* Re: Re: 1.1.8: Cannot use "puts" with STDOUT in Expect.exe shell (WINNT)
@ 2001-03-14 18:06 thomask
From: thomask @ 2001-03-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: thomask

I put

CYGWIN=tty

into my .bashrc file, and the "channel stdout" error still happens.  Am I still doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Tom Klopfstein

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 08:01:38PM -0500, thomask@ponymail.com wrote:
>1.1.8: Cannot use "puts" with STDOUT in Expect.exe shell (WINNT)
>
>I cannot get the "puts" command to work with STDOUT
>with cygwin 1.1.8 under "Expect.exe" shell.  The sample code
>below does not work in the shell or when executing a script
>file.  However, "puts" does work with STDOUT in the "cygtclsh80.exe" shell.
>
>Sample,
>
>expect1.1> puts "sample string"
>can not find channel named "stdout"
>    while executing
>"puts "sample string""
>
>expect1.2>expect_version
>5.26
>
>expect1.3>

Try setting CYGWIN=tty before running expect.  Apparently expect needs
this for some reason.

cgf

~~~ Http://www.PonyMail.com ~ Low Cost Email Provider ~~~

* Re: Re: 1.1.8: Cannot use "puts" with STDOUT in Expect.exe shell (WINNT)
@ 2001-03-14 18:31 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-14 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: thomask

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 09:08:40PM -0500, thomask@ponymail.com wrote:
>I put
>
>CYGWIN=tty
>
>into my .bashrc file, and the "channel stdout" error still happens.  Am
>I still doing something wrong?

Yes.

In general, you should set the CYGWIN environment variable before you
run any Cygwin processes.

This means that you have to either start a console window:

C:\>set CYGWIN=tty
C:\>c:\wherever\bin\bash
bash$

or you have to use some other method for ensuring that the environment
variable is set in "Windows space".  On NT, you do this via
Control Panel->System->Environment Variables

On 9x, you could put this in your autoexec.bat.  Dunno how to do this
on ME.

cgf

* Re: Re: 1.1.8: Cannot use "puts" with STDOUT in Expect.exe shell (WINNT)
@ 2001-03-14 19:05   ` Michael Erdely
From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-03-14 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Think of Windows ME as Windows 98 SE with a Windows 2000 "look and feel".
It's almost exactly the same under the covers.

-ME

@ 2001-03-14 19:22     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-14 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 09:40:17PM -0500, Michael Erdely wrote:
>Think of Windows ME as Windows 98 SE with a Windows 2000 "look and feel".
>It's almost exactly the same under the covers.

But does it have autoexec.bat?  I thought that use of DOSisms was deprecated.

cgf

@ 2001-03-15  8:30       ` Michael Erdely
From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-03-15  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin