* 1.3.2: date command does not show 3-letter time zone on NT.
@ 2001-07-16  6:02 Bil Mason
From: Bil Mason @ 2001-07-16  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have not tested this on any other Windows platform but NT.  To reproduce
the problem, open a cygwin shell and type "date".  On my system the results
look something like this:

bash-2.05$ date
Mon Jul 16 08:46:49  2001

Note that the 3-letter time zone abbreviation should appear between the time
and the year (for me that's EDT).

No combination of options will output the time zone including the most
obvious "date +%Z" (this produces blank output).

I tried changing to a few other time zones but no selection produced output
when using the date command.

My machine is an Intel Pentium 3 running Windows NT 4.0, SP 6.

======================= Confidentiality Statement =======================
The information contained in this message and any attachments is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received
this message in error, you are prohibited from copying, distributing, or
using the information.  Please contact the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the original message from your system.
===================== End Confidentiality Statement =====================

* Re: 1.3.2: date command does not show 3-letter time zone on NT.
@ 2001-07-16 12:01 ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2001-07-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bil.Mason; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:56:31 -0400, Bil Mason <Bil.Mason@healthcare.com> wrote:

> I have not tested this on any other Windows platform but NT.  To reproduce
> the problem, open a cygwin shell and type "date".  On my system the results
> look something like this:
>
> bash-2.05$ date
> Mon Jul 16 08:46:49  2001
>
> Note that the 3-letter time zone abbreviation should appear between the time
> and the year (for me that's EDT).
>
> No combination of options will output the time zone including the most
> obvious "date +%Z" (this produces blank output).

The Linux and the Cygwin date are derived from the same source
[ date (GNU sh-utils) 2.0  Written by David MacKenzie ] so it should be
the same. I did not look into it but I will do it by the weekend. The
`date' that comes from ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ has the 3 letters
time zone (but has other problems).

The `zic' `zdump' and various relating man pages should be included in
Cygwin. I posted a suggestion about it 2 weeks ago but got no comments.
I'm willing to maintain it (check for new versions and make any
necessary adjustments).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-6212-757 Fax: +972-3-6292-544   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* Re: 1.3.2: date command does not show 3-letter time zone on NT.
@ 2001-07-16 12:48   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-07-16 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ehud, Bil.Mason; +Cc: cygwin

At 03:01 PM 7/16/2001, Ehud Karni wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:56:31 -0400, Bil Mason <Bil.Mason@healthcare.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have not tested this on any other Windows platform but NT.  To reproduce
> > the problem, open a cygwin shell and type "date".  On my system the results
> > look something like this:
> >
> > bash-2.05$ date
> > Mon Jul 16 08:46:49  2001
> >
> > Note that the 3-letter time zone abbreviation should appear between the time
> > and the year (for me that's EDT).
> >
> > No combination of options will output the time zone including the most
> > obvious "date +%Z" (this produces blank output).
>
>The Linux and the Cygwin date are derived from the same source
>[ date (GNU sh-utils) 2.0  Written by David MacKenzie ] so it should be
>the same. I did not look into it but I will do it by the weekend. The
>`date' that comes from ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ has the 3 letters
>time zone (but has other problems).
>
>The `zic' `zdump' and various relating man pages should be included in
>Cygwin. I posted a suggestion about it 2 weeks ago but got no comments.
>I'm willing to maintain it (check for new versions and make any
>necessary adjustments).

Have you seen the FAQ entry for this?

How do I contribute a package?
http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC78

If not, check it out.  If so and you're "there" already, you just need
access to upload your stuff.  Corinna or Chris will need to provide this
for you.  Chris is on vacation until next week.  Also, you should
subscribe to cygwin-apps if you're not already.

* Re: 1.3.2: date command does not show 3-letter time zone on NT.
@ 2001-07-16 13:47   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-16 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 10:01:04PM +0300, Ehud Karni wrote:
> The `zic' `zdump' and various relating man pages should be included in
> Cygwin. I posted a suggestion about it 2 weeks ago but got no comments.
> I'm willing to maintain it (check for new versions and make any
> necessary adjustments).

zic, zdump, etc aren't part of the base distro. I don't see a reason
to install man pages for non-existant tools, somehow.

By "I'm willing to maintain it" do you mean to maintain the tools as
part of the base distro? If so, you're welcome to offer a package for
the distro, of course.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: 1.3.2: date command does not show 3-letter time zone on NT.
@ 2001-07-16 14:03     ` Dave BT
From: Dave BT @ 2001-07-16 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Hi,

I have just installed Cygwin... and pretty much everything seems to be
running fine - however - my Username contains a space.
the bash PS1 prompt displays my USERNAME with this space - even thoughI set
Username to a signle word.

Any ideas how to reset (permenantly) my Username for Cygwin to a single
name?

Dave Gordon.... ooo - Hi

-

* Re: 1.3.2: date command does not show 3-letter time zone on NT.
@ 2001-07-17  1:33       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-17  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 10:03:04PM +0100, Dave BT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed Cygwin... and pretty much everything seems to be
> running fine - however - my Username contains a space.
> the bash PS1 prompt displays my USERNAME with this space - even thoughI set
> Username to a signle word.
>
> Any ideas how to reset (permenantly) my Username for Cygwin to a single
> name?

Change it in the NT user manager. Call mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd.

or

set CYGWIN=... ntsec ...

Change your name in /etc/passwd.

Corinna