le Roux
From: Gerrit le Roux @ 2001-01-23 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

I am very impressed with Cygwin. I went through the User Guide, and also
found most of my questions answered in the FAQ.

I used mkpasswd and mkgroup to create the local users and re-direct that
into /etc/passwd and /etc/group. My problem is that I can't use su or
login to login as another (local) user. I need to do that for DB Admin
work (on the same machine), and I don't want to log in (from NT) as the
DB Admin user (I don't have access), as this is only a local account, my
user account is also a domain account, using the same password. (I need
to see the rest of the network, logged in using  my own username, for
various
reasons.)

Whenever I tried to use login I get:

login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied

It doesn't matter which shell I use (/bin/sh gives the same error), but
I get logged in as that user if I used the other username to log onto NT
- by running Cygwin it automatically logs me on as the user I am on NT.

Also, I tried su:

su: cannot set user id: Not owner.

I am able to su with the same id as what I'm logged in as (bit useless,
but it shows that su is working)

It does check the password, because if I type in the wrong password, I
get " login incorrect"

The same happens with my root user, and Administrator. The only
deviation is when using su ( and it assumes root) , then
it tells me the password is incorrect. But I can log into NT with that
password.

It would be highly appreciated if you could suggest something.

Great product!!! I really like the mapping of drives

Regards

Gerrit le Roux

Ascential Software

* Re: su & login
@ 2001-01-23 11:17 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-01-23 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 06:03:03PM +0000, Gerrit le Roux wrote:
> Whenever I tried to use login I get:
>
> login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied
>
> It doesn't matter which shell I use (/bin/sh gives the same error), but
> I get logged in as that user if I used the other username to log onto NT
> - by running Cygwin it automatically logs me on as the user I am on NT.
>
> Also, I tried su:
>
> su: cannot set user id: Not owner.
>
> I am able to su with the same id as what I'm logged in as (bit useless,
> but it shows that su is working)
>
> It does check the password, because if I type in the wrong password, I
> get " login incorrect"
>
> The same happens with my root user, and Administrator. The only
> deviation is when using su ( and it assumes root) , then
> it tells me the password is incorrect. But I can log into NT with that
> password.

Read /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README. It contains some hints
related to user rights on NT etc.
Read the online documentation on http://cygwin.com/docs.html ,
especially the ntsec chapter.

Corinna