* Re: inetutils-1.3.2-10 on Cygwin 1.1.8-2
@ 2001-02-11 16:09 Danny Smith
From: Danny Smith @ 2001-02-11 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

CGF wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:41:33AM +1300, Danny Smith wrote:
>>See also: msdn kb article Q257460
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q257/4/60.asp
>>
>>I will submit a patch for win32api/winsock2.h to the mingw project.

>If you would Cc the patch to cygwin@cygwin.com, it would be
>appreciated.

>cgf

Yes that is a good idea.  Is this a specific request or do  I
generalise to other windows sockets patches that I have recently
submitted?  Or do I generalise - in future - to any other win32api
patches that involve an  #ifdef __CYGWIN__  bracket?

Danny

* Re: inetutils-1.3.2-10 on Cygwin 1.1.8-2
@ 2001-02-11 16:43 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-11 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin; +Cc: danny_r_smith_2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 01:09:22PM +1300, Danny Smith wrote:
>CGF wrote:
>>On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:41:33AM +1300, Danny Smith wrote:
>>>See also: msdn kb article Q257460
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q257/4/60.asp
>>>
>>>I will submit a patch for win32api/winsock2.h to the mingw project.
>
>>If you would Cc the patch to cygwin@cygwin.com, it would be
>>appreciated.
>
>Yes that is a good idea.  Is this a specific request or do  I
>generalise to other windows sockets patches that I have recently
>submitted?  Or do I generalise - in future - to any other win32api
>patches that involve an  #ifdef __CYGWIN__  bracket?

I'd appreciate it if you Cc any changes to w32api (or even mingw, for
that matter) here.

cgf

* Re: inetutils-1.3.2-10 on Cygwin 1.1.8-2
@ 2001-02-12  5:03   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-12  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: danny_r_smith_2001

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 01:09:22PM +1300, Danny Smith wrote:
> >CGF wrote:

> >>If you would Cc the patch to cygwin@cygwin.com, it would be
> >>appreciated.
> >
> >Yes that is a good idea.  Is this a specific request or do  I
> >generalise to other windows sockets patches that I have recently
> >submitted?  Or do I generalise - in future - to any other win32api
> >patches that involve an  #ifdef __CYGWIN__  bracket?
>
> I'd appreciate it if you Cc any changes to w32api (or even mingw, for
> that matter) here.

I wouldn't mind if Danny posted the patches to cygwin-developers but I
would rather keep them at MinGW so that we don't get too many hands in
the fire.  I've kept the distribution updated with patches.  If anything
comes up Cygwin specific I'll keep the developer list informed.

Earnie.

* Re: inetutils-1.3.2-10 on Cygwin 1.1.8-2
@ 2001-02-12  8:08     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-12  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 08:03:59AM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >Yes that is a good idea.  Is this a specific request or do  I
>> >generalise to other windows sockets patches that I have recently
>> >submitted?  Or do I generalise - in future - to any other win32api
>> >patches that involve an  #ifdef __CYGWIN__  bracket?
>>
>> I'd appreciate it if you Cc any changes to w32api (or even mingw, for
>> that matter) here.
>>

>I wouldn't mind if Danny posted the patches to cygwin-developers but I
>would rather keep them at MinGW so that we don't get too many hands in
>the fire.  I've kept the distribution updated with patches.  If anything
>comes up Cygwin specific I'll keep the developer list informed.

I was just trying to keep apprised to things in the w32api world.  We'll
have delays if you go on vacation, or something, Earnie.

cgf

* Re: inetutils-1.3.2-10 on Cygwin 1.1.8-2
@ 2001-02-12 10:03       ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-12 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 08:03:59AM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> I'd appreciate it if you Cc any changes to w32api (or even mingw, for
> >> that matter) here.
> >>

> >I wouldn't mind if Danny posted the patches to cygwin-developers but I
> >would rather keep them at MinGW so that we don't get too many hands in
> >the fire.  I've kept the distribution updated with patches.  If anything
> >comes up Cygwin specific I'll keep the developer list informed.
>
> I was just trying to keep apprised to things in the w32api world.  We'll
> have delays if you go on vacation, or something, Earnie.

I'll suggest you subscribe to the mingw-notify via
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-notify if you're
interested in keeping apprised of the changes.  You'll probably want the
digest mode.  There will be other drivel not related to w32api or the
mingw-runtime but this how you'll be notified of any new patch.

Earnie.

P.S.: My vacations are far and few between.  Besides, if I can't make
the patch then Mumit or Paul S. should be able to.  What happens to the
work you do when you go on vacation?

* Re: inetutils-1.3.2-10 on Cygwin 1.1.8-2
@ 2001-02-12 10:06         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-12 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 01:03:30PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>P.S.: My vacations are far and few between.  Besides, if I can't make
>the patch then Mumit or Paul S. should be able to.  What happens to the
>work you do when you go on vacation?

I carry a laptop.  :-)

cgf

* Re: inetutils-1.3.2-10 on Cygwin 1.1.8-2
@ 2001-02-12  1:53 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-02-12  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 10:36:15AM -0800, Andrew Chang wrote:
> I seem to hit a rshd bug, am wondering if anyone can help:
>
> I was trying install cygwin rshd recently, It seems to work.
> except for one strange behavior: under the rshd
> environment, the winsock2 gethostbyname() interface will return
> WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND. It works fine if I  run the same code
> under rlogind or locally. (The application I am running is
> a very simple (20 lines of C code, no GUI) winsock application,
> it is not linked to the cygwin dll.
>
> I found the following message on web.
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00743.html
>
> which seems to indicate rshd have some winsock related problem.
> I am wondering if it had been fixed.

The error mentioned in that posting has been fixed in 1.3.2-7.

Your problem is related to NT behaviour in relation to the LocalSystem
account. See http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-01/msg01516.html

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: inetutils-1.3.2-10 on Cygwin 1.1.8-2
@ 2001-02-11 14:48 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-11 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

@ 2001-02-11 14:41 Danny Smith
From: Danny Smith @ 2001-02-11 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

 On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 10:36:15AM -0800, Andrew Chang wrote:

> I was trying install cygwin rshd recently, It seems to work.
> except for one strange behavior: under the rshd
> environment, the winsock2 gethostbyname() interface will return
> WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND. It works fine if I  run the same code
> under rlogind or locally. (The application I am running is
> a very simple (20 lines of C code, no GUI) winsock application,
> it is not linked to the cygwin dll.

This may help explain the behaviour if you are linking to ws2_32.dll.

There are problems with the use of the WinSock2 API (ws2_32.dll) in
combination with the IPPROTO_IP level options defined in either
win32api/winsock.h or in cygwin/socket.h.

The IPPROTO_IP level macros defined in winsock.h or socket.h for
Winsock
1.1 are consistent with the original values Steve Deering defined in
his
document "IP Multicast Extensions for 4.3BSD UNIX related systems
(MULTICAST 1.2 Release)." However, these conflicted with the
definitions
for some IPPROTO_IP level socket options already assigned by BSD, so
Berkeley changed all the values by adding 7.

ws2_32.dll uses the 4.4BSD compatible values defined below.

#define	IP_TOS  3   /* old (winsock 1.1) value 8 */
#define	IP_TTL  4  /* old value 7 */
#define	IP_MULTICAST_IF 	9 /* old value 2 */
#define	IP_MULTICAST_TTL    10 /* old value 3 */
#define	IP_MULTICAST_LOOP   11 /* old value 4 */
#define	IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP   12 /* old value 5 */
#define	IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP  13 /* old value 6 */
#define IP_DONTFRAGMENT 14 /* old value 9 */

This change can cause errors or unexpected behaviour with the
[gs]etsockopt when mixing winsock1.1 definitions with the winsock2
library functions. (Recent versions of winsock32.dll forward most
exports to either ws2_32.dll or mswsock.dll, but - to retain backward
compatability - uses own versions of [gs]sockopt).

@ 2001-02-11 12:03 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-11 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: awc

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 10:36:15AM -0800, Andrew Chang wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>Thanks for creating the cygwin project, it is a very useful
>product.

I appreciate your appreciation, but I didn't create the project.
It predates my activities by at least two years.  The project was
created by a former Cygnus employee, Steve Chamberlain.  It was
sheparded along by various other ex-Cygnus employees like Jason
Molenda, Jeremy Allison, and most notably, Geoffrey Noer.

I started working on Cygwin for Cygnus in April of 1998 after having
been a net contributor for about a year.  DJ Delorie joined in July
1998.  I became manager of the Cygwin project in 1998.  Geoff left
the project sometime in early 1999, and Corinna joined Red Hat
on April 1, 2000 after also being a prolific net contributor.

DJ has recently moved into the GCC group but Corinna and I remain.

Cygwin is, of course, also supported by a number of selfless external
contributors who don't get paid to work on it (not that I actually
get paid to do any programming, but that's another issue...).

>I seem to hit a rshd bug, am wondering if anyone can help:
>
>I was trying install cygwin rshd recently, It seems to work.
>except for one strange behavior: under the rshd
>environment, the winsock2 gethostbyname() interface will return
>WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND. It works fine if I  run the same code
>under rlogind or locally. (The application I am running is
>a very simple (20 lines of C code, no GUI) winsock application,
>it is not linked to the cygwin dll.
>
>I found the following message on web.
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00743.html
>
>which seems to indicate rshd have some winsock related problem.
>I am wondering if it had been fixed.

This is addressed to me, but I know very little about rshd.  It's
not my area of expertise.  Maybe someone else here in the cygwin
mailing list can help.

cgf

* inetutils-1.3.2-10 on Cygwin 1.1.8-2
@ 2001-02-11 10:34 Andrew Chang
From: Andrew Chang @ 2001-02-11 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Chris,

Thanks for creating the cygwin project, it is a very useful
product. I evaluated MKS, Uwin and finally settled with
Cygwin. I uses Cygwin on a daily basis as a regression
test frame work for over a years now. (I purchased the cygwin CD
but I am on the cygwin net release now,
it seems to be more up to date)

I seem to hit a rshd bug, am wondering if anyone can help:

I was trying install cygwin rshd recently, It seems to work.
except for one strange behavior: under the rshd
environment, the winsock2 gethostbyname() interface will return
WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND. It works fine if I  run the same code
under rlogind or locally. (The application I am running is
a very simple (20 lines of C code, no GUI) winsock application,
it is not linked to the cygwin dll.

I found the following message on web.

which seems to indicate rshd have some winsock related problem.
I am wondering if it had been fixed.

Thanks

Andrew Chang