* Re: Degrading tty behaviour
@ 2001-07-24 15:27 Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-07-24 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
 > Unfortunately your mail sounds just like ranting without providing
 > any detail, so I will trash it.

Why do you assume this? What was it about my mail that made you think this?
I would genuinely like to know. The posting certainly wasn't meant as a
rant and its this sort of repsonse that makes it difficult to work with the
cygwin developers.

 > I'm using vim-5.8 all day long and I'm using CYGWIN=tty setting from
 > a ssh connection to the NT box. I have also just tried it with CYGWIN=tty
 > from a cmd window. Works for me (except from mutt which I can reproduce).

And I cannot use vim-5.8 because of this problem. Removing tty from my
CYGWIN environment fixes it - which seems pretty compelling evidence to me.
This is true on both NT and W2K. Note that it *does* work from a cmd
window, it *doesn't* work from a cygwin bash window. Surely using a ssh
connection to the NT box is not a reasonable test given that it is
shell/window dependant?

What more details would you like to see? Did you try C-c'ing a java process
from within bash also?

Thanks

andy

* Re: Degrading tty behaviour
@ 2001-07-25  1:16 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-25  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 03:28:42PM -0700, Andy Piper wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>  > Unfortunately your mail sounds just like ranting without providing
>  > any detail, so I will trash it.
>
> Why do you assume this? What was it about my mail that made you think this?
> I would genuinely like to know. The posting certainly wasn't meant as a
> rant and its this sort of repsonse that makes it difficult to work with the
> cygwin developers.

Quote: "The behaviour of apps under CYGWIN=tty appears to be bitrotting
        (for instance try using the current vi and cygwin with this
	setting - its totally impossible)"

What exactly at this sentence gives me (or any other active cygwin
developer) any detail to work with?

"It doesn't work" will not give you any helpful response on any
mailing list, especially when combined with snide comments.

>  > I'm using vim-5.8 all day long and I'm using CYGWIN=tty setting from
>  > a ssh connection to the NT box. I have also just tried it with CYGWIN=tty
>  > from a cmd window. Works for me (except from mutt which I can reproduce).
>
> And I cannot use vim-5.8 because of this problem. Removing tty from my
> CYGWIN environment fixes it - which seems pretty compelling evidence to me.

Fine. What next? I told you I can't reproduce that. That's still true.
What details can you provide except for "it doesn't work". What exactly
doesn't work? You didn't even mention that!

The next sentence in your mail begins with: "C-c behaviour is also broken..."
So your first sentence is not related to a non-functional C-c. So what
is it what doesn't work?

> This is true on both NT and W2K. Note that it *does* work from a cmd
> window, it *doesn't* work from a cygwin bash window. Surely using a ssh
> connection to the NT box is not a reasonable test given that it is
> shell/window dependant?
>
> What more details would you like to see? Did you try C-c'ing a java process
> from within bash also?

I have not the faintest idea about java. So the answer is no, I never
started any java application from a Cygwin shell nor from cmd.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Degrading tty behaviour
@ 2001-07-25 13:49 ` Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-07-25 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Piper; +Cc: cygwin

Andy,

about this C-c'ing a java process from within bash-
This was recently discussed with a subject like "ctrl break handling
in bash and java" or something (IIRC). I don't remember the specific
message, but search the archives with google. The general gist of the
problem was that cygwin treats C-c the same as CTRL-BREAK and that was
bad for java processes started/stopped from the cygwin bash shell.
Apparently the C-c from cygwin bash killed the java process without
letting it clean up- it was an interesting discussion.

HTH,
Peter

Corrina-

I wasn't clear about the part in your mail that was in response
to Andy's question about ssh being a reasonable test- Did you try
it without using ssh?

>>Corinna>> "I told you I can't reproduce that. That's still true."

>>Andy>> "Surely using a ssh connection to the NT box is not a reasonable test given that it is shell/window dependant?"

> What more details would you like to see? Did you try C-c'ing a java process
> from within bash also?
>
> Thanks
>
> andy
>
> --

* Re: Degrading tty behaviour
@ 2001-07-25 16:30   ` Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-07-25 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Buckley; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-07-26  1:06   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-26  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:49:03PM -0400, Peter Buckley wrote:
> Corrina-
>
> I wasn't clear about the part in your mail that was in response
> to Andy's question about ssh being a reasonable test- Did you try
> it without using ssh?

Yes, I did. And I tried it today again. I have absolutely no
problem to use vim-5.8 in a console window with CYGWIN=tty.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Degrading tty behaviour
@ 2001-07-28  1:32 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-28  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 07:22:37PM -0700, Andy Piper wrote:
> Corinna, what do you have TERM set to?

In xterm "xterm", in the cmd window "cygwin".

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Degrading tty behaviour
@ 2001-07-27 19:25 Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-07-27 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-07-27 19:19 Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-07-27 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com> writes

 > Yes, it it. Perhaps you missed my announcement? I wrote this
 > (including the `==' lines):

 > into the announcement. Don't you have ncurses installed, perhaps?

Seems unlikely that vim would come up at all if I didn't n'est pas? :)
It also seems unlikely that cygcheck would be able to find the ncurses
packages.

 > Oh, and, btw, _if_ you missed the announcement, ctags is an own
 > package now as it's usual now since vim-5.8 and ctags-5.0.1

I always install everything - unless of course something doesn't work :)

andy

* Re: Degrading tty behaviour
@ 2001-07-26  0:53 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-26  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:41:29PM -0700, Andy Piper wrote:
> Earnie Boyd writes:
>
>  > What does the output of `cygcheck vim' give?
>
> vim 5.8:
>
> SHALOM andyp> cygcheck vim
> Found: E:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe
> E:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe
>    E:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>      E:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
>        E:\WINNT\System32\ntdll.dll
>    E:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses5.dll
>
> vim 5.7:
>
> SHALOM andyp> cygcheck vim
> Found: E:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe
> E:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe
>    E:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>      E:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
>        E:\WINNT\System32\ntdll.dll
>
> So I guess it got built with ncurses latterly?

Yes, it it. Perhaps you missed my announcement? I wrote this
(including the `==' lines):

    vim-5.8-1 depends on an installed ncurses package!

@ 2001-07-25 16:43 Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-07-25 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-07-25 16:39 Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-07-25 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com> wrote:
 > Fine. What next? I told you I can't reproduce that. That's still true.
 > What details can you provide except for "it doesn't work". What exactly
 > doesn't work? You didn't even mention that!

My mistake. vim comes up but then any user input just makes it beep. For
it to get out. The build of vim 5.7.x works fine.

 > The next sentence in your mail begins with: "C-c behaviour is also
broken..."
 > So your first sentence is not related to a non-functional C-c. So what
 > is it what doesn't work?

I have reported this before. If you run a java program within bash and try
to C-c it, everything is fine. If you try to run a java program within a
shell-script within bash it is uninteruptible. C-z however does still work.
This is only true with CYGWIN=tty, without this everything is fine.

I only mention java because it is the one clearly reproducible problem from
a bunch of C-c issues I have when using CYGWIN=tty and bash.

Thanks

andy

* Re: Degrading tty behaviour
@ 2001-07-25 13:33 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-07-25 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andy,

What does the output of `cygcheck vim' give?

Earnie.

* Re: Degrading tty behaviour
@ 2001-06-05  0:22 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-06-05  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 07:43:35PM -0700, Andy Piper wrote:
> The behaviour of apps under CYGWIN=tty appears to be bitrotting (for
> instance try using the current vi and cygwin with this setting - its
> totally impossible).

I'm using vim-5.8 all day long and I'm using CYGWIN=tty setting from
a ssh connection to the NT box. I have also just tried it with CYGWIN=tty
from a cmd window. Works for me (except from mutt which I can reproduce).

Unfortunately your mail sounds just like ranting without providing
any detail, so I will trash it.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Degrading tty behaviour
@ 2001-06-04 19:43 Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-06-04 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The behaviour of apps under CYGWIN=tty appears to be bitrotting (for
instance try using the current vi and cygwin with this setting - its
totally impossible). C-c behaviour is also broken using this (for instance
start java inside a shell script and try and interrupt it). Is this option
no longer functional? XEmacs used to rely on it for correct pty control. Is
this still the case?

andy