* More bizzare Bash-2.04-5 auto-completion problems
@ 2001-05-04  1:14 Sagar R. Shah
From: Sagar R. Shah @ 2001-05-04  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All

I am also suffering from the problem of not being able to use bash to
autocomplete script names of scripts that are in my path.

But before this becomes a 'me too' post, i've also noticed something else.
When i do:

S<tab><tab>

I get:

SAMPLES       SETVER.EXE    SORT.EXE      SVUNINST.EXE  SendTo
SCANDISK.EXE  SIGVERIF.EXE  SRS           SYS.COM       ShellNew
SCANDSKW.EXE  SMARTDRV.EXE  ST5UNST.EXE   SYSBCKUP      Start Menu
SCANREG.EXE   SNDREC32.EXE  START.EXE     SYSMON.EXE
SCANREGW.EXE  SNDVOL32.EXE  SUBST.EXE     SYSTEM
SETDEBUG.EXE  SOL.EXE       SULFNBK.EXE   SYSTEM32

Now as well as including EXEs which should be there, there are also
subdirectories of folders that are in my path.

The above command was executed from $HOME. But, for example, SendTo and
Start Menu are both subdirectories of /c/WINDOWS. And SRS is a subdirectory
of my /c/WORK/RELEASE/LIB

Should bash be doing this?  I tried the same on a linux box (which was
running an older verison of bash) and it doesn't.

I can't see any benifit of autocompleting directory names before a command
has first been entered. (ie. i agree that  cd S<tab><tab>  should list
sub-directories of the current directory).

Sagar

---------------------------------
Sagar R. Shah
http://www.netnexus.co.uk/
http://www.netnexus.uklinux.net/

* Re: More bizzare Bash-2.04-5 auto-completion problems
@ 2001-05-04  1:42 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-05-04  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 09:14:31AM +0100, Sagar R. Shah wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am also suffering from the problem of not being able to use bash to
> autocomplete script names of scripts that are in my path.
>
> But before this becomes a 'me too' post, i've also noticed something else.
> When i do:
>
> S<tab><tab>
>
> I get:
>
> SAMPLES       SETVER.EXE    SORT.EXE      SVUNINST.EXE  SendTo
> SCANDISK.EXE  SIGVERIF.EXE  SRS           SYS.COM       ShellNew
> SCANDSKW.EXE  SMARTDRV.EXE  ST5UNST.EXE   SYSBCKUP      Start Menu
> SCANREG.EXE   SNDREC32.EXE  START.EXE     SYSMON.EXE
> SCANREGW.EXE  SNDVOL32.EXE  SUBST.EXE     SYSTEM
> SETDEBUG.EXE  SOL.EXE       SULFNBK.EXE   SYSTEM32
>
> Now as well as including EXEs which should be there, there are also
> subdirectories of folders that are in my path.
>
> The above command was executed from $HOME. But, for example, SendTo and
> Start Menu are both subdirectories of /c/WINDOWS. And SRS is a subdirectory
> of my /c/WORK/RELEASE/LIB
>
> Should bash be doing this?  I tried the same on a linux box (which was
> running an older verison of bash) and it doesn't.
>
> I can't see any benifit of autocompleting directory names before a command
> has first been entered. (ie. i agree that  cd S<tab><tab>  should list
> sub-directories of the current directory).

Ok, I just checked that with 2.05-4 and 2.05-1, which is the version
using exactly the sources retrieved from ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash .

That behaviour is bash-2.05 behaviour and I've built it on Linux as
well to check that. It behaves the same way. So I would like to ask
you to move that discussion to the bash mailing list bug-bash@gnu.org.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.