* /usr/bin/groff:fatal error: wait: Interrupted system call
@ 2001-01-02  6:36 Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z
From: Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z @ 2001-01-02  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

The man command regularly dies after brought in foreground from suspension:

$ fg %3
man objdump
Error executing formatting or display command.
System command (cd /usr/man ; (echo -e ".pl 1100i"; cat
/usr/man/man1/objdump.1;
 echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/groff -Tascii -mandoc |
/bin/le
ss) exited with status -1.
No manual entry for objdump
/usr/bin/groff:fatal error: wait: Interrupted system call
Signal 1

I wreckon the groff invoked by man is culpable. Is anyone else experiencing
this? Solution?
(cygwin1.dll 1.0.7 on Win2K)

Maybe connected with this (nad maybe not): ctrl-c stops working in the bash
command window after a while - it works fine when the shell window is
opened. Stty -a still shows ^C for intr. Any ideas?

thanks,

--
Ljubomir Josifovski
mailto:L.Josifovski@dcs.shef.ac.uk,blj01z@email.mot.com

* Re: /usr/bin/groff:fatal error: wait: Interrupted system call
@ 2001-01-17  7:03 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-17  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 02:35:51PM -0000, Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z wrote:
>The man command regularly dies after brought in foreground from suspension:
>
>$ fg %3
>man objdump
>Error executing formatting or display command.
>System command (cd /usr/man ; (echo -e ".pl 1100i"; cat
>/usr/man/man1/objdump.1;
> echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/groff -Tascii -mandoc |
>/bin/le
>ss) exited with status -1.
>No manual entry for objdump
>/usr/bin/groff:fatal error: wait: Interrupted system call
>Signal 1

This is a side effect of the fact that cygwin did not used to have restartable
signals.  As of the last week or so, I've started implementing this so CTRL-Z
shold work better.  There was also another unrelated problem with stopping a
cygwin process which I've also fixed.

>I wreckon the groff invoked by man is culpable. Is anyone else experiencing
>this? Solution?
>(cygwin1.dll 1.0.7 on Win2K)
>
>Maybe connected with this (nad maybe not): ctrl-c stops working in the bash
>command window after a while - it works fine when the shell window is
>opened. Stty -a still shows ^C for intr. Any ideas?

I doubt that it is related, and I've never seen this so I can't fix it.

cgf

* Re: /usr/bin/groff:fatal error: wait: Interrupted system call
@ 2001-01-27  7:49   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-27  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 10:03:26AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 02:35:51PM -0000, Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z wrote:
>>Maybe connected with this (nad maybe not): ctrl-c stops working in the bash
>>command window after a while - it works fine when the shell window is
>>opened. Stty -a still shows ^C for intr. Any ideas?
>
>I doubt that it is related, and I've never seen this so I can't fix it.

I was able to duplicate this, thanks to a clue from Kevin Schnitzius
(kevin.schnitzius@citrix.com).  It should be fixed in the next snapshot and
in Cygwin 1.1.8.

cgf

* RE: /usr/bin/groff:fatal error: wait: Interrupted system call
@ 2001-01-02  7:49 Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z
From: Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z @ 2001-01-02  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not sure I explained properly:

> Maybe connected with this (nad maybe not): ctrl-c stops
> working in the bash
> command window after a while - it works fine when the shell window is
> opened. Stty -a still shows ^C for intr. Any ideas?

The programs started from the shell are terminated with ctrl-c. Just that
the shell doesn't give me empty command line after ctrl-c - inconvenient
after recalling some previous command (I have to use ctrl-u  to delete it).
Curiously, pressing shift-3 on my UK keyboard (with the pound sign on the
shift-3 position) achieves that effect (in addition to emitting #) in the
shell (but it doesn't terminate the foreground program).

thanks,